55 buick ac pictures needed

PONTIAC1953

I assume you're talking about the rubber accordian looking ducts that go from the evaporator assembly to the intake grilles. Can't help with pictures but if you're considering having some made, count me in. Both AC parts cars I have the rubber has rotted. I may could piece some together enough to help make a mold.

Guest Buick Bonery

I have a 55 Super with AC, so I snapped a few quick shots. I don't understand what you mean by a return system. I see fresh air coming in through the outside ducts, and I see cooled air going up through the package tray and into the clear plastic ducts. Let's continue this discussion so that we keep all our ducts in a row.:P

post-55336-14313810571_thumb.jpg

post-55336-143138105713_thumb.jpg

i have more room from the top of the unit up to the underside of the package tray, in my 53 custom catalina's trunk, 11 to 12 inches. the unit rectangular openings are 6"x 8", i'm looking around to see what kind of material to make the ducts out of. i also need to make the 6"x 8" collars that will be in the package tray underneath the plastic intake grills. i wish now that i had removed the 55 roadmaster's package tray sheet metal,lol. my 53 custom catalina will be a one of a kind, with 54 pontiac in dash air, and 55 buick air in the rear package tray. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Guest Buick Bonery

Well, I rummaged around in the trunk of the 55 and Lo and Behold, I found these two ducts for the air conditioning return. They have metal clasps so that they fit firmly around the phalanges. I shall immediately forward them on to Mr. Earl for replication.

post-55336-1431381061_thumb.jpg

I made my return air ducts from that plastic "cardboard" that yard signs are made from. Then I painted them black. They are difficult to see once mounted in the trunk of my Special. I just cut 4" strips (the distance from the evaporator to the package tray) and bent them into an open ended box. This IS the return air. Since I added the AC to my car, I didn't install the "fresh air" ducts, since they leak AND it's too bloody hot in Texas to desire adding hot outside air into my car.

hi mike, they leak ?, if any water gets inside the fresh air scoops, there's a drain tube on each side that allows the water to drain down below the floor of the trunk. and also, there's a summer/winter air valve that you move to either let or not let out side air come into the unit. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor, building a 1953 pontiac custom catalina with both the 1954 pontiac factory air up front, in dash, and the 1955 buick factory rear air in the trunk, two cool, don't ya think ?

Hi Charles,

I took both of those things into consideration. I wasn't going to risk messing up my trunk upholstery due to a leak. Yes, I know about the drain tubes, but I drive the snot out of my car especially to and from the Nationals every year. I drove through a hurricane on the way home several years back. Those ducts that run from the outside intake grill to the side of the trunk unit are not waterproof. If they leak (and they will) you run the possibility of wrecking the one piece of upholstery that cannot be replaced without pulling the AC unit. The "summer/ winter" valve was bypassed and taped shut by me because of the weather down here in central Texas. While not the norm, we have had 67 days over 100 degrees this year. Hottest summer ever... After last year when we had 66 days over 100. In the "winter" I don't need the AC. Thus, my decision to deactivate that feature.

These may not apply to you, just explaining my reasoning.

hi mike, i understand your reasons, i'm going to be using black rubber flex 2" hoses to feed outside air and use those drain tubes to keep water out of the trunk area, i also am thinking that when i have the trunk floor and area recovered, it won't be installed under the a/c unit. i'm using for the outside scoops, austrailian cadillac 1955-56 scoops, not only are these scoops shorter in length than the u.s. cadillac scoops, they also already are made to take the 2" hose, where the u.s. cadillac scoops have oblong collars that are much larger than the 2'.