Prewar Replacement Exhaust Systems

TexRiv_63

I called Waldron Antique Exhaust about a replacement system for my Pierce. They have a pattern for my car but they asked me to send my old pipes in to be sure of a match. I have seen this company mentioned favorably in these forums but this request surprised me. I would like a system I can install myself rather than the local muffler shop route, but it needs to be as accurate as possible. I'd like to know how other prewar car owners have handled this and your experiences with Waldron or other suppliers.

Ehhh, no. The old pipes are the best template for a good pipe bender (which many local exhaust shops can do very well, it's all in the skill of the machine operator) a drawing isn't as useful in a 1:1 way that the reminants of the old pipes are.

again, it's in the skill of the machine operator.

John and John,

Thanks for the replies. I also posted on the PAS message board and I got a number of replies including some private messages. I think I will try to find a replacement muffler only from an outside supplier and use the local shop that did my Riviera system for the pipes and installation. More of a hassle but also potentially less of a hassle after seeing some folks' comments. Surprisingly Kepich came out ahead of Waldrons. Are there any other suppliers that do prewar reproduction mufflers?

My 24 Master "Cut Down" Truck exhaust just had an elbow after the muffler and came out the driver's side. It made so much noise at stop lights and while driving next to other cars that it was unbearable.

I had no original pattern to follow, so I took it to a local shop and watched as the new tail pieces were made to fit through the only route avaiable in the chassis. This guy took his time and made sure to maximize clearances. I doubt that it could possibly differ much from the original.

Exhaust systems must fit the available space, to the fraction of an inch in some cases.It would be practically impossible to make one to a drawing unless it was a factory blueprint. The drawing would have to be that accurate.

A good muffler shop can make your exhaust for you. I know, I used to work in one.