It's an oven in here - help cooling down 'Yoda'

Gary_N

'Yoda' is hot...as in...you can't drive him when it's over 60 degrees outside for very long 'cause it's like 90 inside. The previous owner had removed all of the floor padding since it had been wet and I guess very smelly. But the heat is really coming from the firewall. I'm not sure of the insulation value of the old firewall jute but surely some modern heat shield would be much better.

If you pop the fuse panel access on the firewall, the insulation is like an inch thick. And it'll crumble very easily.

Yoda is basically original with some awful paint work 30 years ago. OK, he's a 100 footer but, I'm leaving him like he is. I'm not concerned with correctness though, just more comfort.

So, the question is: has anyone worked on this kind of issue and what did you use to correct it, Dynamat or something similar?

Thanks!

Gary

Your car is probably hot for a number of reasons. I have had similar issues and what I found was that the insulation around the steering shaft was non-exsistant leaving a large area for hot air from the engine and exaughst to come in. Thats why my car was 116 one hot Memphis afternoon. Also check your vent tubes, if the flexible tubing has deteriorated, you again will be letting hot engine air in through the vents.

Guest imported_MrEarl

and if the headliner needs replacing, consider the heat shield type insulation between it and the metal....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> if the headliner needs replacing, consider the heat shield type insulation between it and the metal....

</div></div>

Funny you should mention. I just got finished not 10 minutes ago doing that to the 56. Bob Drake sells a foil faced 1/8" thick, self sticky, gummy sheet insulation that is outstanding for inner roofs and inside panels to dampen drumming and insulate........Bob

Funny, I grew up reading the JC Whitney catalog and it's still around.

Bill, I think you're right on the steering shaft insulation. My fresh air tubes are fine, although I need better flexible tubes. I can only find 5 3/8 diameter from the Buick supplier's. The passenger side is 6 inches. The driver's side is smaller.

Hey Lamar, I see I'm partly famous now because of the Bugle. Did you do anything with the tranny yet or is mounted as a trophy somewhere?

Thanks!

Gary

Guest imported_MrEarl

Yea buddy, now everybody knows Gary the China Shop Bull. The tranny is on my trophy shelf, didn't even wash the blood off of it. I am forever indebted to you. Maybe even to the point of introducing you to Terry some day......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrEarl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.. Maybe even to the point of introducing you to Terry some day...... </div></div>

Oh man! you trying to tick off a certain Buffalo area member?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gary_N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ah John, aren't you married? </div></div>

Yes Gary, I am married. But I was not refering to myself in that post. Yet I'd still like to meet Terry. She seems like she likes Buicks. I like meeting all people who appreciate the quality of a Buick.

Guest imported_Thriller

But what about the calendar Stevo? You are the lead on that one, aren't you?