Model A Exhaust Gasket

Pat_n_Pat

Hi:

The exhaust manifold gasket on our '29 Phaeton blew out,and I am getting ready to replace it. Les Andrews book says to not install the gland rings and to use TWO copper/asbestos gaskets. Is there a reason to use 2 gaskets? Doesn't that increase the chance of gasket blow-out?

Pat

The cheap split gland rings sometimes are a problem. If you can find some solid rings that fit I would use the rings. make sure they are not to fat so the gasket won't squeeze and seat. use one set of good gaskets unless you have a badly warped manafold. The gland rings keep the manifold from sagging due to the weight of the exhaust system

This car was restored back in the '70s. Not sure when the existing gasket was installed, but there are no gland rings currently. I would not be surprised if the manifold has sagged a little over time. I understand that Ford did not install gland rings for a period in '29. Who knows! This car may not have ever had them!

So, is no Gland rings and a single gasket OK?

Pat

I checked my gasket against the manifold, and it appears that the manifold has dropped slightly at the rear. I could put a gland ring in the rear and possibly the front ports; any thoughts?

Also, I seem to remember an article in the Restorer this past year about making gland rings out of copper plumbing pipe. I seem to remember that it was an "on the road" repair.

Pat

I had a leaky gasket on my 29 tudor when I bought it. I changed gaskets, used the gland rings, and shortly it blew out again. Discovered the block was pitted. I used a little muffler patch in a tube on the block, used a copper gasket AND a fiber one together and made gland rings out of copper pipe joiners (I think that's what they are called). Made them one gasket thickness longer and also used a socket that had taper to swell one end of the copper so it fit tightly in the ports. Been a couple years now and still no leaks. Sounds kinda hokey but I did it cleanly and one can hardly tell it isn't just perfect.

My thinking was twofold. 1st, the copper should be soft enough to have a little squish if slightly too long and 2nd, they have no split in them to leak past. I was hoping that would take some of the pressure off the gaskets and so far it appears to have worked!