What do you use to pump gear oil?

sleeve-valve

How do you get gear oil into the trans or rear diff? Without gravity feed access from above, I often use a small, cheap "Pistol Oiler" type squirt gun with squeeze trigger. It only holds a few ounces and I have to refill it often. Sometimes, like today, I think there must be a better way!

Guest simplyconnected

Oh MAN, Steve, that would take forever. Several tool places sell what looks like a giant enclosed calk gun/grease gun. I don't know what they call it. You put the nozzle into fluid and draw back a plunger. The nozzle may have any length rubber hose attached, if you like. The nozzle is threaded so you can use any fitting you like.Anyway, 90W works just fine in these guns. I believe Harbor Freight sells them. They are steel and last forever if you keep them oiled.

Guest abh3usn

Steve, they also make a pump for that screws onto the regular gear oil bottles. I attatch a hose to the end and slip it into the trans or diff and pump the oil in.

Another trick you can use: If the oil is very heavy viscosity, you can warm it with boiling water. Make a cap for the oil container with a delivery pipe to the bottom, an air bleed hole about 3/8-1/2 diameter that you can regulate with your finger, and a second pipe into the cap that you can connect to an air pressure regulator which is backed off so you have absolutely minimal pressure. You control the filling with your finger over the bleed hole. I have used this many times in the past; until I bought a pump for a 4 gallon drum. Ivan Saxton

When I got my Pierce I bought a suction gun to fill the differential but found it did not work with high viscosity oils like the 600W used in older prewar cars. Went back to NAPA and got a cheap hand pump that screws onto a gear lube bottle and has a clear tube attached. This works great for 140 weight lube but have not tried it with the heavier stuff.

I used a hand extractor for years but broke down and bought ($89) a large multi fluid extractor that you connect to your air compressor. Hand pump types are also available and are a few dollars cheaper. Can be used on everything, radiators, rear ends, transmissions, brakes, etc. Good for the heavier fluids also. Even makes quick work of changing lawnmower oil as you don't have to remove the drainplug.

Multi Fluid Extractor - Specialty Tools - Tools - Griot's Garage