Ideal restoration candidate, '37 coupe

CBoz

If you're interested in restoring a '37 coupe, this is an ideal restoration candidate:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lincoln-Z...1QQcmdZViewItem

Among other things, it has the original radio with *correct* speaker (hard to find), correct aircleaner, what looks to be the complete coupe seat with chrome, and skirts with trim. Another bonus is the color: it looks to have originally been Royal Maroon. You just don't see that color that often! And it doesn't look like it's been pulled apart, which will make documentation of "how it goes together" a little easier.

I wish this one had been available when I started on mine...

That sure is a great starting point. IMO, that is one of the most beautiful car bodies ever made. The proportion and smooth curves from the roof to the rear bumper are incredible! The guy actually suggests that it would make a good hotrod..... NOOOOOOOOO!

I have been watching that with great interest, it went to 12,000 the first day after starting at 1000. But I sure agree that it is a great starting place as it appears pretty much unmolested.

There was a 40 3 window on there last week. No motor or trans, and in primer, but looked pretty complete also. Was on there one day then disappeared. Found it had sold later for 3500 after the guy stopped the auction. Bet the other three bidders were an unhappy lot.

Tom

It is indeed an ideal restoration candidate, other than the winning bid, which was $25,781.00!! I am always doubious of big Ebay numbers, but there were at least five bidders at the end so I doubt there was a shill involved.

It makes me wonder what my '38 barnfind, half the production number of the '37, is worth which was in much better shape ie. almost no signifigant rust.

Of course I have seen finished cars go for much less than what I thought they would of late.

I guess there are more buyers out there at the introductory price level to jack up the value.

I dont really care that much, I just thought this was an interesting car and deal.

Phil

'38 LZ Coupe

'57 Porsche 356 coupe

WOW!!! Nice price for that one, I figured maybe 15 but then again, my theory on cars has always been, buy high, sell low.

Hey Phil, got a pic of your 57 Porsche coupe? You can send to TMO465 @aol.com if you do,,would like to see it. I had a 53 coupe with a S-90 engine that the previous owner used for drag racing. Followed by a 61 coupe,a 65 coupe and a brand spanking new 67 911. Wish I still had them all.

Tom

Tom

I had a 1962 Super 90 cabriolet for about five years and put 20,000 miles on it during the first 3 years. That Super 90 engine is sweeeeet!! I restored the car myself and showed it at Meadow Brook Concours, then sold it six months later. I restored all the fun right out of it.

post-33613-14313797762_thumb.jpg

West,

Sweet car indeed, very nice restoration. I had an Uncle that had a black 59 convertible that looked almost as nice as yours. The most fun I had with any of mine was the time I took the aircleaner assembly off my 911 and ran it to Columbus on back roads. Those pair of three barrel webers made sweet music with only the velocity stacks sucking air.

Tom

Just my random thoughts on a Saturday night:

Regarding Phil's comments about the price of entry level cars - My impression is that entry level cars and really well-restored cars have the best market performance, but for different reasons. IMHO, the worst thing that one can do from a value perspective is to do a weak restoration job -- it will only represent sunk costs that someone will have to redo.

Few 38s and 39s come up on the market, partly due to their rareness, but I'd say more due to the fact they represent the epitomy of 3-window styling in many people's eyes. Notice, for example, how often the much rarer 40 and 41 3-window coupes show up. To me, the rear fenders just look "too small" on these cars.

I started out looking for a '39, but "settled" on the '37, which has grown on me. Styling wise, here's my thoughts on the '37-39s:

1. The '37 front nose is not quite as streamlined as the '38s or '39s. If you ever see '37s - '39s side by side, the '37 fromt trim and grill seem almost fussy by comparison. On the other hand, it makes the '37 look more more eclectic and vintage.

2. The '37 could *really* have used the extra 3 inches from the cowl forward that the '38s and '39s have. It makes the '37 front end look stubby in comparison.

3. Back-end, I think the '37 bumper with its bend in the middle is the best, but the '38 has the best license plate position (not legal for '37). Why they moved the plate up to the middle of the trunklid in '39 I'll never know, but it really hurts the lines.

