1961 Parts and advice needed

Guest karenzkarz

Guest karenzkarz

Hello I'm new here. My Dad passed away in January and he left me a 1961 Super 88. I promised my Dad that I would get his baby on the road but I'm not very knowledgable about older cars or actually cars in general. I've ordered the parts I've needed but they won't send me the lower ball joints until I send them my old ones which means I need to get the car towed, get the parts removed and then towed home again until the parts come in. I've been waiting 3 weeks for someone to do that. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me along? Also I'd like to get a new front bumper and perhaps a rear bumper. Any suggestions would be so greatly appreciated.

We have some knowledgeable 1961 folks here, and they also frequent classicoldsmobile.com . They can help. If you'll tell us your location we may be able to steer you toward someone local who understands these cars. (Believe me when I say not every service tech does. HydraMatics in particular will throw them for a loop trying to find reverse.)

I'm not following why they won't send your parts. I've never heard of a core charge on ball joints. All 1961 Oldsmobiles except the F85 use the same ball joints for both sides of the car- unless my factory parts book is wrong.

Grp 6.174, p/n 586712, ball joint unit with bolts, 1961 except F85, 2 required.

Guest garysolds

they probably want your old ball joints back to rebuild.i do have an extra set of brand new ones as well as bumper cores (you dont say why you want to replace them)please contact me if interested,gary

• 5 weeks later...
Guest karenzkarz

I'm in Newfoundland Canada. I had another mechanic look at the car yesterday and he said all I nned is 2 outer tie rod ends which luckily I had. He said I don't need any of that other stuff. I need to try to find a set of 15 inch wheel disks. Anyone have any ideas where I can find them? My email is kbearns@hotmail.com