1936 Super 8 Phaeton on Ebay

1935Packard

<span style="font-style: italic">A few inaccuracies under the hood.</span>

I don't know that engine so well, but it seemed to me that they went a bit overboard with the chrome.

Also, were the steering wheels ever that shiny?

Well, OK, more than a few. On such an otherwise lovely car, I suppose any at all would be too many. On quick qlance I noted the cylinder head and water jacket distribution plate should be painted (green) as should the carburetor (black), the valve rocker shaft housings shouldn't be painted but natural aluminum. The plated engine trim should be nickel-plate, not chrome. Looks like the oil filler and road draft tubes are plated and should be painted black, etc. Still, it would be welcome in my garage.

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Owen_Dyneto</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I noted the cylinder head should be painted (green)</div></div>

Wasn't there an optional aluminum alloy cyl-head, that was Not painted, in '36 ??

I remember something about that but can't remember what years it was available?

(It appears that is what is on that engine.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Owen_Dyneto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, OK, more than a few. On such an otherwise lovely car, I suppose any at all would be too many. On quick qlance I noted the cylinder head and water jacket distribution plate should be painted (green) as should the carburetor (black), the valve rocker shaft housings shouldn't be painted but natural aluminum. The plated engine trim should be nickel-plate, not chrome. Looks like the oil filler and road draft tubes are plated and should be painted black, etc. Still, it would be welcome in my garage. </div></div>

Look's like the restorer wanted more bling cry.gif Also the starter end cap should be painted green along with the water jacket bolts I believe. Also the fuel pump should be gloss black. I question how can a car with an engine compartment so off from stock, still receive Senior status for both AACA and CCCA. Is it notthat many points for having an engine restored incorrectly? However most of this stuff can easily be done over correctly.

Guest peter packard

G'day all, My 35 Super 1205 has an alloy head and as the vehicle has 25,000 miles original, I doubt that it has been changed. I know that the head was removed and unleaded valve seats installed by the previous owner. Perhaps he changed the head but where he would get an alloy one from, I don't know. Best Regards Peter Toet

Guest imported_Speedster

Well, here's an original Ad for '36 Super-8 Club-Sedan and it has same bumper and no fender-lights, the same as factory pic. So maybe the one on eBay has wrong bumpers and lights added ?

post-33516-143138002197_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbirdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks like someone wants it with a bid of $225K (though still below reserve)which I think is high for a 36 convertible </div></div>

It's probably the seller that placed the bid, wink.gif trying to get it to that Outragious reserve. shocked.gif They been watchin' Barrett-Jackson Too much. laugh.gif

Guest peter packard

G'day Owen Dyneto, I had another look and I believe that my alloy head may be a "special" as I discovered a set of head casting moulds amongst the spare parts which I got with the vehicle. WOW, it is really amazing and dare I use a Seventies term- Funky stuff. Best Regards _Peter Toet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Owen_Dyneto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the confirmation of an apparent OEM alloy head on a 385 engine; it's a dull day that you don't learn something new. If it has a casting or part # and casting date on it, I'd appreciate knowing that so I can make a notation in my parts book.</div></div>

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: peter packard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I discovered a set of head casting moulds </div></div>

Wow is right, Now you can go into the Head making business! grin.gif