re cash for clunkers

that email didn't work for me. This one did. sf.nancy@mail.house.gov

I also added this note.

This is an additional note to the form letter that follows. Many of the cars that would be scrapped provide parts for hobbyists and experimenters. The Chrysler 4 cylinder turbo engines are capable of 40 mpg with the proper setup. This is an accidental discovery of tuning and building the engine for more horsepower. The manufacturers build the engines for longevity with minimal maintenance requirements. This compromises the emissions and mpg.

My wife's uncle was Wilbur Clair that started the ruckus over the plastic carburetor floats in the 60's that wasted fuel. The simple explanation was the floats were good when designed. Fuel additives that Congress mandated after the floats were in cars destroyed them and they no longer functioned properly thereby dumping too much fuel in the engine. This was the result of well intentioned legislation by Congress without investigating the consequences. Please come up with a GOOD idea like the one suggested below.

Thank you,

Bill Reichert

St. Louis, Mo.

I feel that this is a hopeless effort now that the democrats are in power. They have been trying for years to remove old cars from the road, now they are trying to remove the old, dirty burning cars that were the clean burning replacements during their first effort. We will just have to be vigilant in finding the TCs that might be donated before they are gone.

One of these days the Dems will decide that they can legislate these cars off the road for free by removing our ability to have them registered for road use. They might even decide on using the OBDII system as the cutoff (1996 models).

I'll let Hemi chime in on his TC. I don't think he gets 40 mpg but it is very good.

the following is for the 4 cylinders engines. I don't know a thing about the V6.

Getting 40 mpg requires a lot of mods that are not "off the shelf" items and running on the ragged edge of melted pistons for optimum combustion.

You can search Turbo_Mopar.com for more info. The best thread was about 2 years ago. Search for MpgMike and Tvanlant threads. Tvanlant does head porting for a reasonable price.

Guest My TC Toy

If my memory serves me, we had a similar proposal in the Canadian Parliament about 12 years ago. All the Car Clubs in Canada, and their members wrote their members and had the item set aside.

So, there is always hope. Remember, we are not talking about junk cars here, which I think you will all agree should be off the road, we are talking about collector cars in good working order and many of which are used only on special occasions (when the sun shines!).

So, send the e-mails off to your representatives and good luck!

Guest Grizzzly

The only thing is that donor cars would probably be listed as "junk." Don't let them get their foot in the door or those will be gone too, and in our case a very large supply of the parts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> So, there is always hope. Remember, we are not talking about junk cars here, which I think you will all agree should be off the road, we are talking about collector cars in good working order and many of which are used only on special occasions (when the sun shines!). </div></div>

Therein lies the rub. What defines junk? I had a 65 Dodge Dart. Highly collectible? Not really. But it was a fantastic car, got high 20's mpg and went over 400k on the original slant six engine and tranny. It was also 4 shades of primer grey.

To some, my Dart might be considered junk. I had many who called it a POS. Yet my POS continued to be driven long after other folks cars had come and gone to the great scrap yard in the sky. To me it was reliable transportation and a car my family enjoyed for 40+ years, and is still living on in a MOPAR household not far from me.

Ring, ring. I hear the chimes... First, for the last comments about the fantastic slant 6 engine.

The 'bullet proof' slant 6 engines were all 4 (four) main bearing engines.

When they came out in 1960, I was disappointed with this although time proved that I had nothing to worry about.

This engine had/has the same huge mains as the big block V8's. The cranks were forged and weigh a ton with their huge counterweights.

I have rebuilt a couple recently, one original 225 engine from a '62 Lancer that had never been torn down before. The crank journals were still like new and required only polishing a little and standard bearings were installed on assembly.

A Valiant with a 170 engine and 3 speed manual transmission won the AAA fuel economy run in the 60s got around 29 MPG, I think it was.

My mother's '65 Barracuda with the 225 and automatic would easily get in the low 20 MPG range. I'm pleased to report it is still running well for it's new owner having never yet been rebuilt and although it's not fast, it still makes passes on the 1/4 mile drag strip from time to time.

Now for a few comments about our TCs. First of all I don't understand why so many are already being scrapped. I have bought and parted out a few myself and see only abuse and lack of maintenance as the cause for people giving up on them.

I have 2 that I drive as you all know, one (8 valve) with plenty of miles on it. I maintain it as it needs, clean cooling system being the MOST important. PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THAT! CORROSION IS THE KILLER!

Many have discussed the frequency of oil changes... Mine is due now as the oil is darkening but not BAD. I use Mobil 1 and checked my lube sticker the other day. I last changed it in May of 2006. I assure you that the engine is still healthy and quiet and most importantly, CLEAN.

We are also talking fuel mileage. I find it difficult to see 40 MPG on one of our cars although I get from 32 to 34 MPG on mine on a regular run from home to my shop. I have managed 39 MPG one time with my Dodge Aries with a 2.2L TBI engine and a lock-up 3 speed torqueflite with a rather tall final drive ratio.

The Chrysler TC by Maserati was not meant to be a 'beater' but rather a luxury 2 seat sports car. Those of you that have one or many, take care of them. Get proper and quality repairs when needed. I have had to do very little to mine except the normal maintenance and a head gasket before it blew. Keep in mind that they are only good for around 80 to 90 thousand miles, and NEVER use FELPRO head gaskets. Replace the head gasket before it blows and see just how close it is to going. It's easy to do before a failure by just 'jacking' the head up a few inches and pulling out the old gasket and slipping in the new one. Just be sure to clean the 2 surfaces well before bolting it all down. This way there is no need to disconnect exhaust, fuel and most vacuum lines, etc.

Some people call this 'Flat-rating' but it is not, if this is all that is needed. I do it myself for not only my cars but for customers as well. How many times do we not read where the mechanic looks at the cracks between the valve seats and sells you a rebuilt head or even a new one. Most of the time there is nothing wrong, the cracks do not affect the operation. There is no water leak from them. It's overkill and oversell. Many a TC has been scrapped for just this reason.

Have a Happy New Year and I'll be looking for your reply. I'm sure there will be plenty.

Guest mtworkshop

I stand corrected about five main bearings in the slant six.

I shall be investigating and trying to top thirty mpg on my two 2.2 auto TCs. I'm trying to imagine cleaning the gasket from a head just a few inches above the block. I suppose that is something that must be experienced to be believed. I'll give it a go if I blow a gasket.

Mike

Just a little more on that head gasket 'flat-rating' job.

As I have a shop, it's easier to do but the trick is an engine hoist, "cherry-picker", 2 equal length old fan belts long enough to wrap around the camshaft to the 'hook' above #1 & #4 cyl. in a 'U' fashion.

I use a flat stone, an Arkansas stone. All you need is room for the stone which is about 1 1/4 inch thick and your hand. I use parts solvent as the lubricating source.

It's important to be watchful when jacking up the head, look it over carefully prior to and during the process so you don't bust something. There are still a lot of things to disconnect but it is a work and time saver in the long run if done properly.