Where can I buy a pair of "Assist cords"

Guest hudsonhire

Guest hudsonhire

Hello

I live in New Zealand

I'm wanting to buy a pair of assist cords for one of the antique 1920's Hudson cars I hire out for weddings. But they're no longer available in this country. I hoping that they are still available somewhere else in the world and that you can tell me where I need to go to get them. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Brett of Hudson Hire

www.hudsonhire.co.nz

Are these a brand of Tire??? :confused: Dandy Dave!

Dave...you were kidding, right? A guy with a car as old as yours must know about these. Assist cords or straps are the "hand holds" located in the rear of a four door sedan just aft of the rear door. You grab it on the way out of the car to help you out.

Guest hudsonhire

Guys

Thanks for all your replies, I enjoyed the humor.

Yes, the "assist straps" that Lebaron Bonney sell are close and will do if I can't find any better. (thanks Steve for this) But the car they're going in had a fancy twisted cord like that you find on expensive drapey (curtains) rather than just a plain strap. Any ideas where I can get these fancy cords from?

Thank you

Brett

Guest bkazmer

For assist cords, assuming you have the hardware, go to a drapery store or a fabric store. Assist straps (wide and flat) can be bought or made from interior trim material.

Guys

Thanks for all your replies, I enjoyed the humor.

Yes, the "assist straps" that Lebaron Bonney sell are close and will do if I can't find any better. (thanks Steve for this) But the car they're going in had a fancy twisted cord like that you find on expensive drapey (curtains) rather than just a plain strap. Any ideas where I can get these fancy cords from?

Thank you

Brett

Fabric or draft store. Got some from there myself once. The place is out of business or has moved since.

Dave...you were kidding, right? A guy with a car as old as yours must know about these. Assist cords or straps are the "hand holds" located in the rear of a four door sedan just aft of the rear door. You grab it on the way out of the car to help you out.

Ok...You got me! ;) I had some of these that were in a 1928 or 29 Desoto that was the first old wreck of a car that I ever had. I just did not know what they were called. I is gettin smarter all the time that I hang around here. :D Dandy Dave!

Guest elmo39

hudsonhire,i always thought that assist cords were to help if your driver was cornering to fast ,anyway i to live in NZ , this is where living at the bottom of the world usualy pays off , we are more lucky than most in that there are still some of the old time tradesmen still around , and still working.i suppose you could class me as one of them (car painter, i,m coming up 70 )but the job i,m currently working on will be my last , its time i worked on my own car .my advice would be to ask around in the vintage car movement , if you have the fitings there should be someone who can help or give you advice

Guest elmo39

if i,m right they were not just twisted , they were actualy platted out of leather , the same way older horse bridles were platted , my earlier reply still stands , if you look around there will be some one that can do it