KEIZER: Who's going & what are you driving?

Wow! The National DB Meet in Keizer, Oregon is only 10 days away! So what's up guys? Who's gonna be there?

My Dad and I will leave San Diego with an upgraded tow vehicle and an enclosed trailer with a Dodge-in-the-box. If all goes according to plan, the newly minted 1929 DA Phaeton will be at Keizer, but if not Plan B will be the 1929 DA Deluxe Sedan.

Look forward to seeing everyone!

Joe

I am selling all of my worldly goods and old toys on ebay so that I can get there. I REALLY wanted to drive my '31 DH6 to the meet, but I don't think that the gods are with me right now. I still have to resurface the flywheel, install the clutch, trans and drive shaft. Then I have to figure out why the brake pedal goes to the floor. ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest imouttahere

May I please make a suggestion?

My Dodge Brethren need to understand that DB Club members often want to bring their families to DB get-togethers, and that their families usually aren't nearly as interested in DBs as the club member himself is. And, indeed, one of the stated purposes of the DBC is to get non-club members interested in DBs, so they will preserve these vehicles after their present owners have departed this life.

Therefore, it is really a problem when the club says a tour is going to start at, say 10:00 A.M., and then they stand around talking about their cars until noon or 1:00 P.M. and make the family members sit there and wait for the tour to start.

That is really rude and self-indulgent, folks! If you say you're going to start the tour at 10:00, start it at 10:00.

My family said, "Never again", so I won't be there.

Sorry to be a Nattering Nabob of Negativism, but I thought you ought to know.

May I please make a suggestion?

My Dodge Brethren need to understand that DB Club members often want to bring their families to DB get-togethers, and that their families usually aren't nearly as interested in DBs as the club member himself is. And, indeed, one of the stated purposes of the DBC is to get non-club members interested in DBs, so they will preserve these vehicles after their present owners have departed this life.

Therefore, it is really a problem when the club says a tour is going to start at, say 10:00 A.M., and then they stand around talking about their cars until noon or 1:00 P.M. and make the family members sit there and wait for the tour to start.

That is really rude and self-indulgent, folks! If you say you're going to start the tour at 10:00, start it at 10:00.

My family said, "Never again", so I won't be there.

Sorry to be a Nattering Nabob of Negativism, but I thought you ought to know.

Are you kidding me? Would you really miss this GREAT event because of a possibility of a lag time in the touring schedule? I say if you are interested in the Dodge Brothers cars, go to the meet. Explain to the non-interested folks that there may be a delay in the events (as in ANY giant, ONE TIME ONLY get together). If they cannot handle the schedule possibly changing slightly, they probably should not attend. Personally, I think that if all of these folks are getting together to talk "Dodge Brothers" cars, we should appreciate their efforts and not hold them to a strict schedule. Even though I may not be able to drive my '31 coupe up to the meet, I will make every effort to attend. Hope to see you there with a smile on your face.

Guest imouttahere

I'm afraid you are missing, or refusing to take, my point. I agree with my family that it was extremely boring waiting 3 hours for the tour to start, and I detect a serious level of hypocrisy in claiming that DB owners are interested in passing on the DB heritage to younger people and then ignoring their interests when they get together for a tour.

When I take a vacation this year, it is going to be with my family. There is no way that they would go with me to another DB meet, and I have no desire to go by myself.

It's really quite simple: You can't have it both ways. Either you are only concerned with talking to your "in group" about your cars, or you are concerned with getting other, younger people interested in them. If you are interested in getting younger people interested in them, then you have to realize that keeping them waiting 3 hours for the tour to start is extremely selfish behavior. OTOH, if all you care about is talking to your "in group", then you should stop claiming you want to get other people interested.

And in the latter case, you should get over your surprise that so many people don't care about preserving their DBs and are turning them into hot rods.

I'm afraid you are missing, or refusing to take, my point. I agree with my family that it was extremely boring waiting 3 hours for the tour to start, and I detect a serious level of hypocrisy in claiming that DB owners are interested in passing on the DB heritage to younger people and then ignoring their interests when they get together for a tour.

When I take a vacation this year, it is going to be with my family. There is no way that they would go with me to another DB meet, and I have no desire to go by myself.

It's really quite simple: You can't have it both ways. Either you are only concerned with talking to your "in group" about your cars, or you are concerned with getting other, younger people interested in them. If you are interested in getting younger people interested in them, then you have to realize that keeping them waiting 3 hours for the tour to start is extremely selfish behavior. OTOH, if all you care about is talking to your "in group", then you should stop claiming you want to get other people interested.

