Gasket Removal Problem...Please Reply If You Can...

*Reatta*

<span style="font-weight: bold">I am parting out a 1989 Buick Reatta and having some trouble with getting the gaskets that seal the door to the car off. Can or will anybody reply to this with the procedure? I have the gasket off of the bottom of the car, up both sides to a point. At that point, I can't tell what is holding it to the car along the top and partially down both sides. Also, how do the windshield pillar covers on the inside come off so I can take the headliner down? And will the headliner come down after they are off? The windshield is mint and I'll use it in my 1991, however, the windshield encapsulation part has my window removal guy REALLY SCARED to try and remove it for me. As you probably guessed, I'm good at tearing stuff up, but thought it would be nice to save as much as possible hence, this post.

Thanks in advance for your any help you folks can be! </span>

Oh man....I am facing possibly the same situation. I have bought a new weatherstrip form Jim Finn and went to read R & I instructions in the FSM ..... about had cardiac arrest.

From the instructions, the seat, inner trim panels, inside sill moldings....and good grief >>>>> other "stuff" as well has to be removed....is a nightmare. Errrrrrr.

Good Luck.

Hopefully, some that have patience as a virture, will respond with favorable removal instructions......

Start with the A-pillar covers. They are fastened with push type fasteners. Try to pry about 4 inches from the top. Be careful. Do not be surprised if you break the fastener holders. When those are removed proceed with

visors.

Three screws and one electrical connector. Next up

Dome light.

Remove white lens. Remove star washer holder thingy. remove rest of housing.

Headiner shell.

It is a big piece of fiberglass type stuff covered with fabric.

There are velcro strips holding it in place. Carefully pry it away starting on either side. A flat metal ruler will help you find the velcro. Slide it between the headliner and the roof to locate the velcro.

Now you should see what is holding up the door gaskets.

Heat will loosen most adhesives. I keep a hair dryer in the shop for removing stickers and such. They are cheap at second hand stores.

Reatta send me an email and I will send you a copy of my write-up in the last Reatta newsletter on redoing the headliner.... send to Barney@texas.net

Also if anyone is interested, there are two types of fastners on the "A" pillar. One is a black round type that is available at almost any auto parts store.

The one at the top is a different design and I could not find them at auto parts stores. I purchased some at GM then went to another source that was about half the price.

I have extras if you need some, the down side, shipping eats up the savings.

post-30596-143137986647_thumb.jpg

Just yesterday I took my "A" pillar off. [Hit it with my head,BUT it had been broken before] The top bracket was broken. I took a push in connector similar to the black one in Barney's picture except it had a big flat head. What I did was cut it into a square to fit in what was left of the groove, snapped it in place and it locked in fine.

Desperation the mother of invention

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reatta send me an email and I will send you a copy of my write-up in the last Reatta newsletter on redoing the headliner.... send to Barney@texas.net </div></div>

Barney, If you would like to make the write-up available for public access I would be happy to add it to my web site.