Spring shackle wear

gundog99

I am in the process of fitting new spring shackles pins and bushes to my Dodge Senior.Surprisingly, there seems to be a lot more wear between the old pin and shackle than the old pin and the old bush.I am hoping to get the holes welded and then re drilled. Are the shackles cast or forged and how tight should the pin nuts be, when re fitted?

Guest 28SeniorSix

gundog99 - Per your request, I attached a picture of the left rear spring shackle on my car. The shackle is 4 13/16" long, 1" wide, and the outside diameter of the mounting eyelets is 1 5/16". The shackles only have the mounting holes on each end (i.e., no third hole). The number stamped on the outside shackle is J18288, and the number on the inside shackle is J18287. These are the same numbers on both the left and right rear springs. These numbers don't agree precisely with the parts manual.

post-54549-143138052258_thumb.jpg

Guest John1918

The hole is for a lock-washer that fits neatly over the nut on the shackle pin to prevent it loosening and is secured in position by a 1/4" bolt & spring washer. The washer acts rather like a ring spanner with a double inside hexagon that gives it finer adjustment and can be turned over for even finer adjustment. John

Thanks for the photos. It helps.

However, my double hex plates are way to short for the rear shackles on my 1919. So they have to be for the front.

Mine were bolted (incorrectly) at the rear front shackle, not the front.

I take it all shackle points should have these? My rear bolts were loose!

Turns out the frame out back had both front and rear lock plates for the rear suspension (photo below).

The single hex goes on the forward shackle mount. You can see it behind the grease cap in one of the photos.

My rear shackles are about a inch / inch and a half taller than the fronts, Note how there is a cast boss on the shackle but no hole. I am guessing these are not proper for 1919 (but they will have to do)

post-55762-14313805289_thumb.jpg

post-55762-143138052893_thumb.jpg

post-55762-143138052894_thumb.jpg

The lock rings, combined with split pins, look such a good idea, both the shackles are locked making a solid unite; with out the ring, the shackle on the bolt side is able to move independently, even with a small amount of wear.Was cost cutting the reason Dodge stopped fitting them?

Guest John1918

I have just gotten over to where my '25 sedan is parked and took a few photos, not very good but it will give some idea of how the locking things fit on. John

post-45637-143138056783_thumb.jpg

post-45637-143138056788_thumb.jpg