Trailer hitch for 90 Reatta

Guest jackvtte

Guest jackvtte

ANYONE EVER INSTALL A TRAILER HITCH ON THEIR REATTA? LOOKING TO BUY A 4 X 6 FT ENCLOSED TRAILER. ALSO, NEED TO FIND A TRAILER HITCH. THANKS

Guest mounthopewalt

The Reatta was not designed for towing. There is a DIY hitch discussed in this forum, but it has severe limitations, as it is not certified as Class I or Class II. It is for lightweight duty only. Also, you may void your warranty. smile.gif

Guest F14CRAZY

I had the Estaver hitch custom built. It's a heavy duty piece...you'll run into the car's limitations before the hitches. Unless you fill your trailer with lead or something you'll do okay, would add a good additional transmission cooler though.

Most I've towed was a 6x10 or so trailer (light duty, wooden deck) with two quads on it. I wouldn't do any more than that due to the rear suspension sag, short wheelbase, mounting of the hitch (no real frame back there) and the fact that if Teves decided to go out on you it may not turn out good.

The 3800 and 4T60 IMHO are good to tow up to 3500 lbs, and I believe that's what the minivans are rated for. Your limitations are everything else. Don't hold me liable for this but I'd say the safe towing limit for a Reatta is around 1k-1300 lbs.

Guest CL_Reatta

Uhaul (ive discussed this before with Nic) sells a class 2 hitch for the reatta, if they say no when you call, tell them to call the supplier or whoever, it is a specialty hitch but is available thru uhaul

Think it is mainly the lack of Electronic Level Control (ELC), that and extra wiring is the only difference I see in my 92 TranSport 3800/4T60E but it does have a real frame. The option was available for the Riviera and in theory could be transplanted.

However it is only rated at Class I (3000 lbs max) and has a 1 1/4" receiver. That said I have flat towed a 69 Lemans for 30 miles (20 on Interstate) before with no difficulty or sign of overheating.

The issue would be the hitch loading that is supposed to be 10% of the full load - for 3000 lbs, that would be 300 lbs.

Short wheel base would really be a plus since it makes backing easy but the bottom line is that the Reatta is not really designed for towing.

I am interested for two reasons;

1] I want to be able to use a bike rack.

2] I live three blocks from a boat ramp. I need to put a hitch on either the Reatta or my wifes Audi to pull the boat to the ramp...

Here in Wisconsin our biggest hope is that summer falls on a weekend, so I want to use my car as much as possible.

The rule here at home is two drivers = two cars so we will be storing the minivan for the summer.

Have always felt that with older cars you need at least drivers+1 cars. Of course with something like the Reatta you also need cars+2 garage spaces and be on the coupons-per-week list from HF.

Here in central Florida we still have 2.5 more months before winter starts (utility bills go up and you do not go outside after 90).

Guest CL_Reatta

Oh yes,

I believe the reatta is probably capable of safely towing in the range of 1500-2000... people in Europe pull 20 foot trailers with 1.6 Opels.... I highly doubt the wheel base is lager on those.