Car won't start

Guest dantm4

Guest imported_dantm4

I'm sure this is probably somewhere in the archives but a search didn't turn up anything. About a month ago my 1990 would have trouble starting, then it wouldn't start at all. I put some seafoam in the gas tank, jacked up the back, and managed to get it running on the road for about a day or two, but now it won't start at all. I replaced the fuel pump relay, fuel filter and the battery. Before I get it towed somewhere, is there anything else anyone could suggest I try?

I just moved so I haven't had a lot of time to look for other possibilities like a fuel pump fuse or if the ecm relay or fuse is bad. I suspect it's the fuel pump, but that is beyond my personal skill and facilities. It does sound like the starter is trying when I crank the ignition. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank You,

Dan

Sit in your car with all the accessories off. Turn the key to the "run" position. Listen to see if you hear the pump run.

The other thing you can do is check the pressure at the engine. A simple test [but not accurate] is as follows. There is a cap that covers what basically looks like a tire valve in the middle of your plastic engine cover. Press that in and see if you have good pressure.

If you hear the pump and have good pressure it probably isn't fuel.

Guest imported_dantm4

It cranks. I'm pretty sure there is no fuel pressure since I changed the filter and the fuel didn't gush out, but I'll try the button trick. The fuse checking wasn't so much - I didn't have time, more along the lines of, does one exist for that purpose, but I suppose its the same for the most part.

I was reading about possible causes on a google search and noticed they mentioned a fuse for the ECM but had never heard of one for the Reatta. Didn't know if the fuse or relay dying was a common occurance either.

How much should a fuel pump replacement at a shop cost?

Guest imported_dantm4

So the pump should run with the key in an on position? I guess that makes sense. Any particular spot I should listen outside the car?

The pump only runs for a few seconds each time the key is turned from the off position to the run position.

Some people have said a good place to listen for the pump running is the gas filler hole with the cap removed. You can hear it with no problem in a quiet garage.

Try this: crank for long enough for the oil pressure light to go out then see if it starts. What happens is that when you turn the key on the ECM powers the fuel pump through the fuel pump relay for two seconds and shuts off.

Once the engine starts, the switch on the oil pressure sender is made and powers the fuel pump directly. That way if oil pressure is lost, the engine shuts down also.

If that works, it is probably the fuel pump relay. If not then put about a 1/2 oz of gasoline in the manifold and crank with the throttle open. If it tries to fire and dies then there is a problem in the fuel delivery system.