1950-1955 Buick Statistics

Guest BJM

*** NOTE - This is a long post-sorry ***

As a self professed historian, I find what happened to Buick in the 1950's to be fascinating.

This latest review was prompted by a phone call to a seller of a 1953 Buick Super 2 door hardtop. After a friendly discussion of his project car for sale, I started to do some research on a little known year (except for the Skylarks) for me.

Everyone knows that 1953 was the 1st year for the V8. It was also the last year of a 1949 to 1953 body run. By 1950, the buyers market was basically gone. Pent up demand for the post war car was satisfied and though sales remained decent, manufacturers had to deal with a different mind set of the car buyer.

Wild grille styling, 2nd year portholes, and the sweepspear on some series all defined the 50 Buick. All Buicks offered 8 cylinders. Now, so did Oldsmobiles. 337,909 Specials were built. 251,613 Supers were built. Only 75,034 Roadmasters were built. Total production 664,556. A good solid year (NOTE: I'll bet Buick would love to have this production in 2009)

Factory price of a Special: $1952

Factory price of a Super: $2139

Factory price of a Roadmaster: $2738

Percentage difference between Special and Roadmaster: 29%

Special wheelbase- 121 1/2 inch 248 8 cyl

Super wheelbase - 121 1/2 or 125 263 8 cyl

Roadmaster wheelbase 126 inch 320 8 cyl

Brought mildly updated styling on basically the same body shell. No change in powertrains. Specials got the Sweepspear.

Specials production: 164,448

Super Production: 169,226

Roadmaster Production: 66,058 Total production: 399,732

Production down 40% overall.

Factory price of a Special: $2185

Factory price of a Super: $2563

Factory price of a Roadmaster: $3200

Percentage difference between Special and Roadmaster: 32%

Same wheelbases. NOTE: The Specials gets the 263 cid 8 cylinder, a "free" upgrade, although prices were increased.

No change in powertrains, basic styling, or wheelbases. The SPECIAL had a clear distinction between STANDARD and DELUXE. The standard models competed with Chevrolet, Ford, Dodge and others for the lower middle class dollar, while Buick smartly had a deluxe version for those wanting a nicer trimmed Special.

But with the Super offering the same engine and bigger wheelbase, there would have been the temptation to move up to Super length, which was considered the GM "C" body shared with Roadmaster, 98 Oldsmobile and even some Cadillacs.

Special Production: 120,333

Super Production: 135,332

Roadmaster Production: 46,217

Total Production: 301,882

Production down 25% from 1951 and 45% from 1950

Factory price of a Special: $2255

Factory price of a Super: $2563 (No change)

Factory price of a Roadmaster: $3200 (No change)

Percentage difference between Special and Roadmaster: 25.4%

NOTE: Super 2 door hardtop production rises to almost 4 door sedan levels.

Historic year for Buick. 50th anniversary Buicks. Buick introduces it's post war V8 engine in the SUPER and ROADMASTER, but not the Special. Introduces HALO CAR in the SKYLARK.

Special Production: 217,170

Super Production: 190,514

Roadmaster and Skylark: 79,128

Total Production: 486,812

Production up 61%

Factory Price of a Special: $2255

Factory Price of a Super: $2696

Factory Price of a Roadmaster: $4031*

* Roadmaster 2 door hardtop= $3358. $4031 was for the higher production 4 door model.

Percentage difference between Special and Roadmaster: 55%

Since the 53 Buick Super 2 door hardtop is what I was looking at purchasing, this is what I noticed about Super production in 1953.

ALL 3 BUICKS WERE ON THE SAME MUCH SMALLER SPECIAL WHEELBASE! Only 121 1/2 inches. Supposedly, Buick wanted to emphasize a smaller, tauter Buick with the introduction of the V8.

1953 Super 2 door hardtop production: 91,298

1953 Special 2 dr hardtop production: 58,780

A Super 2 door hardtop cost 11% more then a Special 2 door hardtop. Yet buyers paid that premium for the V8. We know this was a clear preference because all wheelbases were the same.

The sellers market is on a temporary upswing. Actually this is when Buick started stealing sales from the smaller Plymouths, Dodges, Mercury's and others in the low to mid priced range.

Thankfully Buick came out with a new body in 1954. There is now a clear distinction between small wheelbase and the larger wheelbase series BUT in a perfect timing move, Buick adds the Century, putting the Roadmaster engine in the smallest lightest body. The 1953 SUPER actually portends the 54 Century since it was basically the same set up. V8 in a Special body.

So did Buick learn a lesson in 1953? YES! Buick wanted to take full advantage of the newer C body and so set the Super on that with the Roadmaster. However, they did not want to lose the appeal of the 1953 Super V8 market.

