58 Super

Guest sintid58

Guest sintid58

I bid on this last night and ended up with high bid. There are 6 days left so that doesnt mean much but the car doesnt look too bad. One thing bothers me, the seller has said that all gauges and the speedometer work but on all the cars with this style speedometer that have the red showing the speedometer does not work. Is that right.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190309733304

Guest DELTAWINGFLYER

If it was a 59 ,this would be telling you ,

you need a new speedo drum ,seeing its a dealer selling it ,they may not have driven it to know,and just going by what the last owner told them ...

Not wanting to jinx you, yes the car has a lot going for it but having three 58's myself can almost guarantee the Speedo will need attention. It should always turn back to black when stopped. Again not wanting to sound critical but the condition of the pot metal chrome (pitting) and the general wear on the brake and gas pedal suggest it has more mileage than what shows on the odometer. Also the fact the VIN tag is painted over would also suggest the whole car has been painted. Hard to tell from the picture but firewall tone seems to be a bit different than the fender colour again suggesting a paint job. I do not wish to imply anyone is misrepresenting the car just my observations.

Now, having said this the car has a lot going for it! The rear bumper looks great (they are expensive to repair/replace), it has the correct trunk floor material and cardboard side panels, the interior appears to be original and not bad at all, the body while painted looks to be straight and a plus that they did the jambs of the doors. My suggestion is when you get it drive it and enjoy it as there is nothing like the ride a 58 Buick gives on the open highway. By the way the engine is a 364 not 322cid (56 and earlier). The difference on the 58 engines is the compression ratio, 10.5 to 1 on the top line cars for sure.

You might ask the owner if he has done the Woodward Cruise with it as she looks familiar from about five years ago.

Here`s wishing you good luck and enjoy.

The rear bumper is exactly as it should be, the outsides are chrome as well as the gas door and the center section is stainless. My Dad had a 58 Roadmaster Coupe and the bumper was exactly as this one right from day one. I have seen bumpers that were rechromed where they should not have had the chrome.

The whitewalls are too wide. The originals were probably about 1/2 to 2/3 of what is on the car.

Good luck, I hope you get the car. You will without a doubt enjoy it, it is fantastic.

Stevo

That looks like an interesting car! The body panel alignment could use some work, but the rest of the car looks pretty good. I would strongly advise to have someone local check the car out for you.

Yo Stevo - I remember you saying that about the rear bumper in my 58 Limited post. I had to check it out on a couple other cars around town, and also on my own bumper.

I don't think it's stainless. Here are some photos of mine.

rear_bumper001.jpg

rear_bumper002.jpg

The spedo should not be red,if you look at the chrome carfully there apears to be a lot of pitting and the underside looks like fresh undercoating?????I like the 58 line up,sure wish I had mine back.Try to have someone look at it for you.Wish you luck.

The Speedo is certainly broken. It has been repainted, and I agree that there are some alignment issues so it may have been in an accident. There have been touch-ups here and there it looks like as well, but that is not necessarily a bad thing.

That said, looks like a deal for the price currently, although I see that there is a reserve that has not been met.

Also, the mileage could be original. My familiy has or has recently had at least 2 cars which I know had similar original mileage that showed worse - a 57 which is in much worse shape due to previous poor storage and I sold a 58 last year that also had about same mileage, and it had some rust/pits simply due to being in rust belt and being parked outside early in its life; the interior looked about the condition of this one or slightly better.