And in the latter case, you should get over your surprise that so many people don't care about preserving their DBs and are turning them into hot rods.

I don't really know what point you are saying I missed, but in any case...have a nice vacation with your family.

John, not to ride you too hard, but how's that clutch coming??!! I just got the Phaeton back home from the upholsterer about 10 mins ago. The convertible top came out 10x better than I was expecting. The man who did it has been teaching auto upholstery for 23 years at a San Diego Community College and does meticulous work. In fact, after the meet, I will bring the car back to him so he can re-do the interior. The last guy that did the doors and the seats just did not have the skill that this gentleman has. So now its a short break out at the lake until it cools down here a bit, then back to the garage.

John, not to ride you too hard, but how's that clutch coming??!! I just got the Phaeton back home from the upholsterer about 10 mins ago. The convertible top came out 10x better than I was expecting. The man who did it has been teaching auto upholstery for 23 years at a San Diego Community College and does meticulous work. In fact, after the meet, I will bring the car back to him so he can re-do the interior. The last guy that did the doors and the seats just did not have the skill that this gentleman has. So now its a short break out at the lake until it cools down here a bit, then back to the garage.
Got the clutch parts and now I must take the flywheel out to have it re-surfaced. Don't want any chattering going on. I know...it only costs about $20.00 to have the flywheel done, but I gotta tell you...I am unemployed and have been for about 2 years. Had a couple of operations in those 2 years without insurance. OUCH, OUCH and OUCH! Cash is very hard to come by for me in this small berg plus the bending over after an operation is kinda painful (man, I hate to whine) so I am getting there, slowly. I am selling a ton of my personal car related items just to get to Keizer in my wife's Buick, but that's what that stuff is for. I bought it to enjoy and to sell later if the need be. Now the need is here. I WILL make it to the meet with or without my Dodge. I bleed Dodge Blue blood so it will be a total joy for me to be among all of the cars and Dodge brothers and sisters my wife, Cherrie and I will get to see and meet.

Whew, this economy is hurting everyone. And with the prices of car stuff these days, you need a second job or a rich uncle if you ever want to get one of these things off the ground. Well, John, I am certainly glad you are going to get there and I am really looking forward to meeting you and Cherrie. See you soon! Joe

Guest imouttahere

keiser31 wrote: "Are you kidding me? Would you really miss this GREAT event because of a possibility of a lag time in the touring schedule?"

That's the reason my family doesn't want to go. The real reason I don't want to go is that I find it rather depressing talking to all the DBC members who have greatly over-restored their cars, have spent 10 times more on the restoration than the cars are worth, want to sit around talking endlessly about the correctness of every screw and rivet, and think you are unworthy if you haven't over-restored your own car. The average DBC member who attends the annual meets seems to think his DB is MUCH more important, in the overall scheme of things, than I do. I just find that unsettling.

I had a great time! Got to meet alot of people and see faces instead of just names. John, I never did get to meet up with you. Bill said you were there but we never seemed to cross paths. Doug, it was a pleasure to meet you. We are really thinking serious about going to Gettysburg next year. To all that were unable to attend, you really missed a good one. We also have an official N.W. Region now too. More "local" events will be planned soon, will keep ya posted.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh man!!!!!!!! I had an absolute BLAST at the meet. We just got home, but I had to share a few teasers of what's coming. It was such a joy to meet and see the folks and cars I have only heard about. My wife and I really lucked out. We got to ride in idrjoesandiego's car with his very humorous father. The old "parts car" as he called it, had a few sputters on the road, but that malady was taken care of by switching fuel pumps. I also got to ride in Bob Molner's original bread truck. I want to thank all who welcomed my wife and I and all of the folks who put the meet on. It was very well planned and went smooth from my point of view.

post-37352-143138095082_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138095085_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138095089_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138095092_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138095096_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138095099_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138095102_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys.

WHAT A MEET!!!!!!!!

Nice to put a faces with a names.

How about the meet organizers!!!

Everything ran like clockwork, driver meetings,8:30 BAM, DONE left parking lot, 9:00 BAM, DONE.

I got Macungie this Fri.For those who don't know it's in PA, taking the 31, hope the weather is good.

Then I start planning for Gettysburg next year. I was thinking of driving the 31 down there but after seeing all the touring cars and how they ran this past week I just might trailer the 23 down and drive it around down there. Decisions, Decisions

Joe C.