Where can I find 6 volt batteries?

MarkV

Guest Don Aust

Sears is usually good, but pricey. Sam's Club if you have one nearby. Batteries Plus can be good for just about any battery one could want- some priced right, some high. Good luck.

The cheapest is not always the best. But you can get a good battery at a moderate price.

Some of the cheap batteries don't have the Cold Cranking Amps necessary to get your car started, nor do they have a long life. I have used "DEKA" batteries for several years. I bought their group 2 battery (6 volt) for about $72 in 2006, and it has 780 cold cranking amps. You can use this as a benchmark against which to rate other batteries.

A lot of people swear by the new Optima gel batteries, and these are good. But they cost about $139 and deliver 800 CCA. You have to balance what you get, for what you pay...

I've had great luck with Sam's Club's big 6 Volt Golf Cart Battery. It's large and a deep cycle battery that can handel long periods of low charge. And it's cheap!

Draw back is the size, you need plenty of height.

I was able to put two (2) 6-volt Optima batteries in my 39 LaSalle and they fit perfectly in the standard battery box which is located under the driver's front floorboard (where they don't show). The two are hooked in parallel and give 1600 cold cranking amps. Needless to say, I have no problems in starting the car, hot or cold. Overkill? Probably, but it works. With all of the big bucks we put into our restorations, what is an extra $130 or so to have a car that always starts? For details, look under "Technical Stuff" at my web site www.fzoldcars.com

Fred

Guest oldmobile1

I've been using TSC Tractor supply batteries for years, they hold up well. If you figure tractors set 90% of the time, they supply good batteries.