mystery plug

Guest reattafun

Guest reattasnohio

Tonight as I was looking under my 91, I noticed a 2 wire plug close to the starter and out of the same bundle as the starter wires but this is unplugged. I cannot find where or if it is needed. Anyone have an idea?

Chris in Ohio

Guest F14CRAZY

If I'm right, the sensor in question is the oil "level" sensor. The oil pressure sensor is the one that the ECM uses to turn the pump on

Guest reattasnohio

I see the factory fuel plug, it is on top. This is bugging me.Where is the low oil level supposed to be plugged in??

Chris

Guest reattasnohio

Daniel,

Thank you for taking the time to post those pictures. It is exactly the same plug you show in the pictures. I will check under it tomorrow and see if I can find where it properly goes. I am afraid my oil pan does not look the same as yours!!Thank you again

Chris in Ohio

Guest Greg Ross

Chris,

Your '91 engine has the oil level sender plug on the back of the engine and the oil pan is in fact somewhat different from the '88-'90 engines. You also want to be looking at the opposite/ back side of the pan.

Guest reattasnohio

Greg,

I remember when I bought my 91 the owner said it had a new engine because the company that did the oil change somehow started it with no oil and had to put a new motor in it. The motor does not seem to have a place in the oil pan to plug in. I have always noticed when I start it up the oil level low lights up. If I turn it off and restart it stays off. I now know why I guess. Also I can probobly jump them together and it will stay off all the time. MAYBE????

Chris in Ohio

Thank you for all the help guys!!!!!!!

Greg, were you saying that the oil level sender plugs into the engine not the pan? How can that work? BTW, I dropped the pan on my 90 to remove the cam bearing that it spit out. Not a big job. If you have a 91 and want it stock, I'm sure Jim or Manik can provide a pan with the proper oil level fitting, assuming it is in the pan in 91.

Guest reattasnohio

Guys,

That is the strange thing. When I start up it says oil level low.When I turn it off and restart the light stays off. If I make a short trip and restart it will also stay off. I might consider the pan change prviding the motor I have is identical to the 91 stock motor.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: reattasnohio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tonight as I was looking under my 91, I noticed a 2 wire plug close to the starter and out of the same bundle as the starter wires but this is unplugged. I cannot find where or if it is needed. Anyone have an idea?

Chris in Ohio </div></div>

This thread is a little confusing to me. You say the wire is hanging close to the starter. You agree it is the same plug Daniel shows in his photos which plugs into the front side of the oil pan. Greg says the oil level sender on a '91 model is on the back side of the oil pan.

If all of the above is true, how did GM intend for you to route the wire you have hanging in front of the oil pan, to plug it into a sender on the rear of the pan? I would not think they intended for the wire to run under the oil pan to connect to the sender. Maybe someone with a '91 could shed some light on this. I would hold off on buying an oil pan until these inconsistencies are cleared up.

You also might want to do some investigating to be sure you do indeed have a '91 model... Do you have a TEVES brake system or a vacuum booster brake system?

Guest reattasnohio

Ronnie,

It is on the back side of the oil pan and that is where my starter wires run from. I also have an 88 and 89 and they are like the pictures that were posted. I never thought to look under them since I am working under the 91 and that's how this caught my attention. Thanks to all for the help.

Chris

I hate to admit it but I'm still confused.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: reattasnohio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is on the back side of the oil pan and that is where my starter wires run from. </div></div>What are you referring to when you say "it"? The wire hanging down?

Are you saying your starter wires come from the rear of the oil pan to the front of the oil pan where the starter is located? I assume your '91 has the starter located on the side of the engine nearest the radiator?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I also have an 88 and 89 and they are like the pictures that were posted. I never thought to look under them since I am working under the 91 and that's how this caught my attention.</div></div>

I understood you to say your '91 was like the wires shown in the photo.

Sorry about the dumb questions. I have never had the opportunity to look under a '91 model and maybe that is why I don't understand clearly what you are saying.

Guest reattasnohio

Ronnie,

I finally had time to go back and look again and the plug is on the front of the oil pan. The new motor I have does not have the low oil switch in the oil pan. YOu are not confused, just me!!!

Thank you replying. I have been very fortunate for all the people who help out when there is trouble or questions.

Chris

• 1 year later...
Guest AarOn!

Ive noticed on my riviera that there is a green connector that doesnt go anywhere or connect to anything.....it is near the master cylinder/air filter box.....any ideas as to what it might plug into?