Brake Problem 39 Chrysler

John348

This one has got me, a friend of mine called me to take a look at his 39 Chrysler because he could not figure it out.

Problem: After driving about 8-10 miles with minimum use of brakes the car pulls to the left real hard, and the pedal gets real high and hard. Everything was replaced, lines wheel cylinders, hoses and master was rebuilt with a sleeve. (second master the owner thought that was it) When the car is pulled on to a lift the front wheels and the right rear will not move, almost as if they are locked up, left rear is fine and spins free. I had a similar problem years ago and it was due to air so we bleed the system before the test ride and there was air in the system. We went for a ride and the problem was still there. It was real hot from the wheels locking up and the engine temp climbed to 200 degrees.

The part that puzzles me is that the left rear is fine!

We could not pull the wheels because they were locked up.

Thoughts???????

Sounds an awful lot like another brake adjustment is in order. It also sounds as if the left rear is nowhere near the correct adjustment if all of the others are locking up. Not to insult, but were the brakes bled from the farthest away from the master cylinder to the nearest to the master cylinder(in that order)? One more thing...did you make certain that the primary shoes and secondary shoes were in their correct positions?

Does the owner have a shop manual? I know that some of these Chrysler brakes can be VERY finicky if the lower anchor bolts have been turned out wrong. There is a real system to adjusting these along with a special tool for adjustments.

A friend of mine had a similar experience using silicone brake fluid. He switched back to DOT 3 and had no more problems. Apparently the low pressure/high volume systems used on early cars do not like the silicone fluid. I've been told that the silicone fluid absorbs microscopic air bubbles that cause problems due to the larger volume of fluid.

I feel sure you will need to start again with the brake shoe adjustments; find a copy of the correct procedure and follow it to the letter. Unless you get this right you will find yourself chasing your tail forever and a day, all the bleeding in the world will not rectify the situation.

If the rod that connects the brake pedal to the master cylinder is adjusted too long then the relief port in the master cylinder is blocked and pressure will build up in the braking system. In my case, and others I have heard of, it can happen in between 1 and 10 or so miles of driving. You will end up with a rock hard pedal and wheels locked up.

However if that happens generally it is more than one wheel that is locked up. So I'd hazard a guess that there are two problems: 1) Master cylinder rod too long. 2) Not all wheels adjusted the same.

PS: I've been running silicone brake fluid in my 1933 for 11 or 12 years now with no issues.

Latest update,

First I would like to thank all of you for your thoughts and advice!

I spoke with the owner last night and he told me that he pulled the left front drum when everything cooled down and had his daughter apply the brakes just enough to allow the shoes to travel. When the pedal was released the shoes did not return to thier seat. He checked the return springs and they were fine. He had to place a pry bar against the show to bring it in.

I think also there are two problems going on, he did say he never liked the wheel cylinders they were new but felt they were of poor quality, so he was going to find his old ones and have them sleeved and rebuilt, I think the problem is in the master not releasing.

More to come

Steve,

Thanks, I have used them before they did his master.

Update, owner called today and said he released the line from the wheel cylinder and still had to use a pry bar to move the cylinder back, he is sending his old ones out to apple hydraulic.

We once had a locking brake problem on a Dodge pickup truck. It was a brake hose inner lining collapsed under certain conditions. Hoses looked great from the outside and had once been replaced. New hose and a bleeding they were good to go.