Wheel Rim Bolts

Guest John1918

Guest John1918

Does anyone know the source for the Model T rim bolt pictured? My Ford friends are either don't know or won't tell but I think they come from a USA supplier. The Ford ones are cheap at $2 but are about 0.45" too short for the 1920 Dodge. If the source could be located it might be possible to get them to make longer ones for the Dodge. Length for the Dodge one -also pictured, is 3.25" counting the head or 2.875" (2 + 7/8 inch) bolt length x 7/16" UNF. The Ford one is high tensile steel.

John

post-45637-14313802139_thumb.jpg

Guest BobD735

I wish you the best of luck locating the 7/16" X 3 1/4" long rim bolt. I need a few of those also.

Carriage bolts have a low profile head, and are threaded the entire length.

Guest John1918

I am using 3 inch high tensile bolts and they are OK for the job. I turned the head down a bit but it doesn't look like the real thing and they haven't got the square to stop them turning when undoing the nut. John

Guest simplyconnected

I just spoke with a cold-heading company that makes them for the Ford guys. They will do a 'run' of 3" (or 3-1/4")length, but I don't think you guys can use that many bolts. Maybe if there is enough call, we could make this happen.

Dave Dare

Guest simplyconnected

Set-up time is what we're paying for. A National cold heading machine pops them out so fast you can't even see it happen; 10,000 bolts with rolled threads in one hour. After that comes heat-treat and plating. End result is a perfect, hardened bolt, made to exact dimensions.

They already have the dies, but it takes a few hours to set up the machine for a run (-which is a lot of work. A crane lifts the dies.). The actual production time for this run is nothing.

If there isn't much demand, the only other alternative is a screw machine operation where the bolt is cut from round stock, producing a much weaker bolt.

What is the correct length needed? 2.875?

Guest simplyconnected

We'll make them the exact same hardness as the Model T bolts. This company has lots of experience making them. I love originality, but quite honestly, these bolts will be much better.

Did you see the picture at the top? Looks like a Blacksmith made that top bolt. Today's steel is much more defined, which makes heat treat much more effective.

Remember, the bolts need to be tough, NOT HARD! Glass is hard, and therefore brittle. We case harden, but leave the inside tough, yielding much higher tensile and impact strength than the original bolts.

Guest BobD735

In your quest to provide a rim bolt of the correct size and structural integrity, you might want to consider that other car manufacturers of the 1920's, who used the same Kelsey 32X4 rim, also used the same rim bolt.

Rather than limit your survey to Dodge Brothers needs, through the Forum, you might want to provide owners of Chalmers, Essex,Studebaker, Hupp, Paige, Scripps Booth, Packard and Hupmobile, the same opportunity.

• 4 weeks later...