How's the market?

Mike Cullen

I've been watching the prices on Zephyrs for a while now. It doesn't seem like there are many early (36 and 37) models changing hands. I've been thinking long and hard about parting with my 36 Sedan, but by what I've seen, the market for the Sedans, especially the early ones is soft, not necessarily due to the cars themselves, but only because there are so few good ones that hit the market. I really love the car, and should keep it, but I'm finding that I drive it less and less, although it runs great and never gives me any trouble at all. Any opinions on the desireability of early sedans? (at least the hotrodders don't want them to chop up!)

Guest imported_V12Bill

I think the market is very soft for big boy toys at present. I just sold a 48 Lincoln that had been on the market for 3 years. True I didn't really want to sell, but eventually I did. I ran an ad in Hemmings for 4 months straight and have not had one call on the ad. My buyer found me through some other source.

HEMMINGS SEEMS TO BE OLD NEWS. I BOUGHT MY CAR THERE IN 1975, THAT WAS THE LAST CENTURY..NOW HMN IS AN AUCTION RAG

FULL OF ADS FOR CAR LIFTS..

BUT SEEMS TO ME HOT RODS HAVE TAKEN OVER ..CLOSED CARS AND 4DOORS BETTER HAVE A CRATE MOTOR TO SELL..

I JUST DONT SEE MANY FOLKS PILING IN A FORDOOR ON A HOT SUMMER DAY FOR ANYTHING..

THEY WANT CD'S, AC AND DRAG PERFORMANCE..NOT THE CHALLENGE

OF 70 YEAR OLD ENGINEERING...

HOPE YOUR NOT IN IT FOR THE $$$$

People just dont have any respect for old cars. When I am driving around in any of the 5, they tailgate and cut me off, they dont care to think that maybe the car has old tech., etc. they care more about their Starbucks coffee and their little cell phone conversation, the bottom line is that no one cares anymore and that is why the world is in the shape it is.

I'm not hurting to sell it, nor am I upside down with it. (I've had it quite a while, bought it right, and haven't gone crazy throwing money at it) I'll likely just keep driving it, touching up little things as I can and enjoy it. Even a Brewster Green car in Southwest Florida isn't too hot as long as you park in the shade, and when you are out, just keep moving. The only reason I'm even considering selling is to make room for a black era T roadster or touring car and maybe another project bike. I really want to step back into the slow lane for a while.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1948Lincoln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People just dont have any respect for old cars. When I am driving around in any of the 5, they tailgate and cut me off, they dont care to think that maybe the car has old tech., etc. they care more about their Starbucks coffee and their little cell phone conversation, the bottom line is that no one cares anymore and that is why the world is in the shape it is. </div></div>

Ain't it the truth!

Mike,

Those early Zephyrs are somewhat hot, if well marketed. The four door Chrysler Airflows, the Zephyrs, the big Nashs (which had hints of streamlining) are doing well. BUT I have to ask what your expectations are?

There are some hobbyists that want those "Arizona auction" prices on their cars when that is not realistic. I would market it just once on ebay with a slick several photo auction and detailed comments, set your reserve, and see what happens.

This will give you some idea of market value. ebay isn't an end-all be-all but check on a few tell tale signs.

1. How many visitors (counted on the bottom)

2. How many questions you need to answer

3. Final bid price and how many bidders.

Your reserve will probably not be met, but you will get follow up emails asking for an on the side sale.

At the least you will get a snapshot of market value. True Lincoln heads go into ebay and browse, so your questions or count will reflect true interest. At the most, the car will sell.

Personally I would not sell. I would come up with funds somewhere else to fund the T or bike. ADD to your collection. You may not drive the Zephyr as much, but that's normal. These are beautiful classics, no matter what CCCA says, they epitomized America's fascination with trains, speed, and Art Deco nuanced styling. You can't replace that with a T, but I understand wanting to add some variety.

My two cents worth.

I second what he said..

very poetic, good points..

i want a T also. They are plentiful and cheaper than Z's.The

Z is gaining value, (thanks to hot rod set).The ww2 gen that collected T's

is shrinking..simple supply and demand

The clubs and there silly rules can play with themselves.until the next generation takes over these clubs, lz will be an outcast, by principle..but I have

wondered for long time why most folks never heard of lz. A Zephyr was every bit

as much a limted prod car as caddy...and with style..I think EBF styling wasnt gaudy enough for those folks..

see next post.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jake, I really want to keep it anyway. I hate to spend the ebay fees for a reserve, etc just to satisfy my curiousity, but I guess maybe I'll have to. I know that it's not reasonable to expect stupid money like the high profile auctions, but I'll have to be sure that the reserve is high enough that I won't resent selling it if someone decides that they have to buy it. It does have a lot going for it, being a 36. Lower production, flat Ford style dash, unmolested, AACA 1st. (Jr.) in 07, etc. Worst case situation: no bids, I'll pay the listing fees and still own a great car!