Special Production: 190,884

Century Production: 81,982

Super Production: 118,630

Roadmaster Production: 50,571

Total Prodcution: 442,067

Production down 10%

Factory Price of a Special: $2305

Factory Price of a Century: $2534

Factory Price of a Super: $2626

Factory Price of a Roadmaster: $3269

Difference between a Special and Roadmaster: 30% (After a 1953 difference % of 55%, the Special and Roadmaster come closer to historical average) [This tells me Buick really wanted to emphasize V8 production in 1953 and that buyers responded EMOTIONALLY in 1953 and agreed with Buick]

1954 was a monumental year. Yes, production was down modestly, but a trend was developed.

Special 2 door hardtop production: 71,186

Special 4 door sedan production: 70,356

Century 2 door hardtop production: 45,710

Century 4 door sedan production: 31,919

Super 2 door hardtop production: 73,531

Super 4 door sedan production: 41,756

Special and Century wheelbase: 122 inches

Super and Roadmaster wheelbase: 127 inches

We all know 1955 was a historical year for the American auto industry with record production fueled by Chevrolet's "Hot One" and Chrysler's updated styling (not quite) Suddenly it's 1960.

Buick increased power of the V8 and freshened styling, using modest tailfins over the twin pod taillights that had been in place. The Pop Art grille was gone for awhile.

Special Production: 381,229

Century Production: 159,154

Super Production: 132,463

Roadmaster Production: 64,518

Total Production: 737,364

Production up 67%

Factory Price of a Special: $2332 (2 door hardtop)*

Factory Price of a Century: $2601 (2 door hardtop)*

Factory Price of a Super: $2831 (2 door hardtop)*

Factory Price of a Roadmaster: $3349 (4 door sedan)*

* Represents highest production model in line up

Production Comparison Specials/Centurys vs. Super/Roadmaster (as a percentage of production)

1950 53% Special 47% Super/Roadmaster 29%*

1951 43% Special 57% Super/Roadmaster 32%*

1952 39% Special 61% Super/Roadmaster 25%*

1953 44% Special 56% Super/Roadmaster 55%*

1954 61% Sp/Cent 39% Super/Roadmaster 30%*

1955 73% Sp/Cent 27% Super/Roadmaster 43%*

* Percent differences between Specials and Roadmasters

Statistics DO TELL a story but are somewhat "static". they are only useful with research and science backing them up. For instance, there would be marketing PURPOSE behind the above numbers. Especially in 1953 when Buick made a concerted effort to produce V8 models on the same wheelbase.

Or how about 1955 when Buick production was stretched to the limit of capacity. Why didn't the factory produce more profitable vehicles? Why was the percentage skewed toward lower profit Specials and Centurys?

How did the new Chevrolet and updated styling Mopars effect or moderate a buyer's decision at point of sale?

The most obvious change is in the choice of bodystyle from grocery getter 4 door sedans to 2 door hardtops. People clearly wanted the "feel" of a convertible over the demands of the family for a purely functional 4 door sedan.

So in the end, the call to the Arkansas fellow who had the 53 Super 2 door hardtop for sale, opened my eyes again to the magnificent 50's Buicks.

Guest imported_Thriller

Thanks for the effort of putting this together Bryan.

Also of note in that time frame is, although they were lower production, 1953 was the last year for wood in a wagon and 1954 introduced the all steel Estate Wagon.

Purely speculation, but could it be simply that the Century pulled buyers from the Super to the smaller wheelbase? Getting the additional power in the smaller car may have been something. After all, the '50s were a point where horsepower started to be king and the wars began, in spite of less than spirited performance from the Dynaflow. Super production went from about 190,000 in 1953 to about 120,000 - Special production dropped from about 215,000 to 190,000, but Century production in 1954 was around 80,000. So, when you consider overall production down around 10%, the change in Special production approximates that number, but the change in Super production only seems to be accounted for if you add in the Century coming on board.

Again, that is purely speculation. The other thing I wonder is how much of the production mix was dictated by the top brass versus the dealer and consumer. If folks liked what they saw in the Century, perhaps they were drawn away from the bigger models.

Now, none of this has anything to do with owning a 1954 Century smirk.gif

Derek,

Thanks. Nice accurate analysis. Basically that is what I was hoping to accomplish was a dialogue that took us away from the doom and gloom analysis of the GM's present problems.

In writing the post, I knew there was no way I could think of every anamoly in those statistics so I am all for anecdotal comments and observations so I can learn more and understand.

A person could spend a great deal of time analyzing Buicks results against other manufacturers, the decline of the independents, the price wars between Chevy and Ford in 1953-54, and the overall economy in general.

Your a lucky bugger for getting that 54 Century wagon. That's a nice one. I am still looking closely at the 53 Super two door hardtop and a 54 Super 2 door hardtop. The problem is I want a convertible project, and for some reason they are scarce right now.

