Not Tom Wilcox's car, but...

West Peterson

Guest imported_Speedster

Hey, I have an Idea!

We could all put black-walls on one side, of all our cars, and white-walls on the other side. That way Everyone would be Happy! If not, they would only have to walk around to the other side. laugh.gif

What do ya think??? laugh.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbirdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How about this color... </div></div>

Nope, it needs bright-Orange fenders and stripes, to be the Puuurrfect Circus-Wagon. shocked.giflaugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ken

You do know that I have the power to delete posts, and that one is definitely riding on the fence. sick.gif </div></div>

So what's wrong with a little green? Maybe if you put a hemi in it cry.gif So which one is worse?

25blur.jpg

So...on those "twins"...which fender molding pinstripe is correct? The chrome wheeled car has the pinstripe at the lower part of the raised fender molding. The other car has the pinstripe on the upper part of the raised fender molding.

Guest imported_Speedster

Okay, I did a Zoom-in and lightening of both, and can now see them both and can see what you mean. I thought the stripe was supposed to be in middle of raised band?

post-33516-143138014568_thumb.jpg

post-33516-14313801457_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Speedster

Tom,

So, it should be closer to Top edge (inner edge) of band, on fenders ??? What about on the body, I thought those should be in middle also?

They are also a good example of how much different a chrome grill-shell or louvers makes the car look.

Guest imported_Speedster

I was trying to deside about the shell, before. The painted shell definitely gives cars a more Modern streamlined look and chrome gives it a more Vintage look.

Older than '32 needs to be chrome (or German-silver if possible) and later than '34 need to be painted, but I think '32 thru '34 shells look great both ways. If I was restoring one I would go with Painted shell, if nothing else it would cost a lot less. laugh.gif LOL laugh.gif

As to what the different models, for those 3 years, had originally, I'm not sure?

(I've heard different opinions on that subject)

The louvers look good in a contrasting surface, so if shell is painted, the shutters(louvers) need to be plated, but if both are plated they look good also.

Especially if you 'Like a Lot of Bling'. laugh.gif LOL laugh.gif

Chrome shell with painted shutters, looks even More Vintage, grin.gif

and Vintage is not a bad thing, as many of the 'Vintage Old Codgers' on this forum, can tell you. laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speedster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I was restoring one I would go with Painted shell, if nothing else it would cost a lot less. laugh.gif LOL laugh.gif </div></div>

I have often wondered about that. What you're saying is that is is cheaper to chrome the louvers than the shell? I would think that it would be more work to chrome all those individual louvers, and polishing them would be a lot more labor intensive as well.

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What you're saying is that is is cheaper to chrome the louvers than the shell? </div></div>

No, 'I' didn't say that. I didn't take my wonderings that far into the question of overall cost. At that point I was only talking about the Shell finish cost. wink.gif and another feeble attempt at making a joke. grin.gif

Hey, maybe someone had already chromed the shutters. laugh.gif LOL laugh.gif

Of the 2 grille-shells (two '29s) I've had plated, the shutters were supposed to be painted and my 1502's shell I painted, with plated shutter-assembly. And if I remember correctly the cost of plating the shutters for the '37 was close to cost of a '29 shell. I do remember, for sure, that they ALL were a lot of work to clean, weld-fill, sand and buff for Plating prep. tired.gifcry.gif Much less work to repair, putty-fill and Paint. wink.gif

Of course I've always done most of the Plating prep work, to save on Plating-shop cost. And it greatly depends on the condition of the parts that need restoring.

They each really have a nice delicate balance to them. The one with the chrome shell looks great with the painted wheels and the one with the painted shell has the nice chrome wheels. It's rather difficult to decide.....o.k....I'll take them both!

For 1932, the cars came with a chrome radiator shell, but painted was optional..same price. The louvers came painted, and chrome plated was 20.00 extra. The Super 8 was the same. The Twin-Six was the same on the louvers, but there is no mention of the radiator shell.

The Light Eight mentions nothing about louvers or shell. Hope this helps...B

Guest imported_Speedster

Yes, it seems the general opinion is that just about anything was an option and acceptable for '32 thru '34 grille, so what ever 'Turns you On' is 'Good to Go', is what I say. grin.gif