1939 Packard promotional video

1935Packard

This 1939 Packard promotional video is pretty interesting. It's mostly about the retooling of the Packard plant in the late 1930s, and the new technologies Packard was introducing at the time.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Guest 39Super8

Priceless! especially the 39 & 40 Super 8’s drag racing on the Packard proving grounds.

Thanks for posting the links…

Jim

Sorry, I didn't see the video, but was a bit suprised at the comment about a 39 and 40 Super 8 racing; the classic and well publicized event at the Proving Ground was the 39 Twelve and a 40 Super 8 -- to show the superiority of the new 356 Eight over the 12. Kind of a "the King is dead, long live the new King" thing.

Guest 39Super8

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That part one video is a little depressing, since we have seen the Packard plant setting idle all these years. Makes me wonder if General Motors has that future in store for its assembly plants. frown.gif </div></div>

Wayne,

I’m afraid Flint already felt the affects of GM pulling out. Sad situation.

I am just totally amazed that an area can go from a bustling industrial center to a desolate waste land. I cannot imagine that in just 17 short years from when that film was made that it all came to an end.

Jim

Guest 39Super8

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Jim, wanna drag? </div></div>

West,

Sure! Question is, would you wait around at the finish line for me? smile.gif I have obviously driven a 39, and have driven my friends 40. I have to admit, the 40 356 is a very impressive engine!

Truthfully, I am surprised how close the race was. I have always wondered how a race like that would look. What a treat, getting to see this historic footage.

Jim

Speaking of wide whites does anyone have any pictures of them on Naturally Stained Wooden Artillery wheels?

I have wide whites but my wheels are painted body color. I will someday be stripping mine and staining a natural color.

Guest imported_Speedster

Is this what you are talking about?

This one has varnished wood spokes with red pin-stripes, cream color rims and chrome rings.

post-33516-143137978208_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Speedster

Varnished natural wood looks kinda Orange from a distance. So, if orange will not match or compliment the paint colors then I would not varnish them.

On this car which has Cream and Green paint the varnished spokes looked Great.

Guest imported_Speedster

Be careful because Sometimes paint on the spokes is there for a Reason. Like discolored or damaged wood, which has been filled and covered. Still strong enough but just don't look good enough to varnish.

And replacing spokes is a MAJOR project.

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packin31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What if I used a oak colored stain or what not? </div></div>

As long as it Compliments the paint colors, Artisticly. wink.gif

As an example: To me, on an all Dark colored car (black or maroon) they don't look good. With lighter main body color they look better. With tans, cream or white they look Great.

Guest jjohnb

Thanks for posting the links, they are great!

Does anyone know of someone selling old Packard promotional videos on DVD? The older the better 20s or 30s preferred but 40s would be good also. I have seen some on ebay but I don't know what the quality is like (copies of copies of copies???). Any recomendations?