Goodbye to an Old Friend

Bill Stoneberg

A family came and bought my 1988 Electra Estate Wagon today. Its always sad selling a car that has been part of your life.

This wagon had gotten me to work and back for 5 years and to the Nationals in Minnesota last year and the Heartland Regional in St. Louis in 2004.

Not bad for a car found in a junkyard waiting to die.

At least it was sold to a family who needed the 3 sets of seats as opposed to demo derby or a work car.

Guest imported_Thriller

There's always the consolation of it going to a decent home....

I have yet to sell a Buick...call me a hoarder if you will...it's becoming something of a problem. Anyway, the only car I ever sold was a 1974 Javelin AMX...I needed to sell it to fund the purchase of the Wildcat...the guy I sold it to had one in his youth...I was stunned when he was going to paint the plum car white to match his earlier car. I almost thought of it as sacreligious...I got over it. Of course, now that I want to sell a car, there doesn't seem to be significant interest unless I can get it running...sigh.

Sell? What is this "sell" word you speak of? :-) Seriously, I have sold some cars and watched them get ruined and also seen them get the respect they deserve and improved and maintained ( board member Tim M. has my old 63 Riviera and has really brought the car up the level it deserves ) It is always nice to know the car isn't going to the salvage yard.

I am seriously considering selling a car that I have had for 34 years in May. It has been with me since the beginning of my interest in cars. I bought it when I was 22 years old. It isn't for the $. I have moved on in what I like and don't have time anymore to even drive it. It will be a sad day.

I always have sellers regret after selling a Buick that I've had for a while. As you know, they all have different personalities that you get to know and love. I usually try to keep in touch with the buyers, but if they aren't interested then they drop out of site soon. All we can do is hope the new owners will carry the same passion that we have for Buicks. Take lots of pictures before you sell them because they will come up in conversations later on and it's nice to pull out the pictures.

Hey guys, try to look at it as planting a seed that can grow the hobby into another bunch of enthusiasts.

When I finally do sell one of my Buicks, I would like to sell to someone who has no other collector cars. Yes, it would also be nice to sell it locally, but I would feel good just to infect other newcomer with this great hobby.

My 2 cents...