1989 Buick Reatta Headlight Allignment

Guest StevenHull

Guest StevenHull

Hey guys. I never have posted here but I have learned alot from this forum, hopefully someone here can assist me. :) One of my headlights raises up higher than the other one. Is there any quick fixes for this, or has anyone ever had this problem before?

Thanks!

There is something missing or broken. With good parts, there is little or no adjustment to the up or down position of the lights. I have found some painted covers with shims under the hold down screws to align the painted cover with the hood and fender.

The UP-STOP could be way out of adjustment (up) and holding the pivoting assembly from fully opening......BUT something is broken or worn to allow that to happen.

Guest StevenHull

So, in your opinion would this be something that should be fixed by a professional or something that I should try and fix. I guess that by looking at the service manual I could find out what parts were broken/gone. This car was not taken care of before I got it, and alot of issues. :) This is the only major problem left (well not counting power locks, meh) hopefully it won't be a hard fix.

Guest Kingsley

I have not seen this issue raised - do your headlamps

"jiggle" when open or driving?

In the course of developing my new crank am, I built a test stand which is a stand alone headlamp assembly which allows full view of all of the components. In analyzing the function of the "stablizer" assembly (my verbiage) I found that certain conditions will allow the headlamp assembly to over-travel the max opening point and then slightly close. About four turns of the manual knob are required to raise them to max opening.

This could well be a partial factor in the situation here.

When all of my testing is complete, I will post the results on the Forum. I am sure that there are many different ideas on this - some of them not in agreement with my thoughts - but I think it will shed light on what takes place between the frame stop and the hex-head screw/nylon insert nut in the course of the headlamp opening movement.

A good open discussion on the Forum should be beneficial on this aspect of the headlamp assembly which, to my limited knowledge, is not covered by any manual or commentary.

Edited by Kingsley (see edit history)

Steven,

You should probably consider renovating the retracting mechanisms. If you have any degree of mechanical ability it's reasonably easy. Both Barney Eaton and Kingsley here on the forums sell kits with instructions to restore full and proper functioning.

Guest wally888

I have repaired several HDLP assemblies + used Barnie's replacement for the pivot arm. It is fail proof and works great!