Spring is coming....

1935Packard

So there's still a ton of the salt on the roads here on the east coast. And my Packard is still at the shop for a few more weeks. But with 75 degree weather predicted for the weekend out east, it's nice to remember .....

Spring is coming.

St. Patrick's Day parade in about 2 weeks is the normally the first event of the year here in northern New Jersey; even old cars which are not painted green are acceptable. Then middle-of April is the CCCA Grand Classic in Florham Park NJ as well, So time to get the 34 out of it's winter hibernation, it's been long enough!

I'm planning on making it to that CCCA Grand Classic, too, at least if my car is back and I can figure out a way to get the car there (it's about a 250 miles there from my place, so I'm not sure I want to drive it).

I know exactly what you mean. I'm sure when I was a lot younger I did 250 miles in a day in my 34 Eight, but nowadays about 120 - 150 is quite enough and leaves me a bit tired. It's not the handling or suspension or brakes as much as that you can't relax much, too many dingbats on the roads, and at 50 mph or so you don't have that burst of power to get out of troublesome spots. The upside is that I avoid Interstates like the plague so I actually get to see a bit of scenery and the countryside (though occasionally getting lost as well). I'm signed up for PAC's Henry Joy tour this summer up around Saratoga Springs, NY and have decided to take the 34 (took the Caribbean last year); not sure if I'm driving it or having it transported. Lots of time to decide.

Guys, does anyone have specifics on the Grand Classic in NJ in Mid-April? Would not mind checking this out, I have never been to a CCCA event and would definately look to say hello to any other posters who may be going.

I would love to check out the PAC Henry Joy tour but it may be a little late to jump onto that one.

Anyone gotten out on the road yet? (Too messy here in CT even though it was 60 here both weekend days..)

Thanks pretty good site - we would leave the Packard home as it is not a Full Classic, but this may fit into travel plans as we are in the general area frequently this time of year.

1935Packard, what are you having done? Could not wait on that paint job you were considering last season? smile.gif

I had some mechanical work done earlier in the winter, as I put about 1200 miles on in a year after getting the car and there were a few things that needed attention again. But the more recent stuff has been woodgraining the dash and getting a new convertible top. No repainting yet, though: Between the cost, the time, and the uncertainty of whether I really wanted a car with perfect paint, I decided to wait on that one.

Guest 51Patty400

Took mine out for a spin on Sunday. Put air in the tires. Was happy it started first turn of the key after I primed the carb.

- Mark

Drove my 32 about 60 miles 2 weekends ago. We had 20 cars particpate which is unheard of for a Feb Packard event in Oregon. At the first stop I was complaining that I needed to fix my gas gauge. I swore I had just filled the tank up a few weeks back and it was reading low. Unfortunately about 5 miles from home I found out that my mind was not accurate but the gas gauge was very accurate. frown.gif AAA bought 2 gallons of gas and I beat the rain home by an hour.

I took my 49 Cadillac out 2 weekends ago when it was really warm here, before the huge snow. It was a blast. It then snowed a few inches, and they salted the roads so much that I've kept the Caddy in the garage since then. (I live in an area with a local government that just loves road salt: If the weatherman shows just a chance of snow or ice, the local government gets the trucks out and dumps a ton of salt all around.) Looking forward to some rains to wash the salt away....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1935Packard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I took my 49 Cadillac out 2 weekends ago when it was really warm here, before the huge snow. It was a blast. It then snowed a few inches, and they salted the roads so much that I've kept the Caddy in the garage since then. (I live in an area with a local government that just loves road salt: If the weatherman shows just a chance of snow or ice, the local government gets the trucks out and dumps a ton of salt all around.) Looking forward to some rains to wash the salt away.... </div></div>

No salt here in the "green" state of Oregon. However we do have that recycleable gravel which you dare not drive your car on until they bring the street sweepers which will clean up the gravel and recycle it.

That salt is nasty for daily drivers. here we just need to repaint our cars from the stone chips cry.gif

• 4 weeks later...

First tour in the 1939 120 today, we covered around 80 - 90 miles in NW CT and Western Mass. Car ran great, I did have the parking brake partially engaged for around 10 miles, but never knew it until we parked. Drum seemed a little warm but not untouchable so I figure I am ok.

The car is an absolute joy to tour with, although it did sort of stand out among the 15 or so Model As we were with!

Guest Trunk Rack

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Owen_Dyneto</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> too many dingbats on the roads, and at 50 mph or so you don't have that burst of power .. </div></div>

= = = =

Hmmmm - wonder if that was a typo? If Owen had typed

" AT 80 MPH YOU DONT HAVE THAT BURST OF POWER"

Well, I would have to agree - wind resistance to rapid accelleration, especially on a big square-bodied pre-war closed Packard, really starts coming into play above 80 mph in terms of throttle response.

