RIVIERA emblem removal/replacement

MrEarl

Lookin for how to's on removing the "glued on" emblems my 93 Riviera. Also what type adhesive to use on replacing it. One of mine is broken and THANKS to Jim Finn I have a very nice used one to replace it. It has adhesive on it and I want to ensure I don't damage it removing it.

thanks in advance for your help.

Mr. Earl,

Hopefully you're enjoying your new purchase. It's a real beaut.

I've had good luck removing glued on emblems by using a thin string between the emblem and the car body as you would when you floss your teeth. Start with dental floss and see if it's strong enough to cut the glue with out breaking. If not, you might have to use some monofilament fishing line.

Applying a little heat to the emblem to soften the glue won't hurt either. After that, use 3M's General Adhesive Remover to clean the area thoroughly. This is the best way I've found for removing emblems without harming the underlying paint.

Ed

Mr. Earl,

Apparently you're not worried about breaking the bad one since you already have the new replacement.

Try the 3M General Adhesive Remover on the back of the replacement emblem; it should work fine. I used two cans of that stuff removing tree sap from the paint on one of my cars; it didn't damage the paint in anyway.

Ed

I've been very sucessful using a plastic spatula to remove 'Riviera' scripts...even the delicate ones from the 95-99's. I work it around the letters at a slow pace with just a tad of pressure....have yet to break one.

I remove old adhesive on the backside of the script by placing it on a flat/level service (i.e. on a piece of towel on a workbench). While holding it securely, I slowly scrape off the old stuff with a flat metal putty knife and pointed carpenter's knife.

In the past, I've also come across at least two of 86-93 NOS sets (one set = 3 scripts) on ebay which I've purchased and store w/ the used ones I've collected.