Thanks to all that help

tbirdman

I wanted to thank all of you who helped on my winter project for my 32 Packard. I started the end of October and pretty much have finished on time. Barring any unforeseen problems, all that is left to do it detail the car and take it for a test spin. I almost got eveything done that I had planned (plus extra stuff based on advice received)except for the sidemount sidecovers. With the short driving season upon us in Oregon, I'll leave that for next winter.

All of you were a great help as I encountered obstacles and used your help to move past them. Again thanks for the help.

OK it's on the road and seems to be running OK. Here's the before and after pictures of the engine compartment. Besides detailing the engine compartment and a valve job, I rechromed the grill shutters and replaced the windshield wiper motors.

rightbefore.jpg

rightafter.jpg

leftbefore.jpg

leftafter.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve_Mack_CT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great job, Ken. Did you do all that with the engine in the car? How far did you have to go in terms of disassembly to reach that level of detail?

</div></div>

The engine compartment was clean, but not up to my standards. My friends laugh at me because with the 12 Cadillac I bought, I claim that I plan just to drive it. They laugh because they say the Cadillac will soon receive "Ken's touch". I can't stand to see average on my cars smile.gif

The engine was left in the car and the hood removed. Most of the things like the starter, oil filler, distributor, carb, air cleaner. splu wires and holder etc were removed on the car. The manifold was removed to be re-porcelain. The radiator assembly/grill was removed. I didn't touch the generator or the steering gear. The firewall was in very good shape so I didn't touch it. Most bolts were replaced with new bolts.

You remember my experience with the paint cracking on the head when I tightened down the head bolts. I repainted the head while on the car, but was able to mask off the gasket to keep it unpainted. I did try to do the engine bay per the detailing guide PI publishes not that I will be getting it judged in any events that it matters.

It's amazing how much time I spent on the some things that are barely visible now like the valve cover and the splash pans.

Most people wouldn't drive a car this nice, but hey I'm crazy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johan Boltendal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello Ken,

Congratulations , well done.

One question,like to know, why did you re route the fuel pipe?

Johan '32 Cadillac AWP </div></div>

I route the fuel lines as what I thought was correct. Every 32 I have seen seems to have the fuel lines routed differently.

Ken, this is a little off topic but this maybe of interest to you if you don't get Old Cars Weekly (I don't, but I do get them from someone after he finishes with them..) Just saw the March 13th issue. It has a general article on collectible price trends - The 1909-1914 Cadillac was singled out. Open 1909-1914 Cadillacs have risen 22% in recent years, beating most of the collectible market. Sounds like a good horse.