Hershey

tbirdman

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Me.

Ken. There will definitely be weather. I don't think I've ever been to Hershey when there hasn't been weather. </div></div>

I would like to go on a day that you won't have to swim cry.gif

Guest superods

Birdman you are now out of your element and into our "elements".... ie. Hershey-08.

A group of us go every year. Have found......One day wet...One day dry...One day cold...One day warm...with variations thereof.

I think that covers it. But you will be soo busy trying to find that "deal" you won't notice....I know I never do.

enjoy !!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superods</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Birdman you are now out of your element and into our "elements".... ie. Hershey-08.

A group of us go every year. Have found......One day wet...One day dry...One day cold...One day warm...with variations thereof.

I think that covers it. But you will be soo busy trying to find that "deal" you won't notice....I know I never do.

enjoy !! </div></div>

Well I know my feet will only handle one day of walking so I have flex in my schedule. Unfortunately a weather report a week out is not too reliable.

I'm not sure what deals I will find but I am probably looking for more 1912 Cadillac related items than than 32 Packard parts. Two years ago, the trip really paid off as I discovered someone reproducing the 32 engine turned dash piece.

The one thing I did notoce was how many Packard hupcaps were for sale blush.gif

Yeah, weather every year, but don't you miss the mud and puddles? Now it is all asphalt, and umbrellas everywhere. Heck, get wet, it's Hershey! A few years ago, my young (8 at the time) son put in perspective. Tramping through the mud, I was disgusted. He was, in his nice yellow boots, enjoying stomping through every mud puddle. Kinda changed my perspective on the whole thing. Embrace it, enjoy it, it's what it is, and move on. And I can smell the chocolate already. Stop and say hi to me or my son Austin, CG32-34, we'll have some Pierce, Cord, and other misc. junk for sale. Happy Motoring (on the way to Chocolate Town) David Coco

Guest 51Patty400

Can someone please post the details on this show. I am headed to Penn this weekend on business (flying out tonight.) Had no idea there was an event.

- Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 51Patty400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can someone please post the details on this show. I am headed to Penn this weekend on business (flying out tonight.) Had no idea there was an event.

- Mark </div></div>

Hershey is from Oct 8 (Weds) to Sat Oct 11. Biggest swap meet in the US I believe. Tons of pre-war stuff. Large car corral, couple of auctions and a AACA meet on Sat.

Well I went on Friday, though Thursday would had been fine as the weather was great both days. I also think Thursday would had been a better day as it seemed a lot of vendors were packing up early. As usual Hershey is huge and I only covered about 1/4 of it before my legs gave out.

I did score some unexpected. I found a fresh rebuilt 1932 Stewart Warner fuel pump. I have a modiefied AC on my 32 that looks similiar but is not correct for judging. Only had to give an arm for it cry.gif

I also discoverd a guy who claimed he had a metal trunk in show car condition. He wanted an arm plus two legs and my first born for it laugh.gif I resisted as the only time I would use a trunk would be on a tour as the trunk I think ruins the proportion of the coupe roadster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbirdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I resisted as the only time I would use a trunk would be on a tour as the trunk I think ruins the proportion of the coupe roadster.

</div></div>

Yup, yup, yup. I agree. In most cases, the auxiliary trunk makes a great-looking car look goofy. Neat accessory, but needed for touring only, not for show.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Owen_Dyneto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you got that 1932 S-w fuel pump from Bob Stolzfus' spot in the "Packard Row", he was selling it for a friend of mine. It was a rebuild by Daytona Parts down in Florida and appeared to be an excellent and quite rare find. </div></div>

Well I'm glad to know that. I hope it was built with ethanol resistant diaphram. The person I talked to said she was selling it for Oly. I found it within 1 hour of walking the swap meet. The label said it was rebuilt by Daytona parts.

I wasn't looking for one, but accidently found it. In fact I almost walked past their space not aware they were selling Packard parts. It's about the last thing to make my 32 100% correct though I have never been deducted for it as far as I know for the AC pump I have.

I need to run some new lines and get them plated as they outlets are different. Should the ears have some sort of reinforcement to prevent them from cracking, like a steel shell in the bolt holes?

The rebuild was recent so I'd be confident it was done to be compatible with modern gasoline. As far as the mounting, best to check your parts book for the details, I'm only familiar with the 34 and up mountings but they used fiber sleeves in the bolt holes and in fact Packard used this technique well up into the 50s. Always a great feeling to get that "last" item, isn't it? Plating of the lines should be nickel, not chrome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Owen_Dyneto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rebuild was recent so I'd be confident it was done to be compatible with modern gasoline. As far as the mounting, best to check your parts book for the details, I'm only familiar with the 34 and up mountings but they used fiber sleeves in the bolt holes and in fact Packard used this technique well up into the 50s. Always a great feeling to get that "last" item, isn't it? Plating of the lines should be nickel, not chrome. </div></div>

Your friend did a good job and I felt the price was reasonable with the bonus of the rebuild already done.

I checked with the PI judging and though nickle is correct, chrome is accepted. I went with chrome just for easier maintenance. As far as last item, I think I'm just searching for the correct regulator which may be harder to find than the fuel pump, neither of which I found for sale in the past three years. Always comforting when you call up a Packard supplier and they start laughing when you ask for a impossible to get part. laugh.gif Always looking for a repo carb top. Seems like they only exist for std 8 carbs for 32.

Is the purposes of the fiber sleeves to take the strain of the ears of the fuel pump?

I've heard it said that CCCA changed their stance on nickel vs chrome recently, and that new restorations as of some recent date will get deductions where chrome has been subsituted. Can't verify this though.

Until about 2 years ago NAPA/Echlin had NORS regulators for the early Owen-Dyneto units, and got 4 new ones for my 34 Eight, at about $40 each. Functional and nearly identical in appearance. But alas they are no longer in production.