Grundy Insurance

Guest re-reatta

Guest re-reatta

:confused: I'll be sending the paperwork in to Grundy, probably tomorrow. Annual premium for $7500.00 agreed value, unlimited mileage, is $138.00. Anybody have any thoughts, pro or con, before I send it in ?

Thanks for any input,

Kevin

I moved four collector cars to Grundy several years ago when my other carrier didn't seem interested in covering newer collectibles like Reattas. I have no complaints. When our Riviera suffered a serious crack in its windshield from a stone tossed up by a truck, they payed to have a new windshield installed, no questions asked, and there was no deductible.

I have had no other claims.

Guest re-reatta

Sorry it took so long to reply, I called it a night right after I posted.

Lugnuts - Thanks for the input.:)

D-a-n-i-e-l - They do ask if the engine has been changed or modified or if it will be.:mad:

Bushwack - That is for a 12 month premium.:D

Guest steveskyhawk

The devil is ALWAYS in the details. I have 5 cars with Haggerty. When I was shopping for "collector car" insurance I found the prices similar and much cheaper than say 21st century. The usage clause in the policy at Grundy was a deal killer. Unlimited milage sounds great but if you continue to read it will limit WHERE the car can be driven. I'd personally like to go someplace (Grundy) besides car shows and parades. Haggarty on the other hand bases premiums on staterd value and allows you to select the milage limits. More miles = more money. The policy states that the car cannot be "REGULARLY" used as a back up or second car. I have 5 Reattas, a VW convertible, 2 pick up trucks and a small airplane. I cant drive or fly anything "regularly". I dont have that many places to go! If I go any distance I take a taxi and a Southwest Jet.

Be sure to read the fine print. I'm confident that if you have a total loss that usage will be a part of the claim investigation.

Guest re-reatta

The car will be garaged. I asked about the limited usage because I too was concerned that I would be limiting myself too much. I specifically asked about a Sunday drive or a trip to the local ice cream shop some evening and was told that would be OK. Just can't use it for work or daily errands or regular transportation. You never know, until you need them. I hope I pay them for years and never need them.

Kevin

I have been in the collector car hobby for 36 years, and any insurance company that specializes in collector cars will have some restrictions on the use of the car. I have driven Buicks 6,000 miles across the country and back for Buick events with Grundy's blessing, but would they be concerned if I used a collector car as a daily driver, I'm sure they would. I have never heard of a company that would object to Sunday drives, car events, and the usual collector care usage.

Speciality insurers offer discounted rates to collector car owners because they expect the cars to be in limited use and to receive above average care.

I've had JC Taylor for years and there has never been a problem. Right now I have the Judge insured for a significant value and two Fiero GTs not so. The others are with Geico. The JCT portion comes to just under $350/year mostly for the JudgeOK. Now can get choice of any of five out without moving any other.

Application just says the car will be used mainly for exhibitions, shows, and such and not primarily for transporting passengers which leaves a lot of gray area in the middle, Obviously it needs to be taken out once in a while just to "blow the carbon out".

My assumption is that the rates being discussed here are for collision coverage only. Is that correct? My present policy for my Reatta costs $159.00 for collision. It is used as a second car and there are no restrictions. However, by the time other items are added including liability, medical payments, uninsured motorists, personal injury protection and comprehensive we are just under $1,200.00 per year. How would this differ when using a specialty insurer?

J

No: collision, comprehensive, liability, PIP - the kitchen sink is in the specialty coverage though it is usually divided into a flat rate per $1000 for C&C, then a second charge for liability, UI, pIP, etc. The second charge generaly declines as you add more cars.

I imagine it also varies by location.

Guest re-reatta

Padgett is correct. That price, $138.00 for the year, is for everything. Those who use their Reatta as a daily driver would not be able to take advantage of this "GREAT RATE". If, however, you use it for pleasure only, (sunday drive,car show), you can't beat it.

• 2 months later...
Guest Mandelinawhite
:confused: I'll be sending the paperwork in to Grundy, probably tomorrow. Annual premium for $7500.00 agreed value, unlimited mileage, is $138.00. Anybody have any thoughts, pro or con, before I send it in ?

Thanks for any input,

Kevin

Just Go through this online-autoinsurance.net . You will surely get solution.

My "classic auto" policy has all of the typical restrictions; mileage, garage, pleasure/car show drives only, and they needed to see that my wife and I each owned another car.

But, for the "pleasure drive" clauses: if you actually got into an accident going to a store, or the like, just don't describe the trip as an "errand"; say you were on a "pleasure drive", and were making a stop to....

Even if you were going to a car show, they have to expect you to be able to stop in a quick-e-mart to get a cup of coffee, or something.

If the accident occurs in your work's parking lot............uh oh.