need a headlight silanoied!

Guest kat12173

Guest kat12173

i finnally got my 88 reatta up and running boy is it sweet.. it runs like it's new again. i am in need of a silinoied for mr headlight it is stuck up.. any ideas where i might find one?? i tried buick they said to hit the internet for one.

Guest campolojr

I am sorry were is the part located on the car. Did you test it if so how did you test it. I never heard of this part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kat12173</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> i am in need of a silinoied for mr headlight </div></div>

What is a silinoied? Where does it go for mr headlight? Do you need a mr bellcrank from Barney?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NYBobP.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is a silinoied? Where does it go for mr headlight? Do you need a mr bellcrank from Barney? </div></div>

From what I get out of this conversation, silinoied is something bad that can be found in Vegas, that will make mr headlight stay up manually when he is not able to do it on his own. I have to admit, I am thoroughly confused by what I have read so far I and could be entirely wrong. grin.gif I have never heard of silinoied before but you know what they say... "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas"

Guest jcc3inc

Gentlemen and Ladies,

This person mistakes the "solenoid" for the headlight motor. Perhaps the motor is not operating, OR the crank is bad. One can operate the headlight motor by manually turning the knob on the end of the motor shaft. Rotating the knob should cause the crank arm to make the headlight to raise or lower. If it does, then the problem is in the motor or relay circuit. If turning the knob does NOT result in any crank arm motion, then there is a problem in the gearbox attached to the motor.

Regards,

Jack C.

Hi Kat, the headlight motor could be bad or the cranks could be as others have suggested. If it is the latter then Barney Eaton is the guy who provided a resolution for all of us … go here for that info: http://reatta.net/headlight_repair.html … Mr. Eaton sells the parts.

Since a number of these folks are mechanics they no doubt will have a better approach for the headlight motor than me but I'll use a layperson's approach that worked for me.

First, let's prove whether or not it is the motor ... since the other one works you have a good starting point. Test the ground first, I have had that go bad. Go to section 8A of the Service Manual (if you have one) for reference ... if you do not have one go to the appropriate section of the one on line at this link http://reatta.net/docs/fsm_90/90Reatta-08A08-ElectricalDiagnonsis.pdf. Using any ground, apply ground to the inoperative motor at the designated place. Pull on the light to see if it lifts. If that fails simply bridge all of the wires from the working motor to the non-working motor to see if that works. If through testing you conclude that the motor is indeed bad then there are a number of options to get one but the easiest is through Jim Finn, a helpful gentleman who sells used Reatta parts, at jfinn@cpinternet.com.

John in Sarasota

Guest Drake

Hello, you might be lucky enough to have just a blown fuse.

There are two 15amp fuses for the headlight door motors, located in the relay center (black plastic cover right behind the windshield washer bottle). Remove the driver's side fender brace (1-15mm bolt & 1-13mm bolt). The relay center has a thumb screw on top. Loosen the screw & lift up carefully on the cover. There are only two fuses inside. The rest are equipment relays. Look under the cover for the relay functions. Hope this helps.

Guest campolojr

Ok well my problem is that mine rusted so much that the magnets fell off the housing on the inside so it could be a number of things. I would check it with a multi-meter before taking it apart.

Dear Lord... forgive me... anyway, here goes. blush.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">silinoied is something bad that can be found in Vegas, that will make mr headlight stay up manually when he is not able to do it on his own. </div></div>

I've never heard it referred to as "mr headlight". Not even from my mistress but, if it will not stay up on it's own then you may need some pills that may or may not contain "silinoied"...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> i am in need of a silinoied for mr headlight it is stuck up.. </div></div>

and... if it it stuck up longer than four hours you will need to call you physician. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Guest TommyH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John w/2 Reattas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dear Lord... forgive me... anyway, here goes. blush.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">silinoied is something bad that can be found in Vegas, that will make mr headlight stay up manually when he is not able to do it on his own. </div></div>

I've never heard it referred to as "mr headlight". Not even from my mistress but, if it will not stay up on it's own then you may need some pills that may or may not contain "silinoied"...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> i am in need of a silinoied for mr headlight it is stuck up.. </div></div>

I LOLD SO HARD!!!

and... if it it stuck up longer than four hours you will need to call you physician. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

</div></div>

Guest kat12173

i am sorry i called it the wrong name. i have one headlight that pops up on it,s own and one that does not. i will look into this link and am truely sorry for the confussion. and thank everybody for there help. i am also having trouble with my touch screen it works when it wants to, and my windows go down fine but a VERY SLOWWWWWWWW to go back up. other than those few things I LOVE THIS LITTLE CAR. oh mine is an 88 white reatta with burgandy interior ..

Regarding the windows. You probably need new motors. A number of posters have claimed that the window units are all gunked up. There is a tutorial about that. Try the search part of this forum.

The touch screen, you can start by cleaning the contacts. That may work.

Hello Kat,

Dave's probably right about the window motor. They look like this:

3302286283128080_1.jpg

Saw this on Ebay (did I ever tell you that I hate Ebay?)

Anyway...This one's listed with a buy it now price of $22.80 w/ free shipping. The home mechanic can replace one but it is not an easy task. There are past posts that deal with this topic. Use the search function on this site to get the details.

Regarding the CRT screen:

1902142373608080_1.jpg

This is listed on Ebay with a buy it now price of $150.00. Comes with a 90 day warranty. You pullit salvage yards will charge about $40-$50.00 for one that may or may not be better than the one you already have. They typically won’t take back electrical or electronic items once they leave the yard. Some of us were sending them out for repair to Rex Services in Worth, IL. But a recent post regarding them said that they were no longer accepting them. Performing a search of this site with *CRT* in the keyword box will bring you a wealth if information.

I hope you will forgive me for having some fun with your original post but, sometimes I crack myself up and I like to share. grin.gif

Welcome to the board and ask away!

I was going to stay away from this thread but decided to put in my 2 cents worth.

Open the hood and watch the end of the motor shaft that should have a knob on it for manual operation. If this knob/shaft turns when the headlight are trying to go up or down, your motor if fine and you either need the bellcrank on the output shaft of the motor/gear box or the rollers inside the gear box or both. Get the kit from Barney.

If you need a motor I have good used ones with good or new rollers installed. You will still have to get the bellcrank from Barney.

The CRT/touch screen is the second most troublesome part in the '88-89 Reattas and I do have good tested units available.

As to the slow windows, it could be your window switch is not passing the current correctly because of bad contacts inside the switch or the tracks simply need greasing.

Many times on my several Reattas I have had very slow operations and took off the panel and put some grease on all three track and the windows then went up and down MUCH faster. If you do want to replace the window motors I have motor/regulator assemblies available and in replacing these as a unit, you do not have to get involved with that large high tension spring on the regulator.

I can be reached at jfinn@cpinternet.com if you need any parts.