58 88 4 Door Hardtop

Guest Mike Hogan

Guest Buick Bonery

Hello, We just bought a 58 Olds 88 4 door hardtop. It had the original paperwork, and it is listed as a sedan. The dealership listed it that way on the bill of sale and the title says the same. Can anyone explain why this is? Also, the courtesy, turn signal and dome lights don't work, but we get radio, dash, horn and everything else. The voltage regulator was taken apart, so I'm assuming that is the cause, but if anyone has any thoughts, I'd be happy to hear them. I checked all the fuses.

P.S. Don't tell my friends on the Buick board, but this car is nicer than a 58 Buick, or any GM for that matter.

post-55336-143138082483_thumb.jpg

Guest Buick Bonery

I'm pretty sure it is not a bulb problem. The previous owner was messing with the voltage regulator, so I'm guessing the problem is there. Also, the heater does not work. I did get a manual with the car. Another question, the shift indicator shows an S after Drive, and the manual recommends this for city driving. Does everyone agree with that, and what does the S stand for? What is the name of the company that reproduces Olds parts?

Guest Bob Call

In the 50's Oldsmobile identified their hardtop (postless) body styles as Holiday. Chevrolet called their's Sport. Sedan refers to the 4 door style and coupe refers to the 2 dr style. So, your paper work is correct, it is a 58 sedan as opposed to a coupe.

-------------------------------------------

we'll all be drinkin' that free Bubble Up and eatin' that rainbow stew. Merle Haggard 1981

http://www.cmt.com/videos/merle-haggard/26454/rainbow-stew.jhtml

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: talarico8447</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The S is for "Super" performance.It just keeps the car in second gear. I guess you can say its like turning off the overdrive in a new car. But I just drive in drive unless I want to hotrod around in a 4800 pound car. Fusick or USA parts supply has a lot of Olds parts.

http://www.usapartssupply.com/ </div></div>

I'm not certain about the Jetaway Hydramatic but on the earlier Dual-Range Hydramatic, the only provision to hold in another forward gear other than drive was low and third gear.

Buick Bonery, don't sweat it, I am a Buick guy thru and thru (and always will be), but hands down my #1 favorite car I have is my 58 98 coupe. Even though the car is very big and very heavy, that thing will absolutely fly. The 371 will surprise you for sure! I see yours as a Dynamic 88 4 door hardtop. Does it have a 2 or 4 barrel (maybe even a J2???). Great colors on that car, too! Post more photos when you have the time, it looks like a sweet car.

Matt

Guest Buick Bonery

The mechanic got it running yesterday and I couldn't believe the power. It flew down the road. The brakes are working fine, but we're going to redo them anyway. It starts immediately and handles nicely. I was also very happy to see the open driveline. Next step is to fix the few holes in the gas tank (it is feeding from a gas can right now), replace the vital hoses and belts, and it will be road worthy. I'll have some better pictures once we get it home, but the mechanic is so in love with this car, he isn't going to give it up that easy.

post-55336-1431380840_thumb.jpg

post-55336-143138084015_thumb.jpg

post-55336-143138084029_thumb.jpg

post-55336-143138084046_thumb.jpg

Guest Buick Bonery

It really was seamless shifting. The mechanic even burned rubber, which I was not too happy about as it still has the bias ply tires on it, but I was impressed none the less.