Another Wheel Question

ol' yeller

I don't mean to keep picking brains here but being the proud new owner of my '90 Reatta, I am finding I have a lot of questions. My car has ugly Corvette wheels on it. I'd like to install the chrome Buick wheels that I had on my 98 Regal GS. I am pretty sure they were 16" wheels. Would these work on the Reatta? I think the wheel size for the Reatta is 5X115 from what I saw when I searched this forum. I'm not sure what size the GS wheels are but I suspect they may be the same. What size tires should I install so as to not throw off the Speedo too much? Has anyone installed these wheels on their Reatta? Thanks.

Greg

Generally speaking, you can use any big, front drive, GM car wheel on the Reatta. In 1986 when the big cars went front drive, all the bolt patterns were 115mm bolt circle.

You will find 15", 16", and now larger sizes used on Lucern, Lacross, etc. The Regals from 1997 and newer used the 115mm bolt pattern for sure, I am not sure if the earlier Regal used that pattern.

Corvette, Camaro, Firebird will not fit.

Also there are slight variations in the backspacing of the GM wheels, again most will fit, but you need to take measurements or try a wheel before buying 4 and getting them mounted.

Guest F14CRAZY

Dave: a quick google search shows that the Catera, probably because of its Opel roots, has a 5x110 lug pattern, not the 5x115 pattern we're familiar with.

Attached is a sketch I made of the 15" and 16" stock Reatta wheels.

Backspacing....the distance from the extreme back of the wheel to the mounting surface. On the 16" Reatta wheel it is 5.75 in (146mm)

Offset... if you imagine a center line of the wheel (lets say the wheel is 8" wide outside to outside, then the center line would be 4" inches from either side) The offset is the difference between the backspacing and the centerline.... in the case of the Reatta 16" wheel it is 1.75 inches.

These are the measurements you need to keep in mind when looking for replacement wheels. Backspacing is the easiest to measure, so shoot of a measurement between 5.5 and 5.75

post-30596-143138002395_thumb.jpg

Guest F14CRAZY

If you wished to engineer it it would depend on the wheel itself but you MIGHT be able to add another bolt pattern...like if you've noticed a lot of aftermarket wheels have two bolt patterns. You would have to consider if there's enough metal left for the wheel to be safe that way, if it can be done with enough precision, and I guess also you need to make sure the center hole is the same size because Reatta wheels are "hub centric" (I guess) meaning that most the weight and force rides on the center hole and hub, not on the lugs

Guest F14CRAZY

I mean it's possible but there's a lot to consider...personally I wouldn't mess with it because there are that many other wheels to chose from as Maui points out...it could be engineered but not worth it (safety/structural integrity to be considered)

What guys might want to do and what I thought of while out in the u-pick yard, was how to dress up the center hub of these wheels. So what I did was grab the tri-shield emblems that are mounted by adhesive only on the roof behind the doors of older Buicks. From what I saw there are 2 sizes, 2 1/4" chrome plated plastic and 2 1/2" solid chrome. I plan on using those when I find the wheels I want.

Guest spyhunter2k

The source of factory-replacement wheels for the Reatta will depend on the look you're going for. To enhance the fact that it's a luxury 2-seater, Buick or Cadillac wheels fit the bill.

To steer the image of your Reatta more towards that of a sports car, many Pontiac (and some Chevy) wheels are available in the 115 X 5 size. I am currently running '04 18 X 8 Bonneville GXP wheels on my lowered Reatta, and it looks killer for the look I am going for (pics to follow when I get the dad-burned bumpers finished).

That is great! I saw the '02 polished in a parking lot and they have 3 arrows on each spoke. otherwise they are what I am looking at.

Did you by chance look up the '99 Cadillac Catera? That is one pretty wheel. I couldn't take no for an answer so I went back and tried to put the wheel on my car. It didn't fit so I now know no matter what I can't have it.

Dave... the wheel adaptors fit between the wheel and rotor, this pushes the wheel outward the thickness of the adaptor.

The adaptors must be thick enough to hold the studs and there must be room for the nuts to be recessed in the adaptor to hold it in place. This usually means the adaptor will be around 3/4 inch thick.

Adaptors should be your LAST choice.

Went back to the local u-pick yard...

They just got in, get this, a 1992 Chev Lumina van with American Racer #AR106 wheels on it. They are polished chrome, very nice, $35.00 a wheel each. There are 2 very nice P205-65-15 Goodyear tires on it. $30.00 for the pair.

As I'm in there quite a bit maybe $150.00 for them all. I pick them up tomorrow. Will take pics when they are on.

Picked them up today. 4 rims #AR-157 American Racing wheels. Got all 4 rims. 2 rims had almost new Goodyear Allegra 205-70-15 on them. Going back Friday for 2 more tires to make up the set. Total cost so far $140.00. Rims did not clean up as nice as I thought they would. They are not quite as nice as the Cadillac Cateras but my wife thought they looked nice. Definitely sportier then the original Reatta wheel.

I pulled Trishield trim pieces off Park Avenues and will use those for the center hub cover.

Should have the whole project done next week.

Guest MauiWowee

I'd say you did well.

Product ID : AR6715791 Catalog Manufacturer

Passenger Wheels American Racing

Chrome Santa Cruz 15x7 5/115 (GM Cars)

American Racing Chrome Santa Cruz one-piece cast aluminum wheel with chrome plated finish. +45mm Offset Free Shipping on this Item!

Price: $163.95 Quantity:

671.jpg