Gas Smell

Roadster90

Getting a gas smell or fumes at idle after driving a while. No fumes while driving ... only when hot and come to a stop light. It is not the canister as I made a permanent repair on that. Any suggestions please?

Thanks

Thanks Craig and Richard....

Where does the return line run please? I know the line that generally always falls off that goes to the canister in the left front of the engine compartment is some sort of return, but I extended/repaired that line.

I have also done a visual several times of the injectors and top of the engine area, but when the engine is hot I imagine the fuel evaporates almost immediately .... Is there a leak or pressure tester of any kind I could buy for the injectors maybe please?

Thanks guys...

Guest Copper81

Consider checking the rubber couplings on the gas lines from the fuel pump. Over time they will deteriorate and start leaking. I had this kind of problem and had to replace the rubber couplings. Also, as has been suggested already, the fuel lines can rust out and develop a leak especially in the area on top of the fuel tank where dirt and junk can collect.

Nick,

The fuel circuit can be thought of as a continuous loop. It starts in the tank. Gets pumped to the fuel rail. The regulator directs it either to the injectors or back to the tank. The canister is there just to keep stray fumes from entering the atmosphere. The most common point of failure is just in front of the left rear tire. It is there you will see where the supply and return lines connect to the flexible hoses. The flexible hoses then connect to the fuel pump lines. Rust is the enemy here. The solid lines will rust where it connects to flex lines. Dorman makes a handy kit for either line. It is an 18" length of steel line with the proper connector(fitting), and a compression fitting to connect to the other end. It does require rolling around on the ground to do the repair unless you have a lift. It is not a difficult repair. The return line is easier because it will have a minimal amount of fuel in it. The supply line will will drain the the tank when disconnected. Don't do this one with a full tank unless you have enough gas cans handy.

It can drain the tank if the line is lower than the fuel level in the tank by siphoning it out.

Thanks for adding the code to your signature line but you didn't get it all copied. Please add:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Code:</div><div class="ubbcode-body ubbcode-pre" ><pre>

Click Here to list yours Free! ***

</pre></div></div>

to the end of what you now have. Thanks again.