Tyre flaps or not.

I need to replace an inner tube in the disc wheels (easy clean wheels) of my 1930 Cadillac. The guy at the tube shop said it should have a tyre flap in there as well, I would not have expected this being a smooth surface so ask you guys. Is he correct or trying it on to get more money from me?

Kind Regards

Peter

I say, for the slight expense, yes to the tube flap use. All it can do is protect the tube better. You never know what might get between the wheel and tube and a flat is no fun way of finding out.

I now use a vinyl type tape plumbing stores carry for use when running non-metallic natural gas lines. I believe I picked up the tip from one of the big tires suppliers. Done it for awhile now with great success.

If you do order flaps, the last time the customer ordered a set the tire place sent him flaps that were actual stated diameter, not the diameter of the recessed portion of the stated wheel size, so if you do use flaps anyway, wrap a tape around the wheel and know the recessed diameter before you call. I called them after finding the mistake and it turned out they didn't make a flap for a wheel in that small of a diameter, anyway ('33 Cadillac wire wheels).

Don't mix up "rim strips" with "tire flaps." The strips are narrow pieces like big rubber bands. Flaps are quite wide and are tapered (and cost a lot more). I quote Norm Kling from the Model T Forum: "The tube goes in first, then the flap and then the whole assembly goes on the rim. It protects the tube from being pinched between the bead and the rim and also between the ends of a split rim, if you have a split rim. There is also a rim strip for the drop center wire wheels which goes in the middle of the rim right over where the spokes are welded on. This is a much narrower strip than the flap. You don't need a flap with the drop center rims if you are careful installing them."

Flaps seem worth the effort, and are often recommended.

Phil

Edited by MochetVelo (see edit history)

Thanks for all the comments, the wheels are the snap ring type. The wheel centres are dead flat so the tyre, tube and flap can just slide on, thanks for the tip about the dropped centre diameter.

I have used flaps in the demountable split rims on my Buicks and for a piece of rubber they get pricey, over here the 21" ones are £15 each ($24), tubes are £25 ($40).

Kind Regards

Peter

(England)

1928 Buick 28-24X

1928 Buick 47

1930 Buick 47

1931 Buick 90LX

1930 Cadillac 7 passenger landaulette