looking for some info on convertibles

Booreatta

I am looking to purchase a 80's convertible and I am looking for information is what was correct, what were options, did they have trunk racks etc. What is a fair price to pay and which of the 2 colors are holding their value best.What year is best. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Hope this helps; I've owned 4 Riv convertibles.

1. Avoid the '83s unless you know the car and think the owner is giving you a good truthful history of the car. These cars were electrical nightmares, and the calipers on the rear disc brakes are very rare and, I think, poorly designed.

2. The '84 and '85s are much rarer but better cars. I had far, far fewer problems with those years. The '83 I owned had the memory seats; it only worked well about 1/4 of the time.

3. Make sure the 'check engine' light works. It should come on when you first turn on the ignition switch and then go out a few seconds after the engine starts. I bought a car where the idiot had just removed the bulb. What a boat load of problems!

4. Speaking of check engine lights, make sure the carburetor works perfectly. The computer-controlled carb is expensive to fix and fewer and fewer shops know how to work on them.

5. All of the Riv convertibles came in two colors; white and autumn metallic (dark red). The white lasts longer, and far more cars came in white. But my recommendation is to buy what you like, not what you think will sell better later on.

6. I never had a V-6; would like to drive one. All of the cars with the 307 V-8s will feel horribly underpowered when compared to nearly any new car. These cars are NOT made for speed.

7. Make sure the A/C works well. I would avoid any car that needs A/C repairs; those little 'pancake' compressors were not very good.

8. Stereos: the factory radios were fair to poor. If you can find one with the Bose system, you might like the sound much better. However, if you intend to install a custom sound system, keep in mind that all of the Bose speakers must be removed if you intend to use a non-Bose system.

9. I don't think any of the cars came with factory trunk racks. If you find a car with one, inspect it carefully to see how it was installed. Were the rails installed by drilling holes in the trunk? Check for evidence of water leaks.

10. Price: $7-8,000 seems to buy very, very good cars. $4-5,000 buys a solid car that usually needs some work. The burgundy interiors will turn almost black when exposed to lots of sun; it is not unusual to see cars with replaced vinyl panels on the tops of the seats. If you can, I would recommend a car that has been garaged a lot.

Good luck.

Joe

hey thanks I have my eyes on one, it is an 84 with less than 60,000 miles. it has a factory cb radio, go figure, who would talk to anybody on as old relic like that. I really appreciate the info, I have had reatta's for a long time, going to keep my Reatta vert and will problably keep my Coupe also.

thanks for your time

I don't think you will find a convertible with a Bose system. The Bose was only installed in coupes. You need a closed car for the Bose. That is what I was told.

I have a Bose system and speakers in a box in my garage. I bought it not knowing about the fact it is only in the coupes.

If I am wrong, let me know and I wil install the system.

stevo

What Stevo says about the Bose system makes sense. I don't think the concert sound system from Delco was available in the convertible. You have to remember that there was no package tray and the rear speakers were "fit" into the rear interior quarter panel. Any system with more that two speakers for the door and two 4"x10" speakers for the rear won't work in a convertible.

Ed

car is still in St. Louis at a dealer, I have to transport to Wichita, dont know how I am going to do that yet. zTime is an issue for the next 30 days. I was thinking of driving it to Flint in July but I just dont know right now. I have a couple of Reattas that I want to take to Flint also, but with the cost of gas I might fly. Oh well life is short.

No I am not a member of the ROA yet. I will be shortly, I do belong to the BCA Reatta Div. Mulvane Marauders car club, and the Falcon Club of America. Time wont allow me to get to Ill this year, I will be going to the Buick Nationals in Flint in July. I hope to have the Riv back in Wichita by then. A buddy of mime has looked at the car but I have not seen it. Only photos. I know I am crazy. I plan to restore the car as necessary and enter it in the 400 judged meet in Colo Next year

Chuck

Been there, done that. I bought a '84 convertible in the winter of '04 and put a lot of TLC into it in order to have it ready for the ROA meet in June of '05. One thing to make sure of is that all the pieces that are unique to the convertible are on the car when you buy it. Don't expect to find parts for those in a local bone yard- they are made of unobtanium. I do know for a fact that the rear window motors can be rebuilt if they don't work now. New ones are very expensive and only available with a core deposit. As you get into it, let me know what you run up against and perhaps I have faced the same hurdle. There are some GM Parts Bin pieces on the car that were used in the conversion - they share the convertible locating pin with the Pontiac Sunbird. Top seals are not available at this time. Bobby Ward at North Yale Auto is working on some things for them now, but I don't think he has anything yet.

Ed