I need help with Brake Line and TEE 1931 Dodge DH 4dr Sedan

Guest D G L

Working on brakes on my 1931 Dodge DH - new brake shoe linings - new master cylinder done by Apple Hydraulics (great job) - finished adjusting brakes and realized that on the brake line going from the master cylinder to the brake line TEE there was a leak in the larger main connection - upon inspection the inside of the tTEE at that point looked like it was damaged therefore the leak - I am now looking to find a new brake line TEE with the main connection and three other smaller connections - I was told that it would be wise to replace the line from the master cylinder to this TEE with a new line - is it OK to replace with a steel line? or is it possible to use copper. Sure do appreciate some advice - tomorrow I am planning on taking a trip to NAPA or other nearby parts stores with my damaged TEE in hand and will be taking the piece of brake line that goes from the bottom of the master cylinder to the TEE to see what they recommend - I also plan to heed the advice of some Dodge Brothers also.

Thanks for listening and thanks for any or all replies.

Don Lohr

dlohr@verizon.net

I dont know what they used originally in 31 but my 30 used steel lines originally from the master to the dist. point. I have had some people tell me this is incorect but I am certain it is true. You can also use copper, that is what most people do since it is easier to bend I guess. If you posted a picture of the tee you might find someone here including myself that might have a spare lying around.

You can still get seamless copper nickel alloy brake lines that are of course rust proof and is said to be as strong as steel. Alot of guys like it because of its flexability. It is used in alot of performance appications today such as Aston Martin Audi and some others and it looks authentic to what was originally used in many earlier applications. One company that produces it is Fedhill but it is avail thru your local Napa dealer if you choose to pay the middle man or have a buddy that can get you a doscount.

A friend of mine has been using it in his 30 Bantam for years with no problems.

Hi All,

My two cents, my father & I (I'm 65 now) restored our 31 DH over 48 yrs ago. We used copper and doubled flared the ends. He had a special tool. He always had "special tools".During those 48 yrs. I've redone the brakes a few times mostly to replace the brake fluid that became gooey from lack of use,but never because of leaking lines or connections.

(I'm knocking on wood now) I'm sold on copper. Maybe the copper tubing was better back then.

As Forrest Gump says, "That's all I have to say about that."

Every tubing has a maximum burst pressure depending on what it was designed to be used for. If my memory serves me correctly, brake tubing has a burst pressure of about 10,000 lbs/p.s.i. Every day copper tubing made for typical household plumbing is NOT designed for the pressures of an automobile's brake system and SHOULD NOT be used.

I am not familiar with the copper alloys used way back in the day to make the brake lines but I'm sure they were not nearly as strong as the brake lines manufactured today. You won't find brake lines made from copper today. The product I believe 1930 is referring to is called "Cunifer" and is available thru Fedhill. It is a European made brake line that is similar in appearance to copper but somewhat lighter.

I installed it on my 1929 Chrysler because I was going for the original look of copper while having the safety standards of today. After I installed it, someone told me the antique Ford people have a copper plated steel brake line to look just like the original. For safety and originality, that is probably the way to go.

If you have original copper lines, do yourself a favor and replace them. Joe Cozza, sounds like you have gotten lucky thru out the years but you are pressing your luck when pressing that brake pedal. If you value your life as well as others, please replace them.

Dan

Hi Bob, I would revert back to Dougs comment about the lines, he told me something that I did not know but makes sense. I have used my original lines where I can do so and use my own suggestion and the suggestion of 29 Chrysler where I have to as far as the replacements. I used all the original fittings and ends, I have a real good hose guy that was able to incorprate all of my original ends with the new rubber where used.

Do you have an original rear rubber line?? I need to know its length so I can have that one done. Thanks

I did receive this e-mail from DGL when I got home this afternoon and am not sure how he sent or how to respond so hopefully he will see it here and my response is glad that I could help and sorry if I was not quite ( or nearly ) specific enough at first. I should of possibly have suggested that you dont go to home depot for some copper tubing to fix your brakes.

I really appreciate your reply - very informative!

Don Lohr

Jason,

Thanks for the update. All my copper lines are original and have the brass ends. They have worked great in the past, but as one poster said maybe I'm just lucky. Fortunately, where I live is basically flat, so wouldn't be carreening down a hill if my brakes happened to go out! I did talk to a mechanic who could make new lines for me, reuse the ends and has the equipment to flare the ends. He couldn't believe the hydraulic pressure could reach 10,000 psi though.

As far as the hoses go I haven't replced them since I bought the car in '71. As far as I know they're original, but can't say for sure. They have brass ends I believe too. The car is getting it's valve work done now, so isn't here. When I get it back (1 week?) I check that hose length for you.

When I mentioned 10,000 lbs,/psi, I was talking about MAXIMUM burst pressure. NORMAL operating pressure would be 1/4 to 1/5 that pressure. So about 2,000 to 2,500 would be about normal operating pressures.

I'm confused about e-mails and responses received from other parties. Can you post them for all to see?

As I mentioned before, The Ford people apparently have steel brake lines that are copper plated to look just like the original.

Dan