Ooops, just re-read Owen's post. Owen isnt talking about a Packard Twelve, he is talking about one of the eight cyl. cars. No WONDER he said "50" instead of 80 mph. Sorry, my mistake.

Guest Trunk Rack

Relax - Owen - know who you are and your background, and HOPED you had a sense of humor ! There are some REAL classic cars that can pass me ( not many, but there are a few, and it is all in fun ! )

( as one of my fellow old-timers was fond of saying if people got too excited about some issue..."HEY..GUYS...THIS IS A HOBBY..NOT A RELIGION...." ! )

p.s. I am of modest means. I just got lucky, and got into big Packards when they were worth-less - paid less for mine when it was just a nicely maintained used car, then a HUBCAP costs today! Actually, about a QUARTER of what you'd pay for one today!

Steve,

That was a long tour of the first tour of the season. Hopefully all made it safely. I finally got into the local Classic Car Mechanic. I want him to look at the transmission. It was one of the weak points when I bought the car, but hopefully he can get it sorted out with his transmission shop. It's usable but not what it should be. He's a busy guy and I've been trying to get in to his place since November. Though like a typical old car craftsman, long term customers and other things get inserted in front of your promised date of service.

Unfortunately, I won't be making it to the CCCA Grand Classic in Florham Park: My car is still at the shop, and it's a long haul to show up without a car. Sorry I'll miss you guys and gals who will be there -- I hope we can meet up soon.

We won't make Floram Park either, is anyone aware of any CCCA events in the New England area this year? Never been to one and would like to check it out sometime.

Looking forward to taking the '39 Packard 120 to the Rhinebeck, NY show in a couple weeks. Is anyone else is attending that - a good show and the official start of the season around here!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve_Mack_CT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ken, the craftsman who won't be rushed - is usually the right guy for the job!! Hope it comes back quickly though! </div></div>

Well he finsih most of the work real quick and reasonable. Figure out why. Needed money to pay taxes frown.gif He still invesitagting synchros as I have trouble with 3rd gear. Are these available?

He did give the engine a 5 thumbs up bill of health after adjusting the valves. Said the engine quiet like a Packard should be with a slight sweet rumble from the tailpipe befitting a coupe roadster.

He did say the vibration I was complaining about was normal for those cars and I was too sensitive to modern cars. Not sure if I agree with that diagnosis.

Guest Trunk Rack

SYNCHRO:

You did not specify what kind of problem you are having with your "3rd gear synchro".

The most common problem owners have today with the Packard "senior" transmissions of mid-1932-1939 production, is using too thin a gear oil for the temp. you are operating in.

(all "senior" Packard transmissions of that era, EIGHT, SUPER EIGHT, & TWELVE are interchangeable EXCEPT for the out-put shaft U-joint adapter plate, which is quickly and easily "swapped out" if you want to change transmissions). Only exceptions are the late '31 & early '32 Deluxe Eights with that goofy four speed, and, obviously, those '39 Twelves that came with "column shift").

The good news is, is that IF your transmission is properly adjusted, merely going to the correct grade of gear oil for your operating temp, will solve the problem. These transmissions are probably the all-time slickest in the industry of ANY era for silky-smooth effortless shifts.

The bad news is, adjusting the synchros requires removing the transmission from the car. The synchro adjustment is controlled by shims in the main bearings; NO way to get at them otherwise.

Properly setting up a Pacakard transmission from that era is not a job the average shop can do. Strongly recommend you leave it alone until you can get the car to a shop staffed by people who have a legit. and demonstrable background in Senior Packard transmissions OF THAT ERA !

EXHAUST RUMBLE

When delivered as a new car, your Senior Packard had a virtually silent exhaust system. Many back-yard "experts" such as myself, decided maybe that meant too much back-pressure, and thus, down thru the years, we fitted these cars with what we THOUGHT were less-restrictive exhaust systems. A faint "rumble' that you describe is typical of a non-authentic exhaust for a Senior Packard.

Personally, I happen to like it. Since 99.9875 per cent of the smart alec judges today were born LONG after these cars were in service, they probably wont have any idea that this is WRONG WRONG WRONG IF you are the "purist" type. In some 60 years of attending car shows where "experts" show up, be assured I couldnt count the number of "picky" types who have spotted my exhaust system as non-authentic either ! So I say, ENJOY YOUR PACKARD !