Type and size of wrench needed...

heygibb

to tighten the flare nuts holding the brake lines in place under the fluid reservoir (proportioning valve?)

I have discovered a leak at one of those nuts and need to snug it up. The space is very limited for a wrench, and probably needs to be offset. Is there a particular wrench I need for that job? Size?

Thanks

Tim

Guest windjamer

Depending on the car, year make, its most likely 3/8 flair.Import possably 10mm ,BUT I would look vary close at the leak. I never saw one leak because it was loose unless it was new. Ill bet you have a pinhole due to rust.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heygibb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">to tighten the flare nuts holding the brake lines in place under the fluid reservoir (proportioning valve?)

I have discovered a leak at one of those nuts and need to snug it up. The space is very limited for a wrench, and probably needs to be offset. Is there a particular wrench I need for that job? Size?

Thanks

Tim </div></div>

These are also called flare nut wrenches. If you have a special limited access application, it may be worth buying a wrench then heating and bending the wrench to fit. Alternatively, you can buy crows-foot flare nut wrenches in both SAE and metric sets at NAPA. This allows you to combine ratchet heads and extensions to fit the application. I had to do this on an otherwise impossible to reach PS hose on my Allante.

I also agree with the previous posts. It is extremely unlikely that one of these flare nuts just started to leak on it's own. It's more likely that the proportioning valve itself is leaking. I also had this problem on the Allante (and again needed those crows-foot wrenches).

Thanks for all the input. After taking a better look at things, I noticed the fluid had leaked above the line connections. The reservoir itself had become "unseated". There is a rubber seal that makes the transition from the bottom of the reservoir to the top of the master cylinder that had jimmied loose somehow. It was half on there and thus, the leak. I pushed firmly down on the res. and it seated.

re the flare wrench...I found one at AutoZone for around $13. My car is a Reatta, and I thought all my hardware was metric, so I got the dual purpose flare in 10 and 12mm that hinges on each end. Come to find out, my nut is a 11mm, I believe. Didn't need it after all, but thought I'd post the info.

joe, I tried a crow's foot but the limited access made that impossible. If I had needed to actually use the flare wrench, I am not sure I could have even made that work. I'm glad I didn't need it!

Thanks again for all the help. At first, I couldn't find my post to respond. I thought I had posted in the Reatta forum. So thanks for the help. Hope my feedback helps someone w/ a similar leak.

Tim