What is your favorite Packard and why?

Dave Mitchell

Guest 39Super8

Dave, great information on 39 super 8 shutters being color keyed to body color. I was lead to believe they were black on all cars, but would trust the data book above all. Thanks for the info. I have been waiting for the data book to be reproduced so I can get an affordable (durable) copy.

As for the Tripp lights, I basically agree with you and West. I really want senior Tripps for my car, but feel the fog lights that are on it now are more proportionally pleasing. Maybe your idea of running Tripp juniors would be a happy medium.

Jim

Jim, if you ever want anything special scanned from the data book, just let me know. I know West hates all lights, but I like lights and have a large collection of them - all sorts of Trippes - bullet back and round back seniors with and without levels, chrome and painted, as well as juniors, including the three types of special brackets, then there are the Super Rays and all sort of other lights, not to mention spot lights. My next big project is a 38 12 Derham which had senior Trippe bullet backs on from new. I have a 41 160 sedan which has Packard Road and Fog lights on it, and they look a little small to me, but they were on the car when sold new. I will see if I can find a good photo of the 39 Six with the juniors on it for you.

Dave

Well as far as I know there were two different versions, an early one with a lens and buld and a later one that was a sealed unit. I am pretty sure that the early version was used as far back as 37, and up to 39. I suspect that the sealed version came out at about the same time as the sealed beam headlight - or 1940. I will go and look at my accessory catalogs when I get a chance and see if I can give you a better answer. By 48 I think they were a smaller light with a thinner shell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clipper47</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just love all Packards of any era but I would have to say that I love the 1929-31 Eight with that big flat grille

</div></div>

I guess this is why we all have different taste and cars. grin.gif I think the V grill makes the 32-34 Packards. I also like the 32-34 coupe roadster as they look good with the top up or down with two distinctive but different looks.

I also like this 34 Coupe. Not a big fan of the 5 passenger coupe, but the 2-4 coupe is a great looking close car.

2005_08.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Mitchell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jim, if you ever want anything special scanned from the data book, just let me know. I know West hates all lights, but I like lights and have a large collection of them - all sorts of Trippes - bullet back and round back seniors with and without levels, chrome and painted, as well as juniors, including the three types of special brackets, then there are the Super Rays and all sort of other lights, not to mention spot lights. My next big project is a 38 12 Derham which had senior Trippe bullet backs on from new. I have a 41 160 sedan which has Packard Road and Fog lights on it, and they look a little small to me, but they were on the car when sold new. I will see if I can find a good photo of the 39 Six with the juniors on it for you.

Dave</div></div>

If you are going to the bother of scanning any publication, please consider sending a copy of the scan to BigKev at www.Packardinfo.com It is a great site that has grown incredibly over that past year and a half. He has many scans of original publications and more come in and are posted every month.

He has made a great lightning rod for Packard enthusiasts on the net.

here's my vote. 34 twelve dietrich coupe. when i was 16, my dad and i nearly bought this car, or its twin, for 1000 dollars. we passed because it had a connecting rod problem and dad was afraid of what we'd get into. this was in 1964. instead, bought a 47 ford super deluxe convertible out of a barn for sixty bucks.

post-30966-14313801547_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well... I know my two favorites are in Geneseo Illinois. One is dark blue and the other came over from Scandinavia..

Am I right Dave?

I think people need to be reminded how beautiful and unique the Bowman and Schwartz car really is!

I will admit I am a Lasalle fan.. but those two cars really make me wonder if I'm not a closet Packard fan also.

I just love the very early Packards 1890's through 1910's . The older the better. I will never have the money to buy one so I just admire from afar. The quality was so evident from the onset of the company. I think they had the zest and work ethic to produce a fine auto and the insult from Mr. Winton was just what they needed to produce it. JO BO

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ChrisSummers

I've literally never met a Packard I didn't like. Now that I think about it, I can't even say that about Duesenbergs...maybe I'm fooling around with the wrong make!

That said:

> Any 734 that wasn't cobbled together out of parts in the 1980s.

> Anything and everything by Dietrich in 1934.

> Any one with the factory air-conditioning (I just think it's amazing that they could do that in 1941).

> The Murphy-bodied 1930 745 Town Car Landaulet in the Nethercutt Collection.

> 1938 1605 Super Eight convertible sedan.

> And finally, at the risk of being hanged, the 1958 Hawk, because I love mutts that get no respect.

Sorry, West, no photos at the moment