Very interesting run-down on those cars, but I did notice two very minor inaccuracies: Oldsmobile still had a six-cylinder line of cars (the 76) for 1950; Olds went "all eight" for 1951. The 98 was still on the "B" body in 1952 and would be for several more years (using the "C" body for the 98 was considered in the early '50's and a mock-up was built, but the idea was not put into production).

Thanks rustyshepherd. Trying to keep track of which bodies each GM division used was tough. I wonder if buyers noticed. It's hard to go back to the early 1950's now. Welook at this era and think ALL the dashes, fabrics and styles were neat, but I'll bet the salesmen knew the differences back then.

I know Mopar sales suffered when they effectively "downsized" or stayed smaller in 53-54 while overall GM went larger.

Nonetheless-Olds had a V8 in some series in 1949 and all series by 1951, well ahead of Buick.

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BJM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Nonetheless-Olds had a V8 in some series in 1949 and all series by 1951, well ahead of Buick. </div></div>

"Good things (spelled N A I L H E A D S) take time." 283's and 327's were sweet little engines, but Nailheads never die,they just keep on torquein......

Keep in mind that, although Olds introduced a V8 ahead of Buick, the straight-8 Olds was a far less competitive engine than Buick's OHV design. Olds needed to make a change earlier than Buick did.

For most car buyers in the mid-priced field, Buick remained very much a contender during the 1949 - 1953 straight-8 era, and outsold Oldsmobile by a wide margin.

Total production 664,556. A good solid year (NOTE: I'll bet Buick would love to have this production in 2009)

I find this somewhat interesting, does anyone have any numbers of what Buick's total worldwide production was in 2008, I would have to guess it would be up around these numbers?

I wonder where to find that information. I remember years ago it was made available fairly easy. Maybe a forum member cab help out.

The Nailhead was such a nice engine. I have owned 5-6 of them and I am most amazed by their launch and their sheer desire not to die. I have owned 3 425's, which were supposed to be finicky when it comes to timing and misfiring. They would pull and pull though, never leaving me stranded.

I think Brian has a very good point. What were the things important to a mid priced buyer during this stretch. Was it any ONE point? Probably not. Buick combined solid, leading edge styling (ventiports/grille/sweepspears) power in the straight 8 combined with PROVEN reliability, ease of maintenance, smart interiors and a strong dealer network.

Other makes had some decent points but could not bring the whole thing together. Notice the pricing on the Buicks during this time frame. Few makes had such a lineup from affordable entry level cars to Roadmasters. A base Pontiac, Olds, Dodge got you a 6 cylinder. Mopar styling was bland, their cars slow.

We saw the influence of performance in 1954 and 1955 and Buick kept pace with more horsepower and even smarter styling.

Being an owner of a '52 76R I have to object

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 1952

No change in powertrains, basic styling, or wheelbases.</div></div>

The 1952 Roadmasters were the first and only with a 4 barrel carburator on a straight eight, producing an astonishing 170 bhp. grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Erik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Being an owner of a '52 76R I have to object

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 1952

No change in powertrains, basic styling, or wheelbases.</div></div>

The 1952 Roadmasters were the first and only with a 4 barrel carburator on a straight eight, producing an astonishing 170 bhp. grin.gif</div></div> The '52 Roadmasters were the first with a 4 barrel carburetor on a straight eight engine, but they weren't the only or the last. The 1953 Packard 327 and the 1954 Packard 359 (212 horsepower!)both had four-barrel carbs.

Just a couple of points- BMJ, in your orig post you mention in your third paragraph that '53 was the end of the '49-'53 body run. Actually, '49 is a unique year. The body used in the 50 and 70 Series in '49 was the GM B body introduced for the '48 Caddy, and was used by Buick only in 1949. The B body was reengineed and restyled for 1950. The 40 Series for 1949 continued to use the old prewar body shell until late in the year, when a new Special using the new for 1950 B body was introduced early, getting a jump on the 1950 model year.

In 1950, I believe the concensus is that all Buick Series, 40,50 and 70, used the new for '50 GM B body. I've read some discussions on whether or not the long wheelbase Riviera models in the 50 and 70 series (models 52 and 72/72R) used the C body, but I'm not sure that point has ever been made for certain.

In 1951, the 40 Series moved from the B body that the 50 and 70 Series continued to use to something else. Almost none of the body parts interchange between the 40 and 50 series in 1951. I don't know for sure if the 40 Series used the GM A body, but in looking at the rooflines and fender lines, it's clear that the Specials used the same body as the smaller Oldsmobiles in '51. Supporting this is that the parts manual shows some interchangeable parts with Olds for '51 (for example, the front door vent windows interchange).