Broken Differential Cover on a 1910

Guest 1913 T

Guest 1913 T

Does anybody know where I could find a differential cover for a 1910 White touring car?

If not how about somebody to possible cast a new one?

Stop in at Shaw Farm in Dracut for some good ice cream this summer and say hi to my extended family....

I suggest you first try to find a good welding shop and use body filler to hide the weld on the outside.

If you really want a new casting, I am sure Skip Carpenter (in your area) will share the one he uses.

Guest 1913 T

Thanks Steve, I live in Bridgewater & did not even think about Perkins foundry!!!

I will take off the cover this week end and see if its weldable or not

Thanks

Mike

Guest 1913 T

Thanks Mark, I am going to see if its weldable for the summer so I can drive the car, and talk to Skip and some others about who could cast a new one. I will look in Hershey in the fall for a spare, but I may never find one!!

Thanks for your help

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1913 T</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Steve, I live in Bridgewater & did not even think about Perkins foundry!!!</div></div>

If you live in Bridgewater, then definitely stop and talk to them. I had a pattern maker make me a pattern for the flange I needed, taking into consideration normal shrinkage during the casting process. The problem was, there was no shrinkage. Depending on how it fits, he may be able to use your old cover as a pattern.

He charged me about $35 to cast one flange, so I said to make two in case one breaks. He said, it's not going to break, if you need another, come back. I never needed another. A first-class operation.

If it is broken in pieces, I think you are better off to cast a new one. There is a particular type of cast iron (name escapes me) that virtually has no shrinkage. If you use the old part as a pattern, it will cost about $50 (maybe less) , about the same cost to weld. Welding might warp it. I would glue the pieces together with a good epoxy like JB Weld. Clamp the pieces to a board to make sure the epoxied parts cure flat. Fill the pits & gouges with body filler and sand finish. Make the piece look as pretty as you want the finished casting to look. You will still have to "clean up" the new casting and drill your own holes and perhaps machine work depending on how complicated the part is.

Find a foundry that can turn a small project like yours in a reasonable time. You can ship your ready for casting pattern to Seaport Casting in Toledo Ohio. I've had jobs like yours returned in 3 or 4 weeks.