'72 Riviera - Mechanical Question

72Rivi

My upper A-arms have started to squeak pretty bad, and it's only my left one. Do I need to replace bushings or anything in that matter? I've tried a few things and it doesn't seem to quite the noise one bit.

Any help fellas? Thanks in advance.

My dad was a Buick mechanic for years before he retired. His trick for quieting squeaking rubber was a product called "Ru-glyde." Unfortunately, it's no longer available to the public but it is used by tire installers. It's the stuff they coat the bead on the tire with before installing it.

Just make sure that when you're quieting something like this that you're not trying to mask a problem that should be fixed.

Peel the splash apron back and visually inspect the upper control arm bushings. The good thing is about these they are in plain veiw. You will see where the shaft goes into the rubber bushing. The bushing is actually rubber vulcanized to an outer metal shell with a metal sleeve on the inside where the shaft goes through. You should see a fairly even thickness of rubber around the circumference of bushing.

You will be able to see if the rubber is worn badly or just plain deteriorated to the point where you have metal to metal contact. The shaft will look off center. If this is the case the bushings will need replaced and its best to do both left and right side at the same time.

If they do not look worn, check the bolts that go through the bushing to make sure they are tight. If all is well there try spraying something on them as mentioned above

If your car is higher mileage say over 120k, that along with the age they are probably shot.

My '72 has almost 53K on it. I will visually check the busings and see if they need replacing. I won't make the mistake of masking a problem that needs fixing, been there done that!

At first it was not very noticeable, but the last few days have been quite a change. As long as the pavement I'm driving on is smooth, I hear nothing. It's when I hit bumpy roads, pulling in a driveway, or things in that nature that the noise is created.

This weekend I will examine the Rivi and try to figure out what the problem is. Thanks for the advice fellas, it's greatly appreciated.

Jason is correct about the bushings. I had to replace mine on my 71 years ago and it only had 15,000 original miles. They rotted out due to age. If you have to replace them, might as well go polygraphite. You will notice a much better handling and they do not effect the ride.

Bob Bonto ROA # 277

Technical Advisor 71-73