4. Tailights are a matter of preference, but I really like the '37 "Buck Rogers" look myself!

I believe the attached picture is one that Phil Knapp took, but it gives a good comparsion. In either case, nice tushes!

post-31207-143137977923_thumb.jpg

That's a great shot of '37 and '39 Zephyr coupes but I can't take credit for it. That photo was shot by Michael Lynch at the Gilmore LZOC meet in Michigan in 2006. I just posted Michaels and Jeff Booths photos in Webshots because of the skimpy coverage in TWOTZ.

Thanks again Mike and Jeff!

Actually, I like the rear view of the '38 coupe best. It's the cleanest, symetrical placement of the license plate - almost like the trunk has been 'decked'. Sheldon Gomberg's photo of his '38 Zephyr at the 'Airflows to Zephyrs' exhibit at the Petersen Museum in Los Angeles in 2004.

post-32768-143137977928_thumb.jpg

Hello!

Yesterday I wrote a loonnng response only to somehow lose it when I previewed it. I am going to try a quick response to see if it goes through.

I was making a couple of points, mostly tonque in cheek, about my observations relating to cars.

First- "looks are everything," well when it comes to cars, boats and maybe even houses!

Second- "Size does matter," I have really lost interest in my '57 Porsche Coupe since discovering Zephyrs. One reason is the looks the other the size.......13' compared to almost 18'!!..... The height is taking some getting used to though. One of the cars I sold to make my deal happen was a modified Porche 914, it was 45" tall to the top of the roof, cool, but a bit uncomfotable when cruising down the highway looking at the lug nuts of an 18 Wheeler!

Third. Please dont be so quick to dismiss idle conversations about custom Zephyrs. Most guys like me are now first introduced to the cars via seeing a modified car. My first was the '37 Coupe done by Dave Jolly and featured on Dream Car Garage. I knew then and there that I had to have one. It was only after learning more about the cars that I developed a true appreciation of the car and just how perfect, well almost, a design it is in its stock state!.

The members of LZOC would be wise to "coaxe" the newer members into this appreciation then the realization that the cars do not need to be chopped and cut up!

Last, I have more to say and will. I will also post some photos of the beauty in the cars and boat that inspire these opinions of mine!

Thanks to all that contribute!

Phil Wimbish

'38 Coupe

'57 Porsche A coupe

'81 928

'78 Egg Harbor 33' Sportfish

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your thoughts about our Lincoln Zephyrs.

When you post your photos please use these guidelines, if possible:

1. Always enter the photo description BEFORE clicking on "BROWSE". That's the only time the description will be displayed.

2. PLEASE try to use .jpg files of around 640x480 resolution. They fit nicely on the screen and are only about 150kb in size. Try to avoid posting bitmap photos. They are usually around 15mb and seemingly take FOREVER to download over a dial-up line! Photos can be resized using the Microsoft Photo Editor, Adobe Photoshop, or other photo management software.

Looking forward to seeing your pics.

post-32768-143137978562_thumb.jpg

Thanks Phil for the comment about my car. I paid 3 grand for that 37 that was stored in a barn. It had no drive trane, no floors, no door sills and rusted out fenders. If this had been a car like the one ebay, I would likely have restored it. I like to see custom modifications that don't look like anything was done and suit the car or improve it's appearance. The zephyr doesn't need anything to improve it's appearance, so I left it stock looking. It is a factory custom. That "Scrape" car and it's plastic clones look like hell.

Thanks Dave Jolly

37 coupe

37convertible sedan

38convertible coupe

37 packard coupe

P.S. How did you find out my name, it wasn't mentioned on Dream Car

To Dave,

Thank you for your comments about the Zephyr coupes they are appreciated! As far as how I knew your name, I'm not possitive but I believe that I deduced that the car that you had listed on some hot rod site for sale section was the same car that was featured on Dream Car Garage. I would have called, but it was way more than I could afford,plus I really wanted a stock car with the original V-12 engine. That was the car that stated my interest in Zephyrs and has changed my interest in cars in general. I must have looked at the photos on the web site a hundred times. In fact there was a shot of the car which gave a 3/4 rear view from an elevated position thatt I would love to have. Do you have any of those photos on file? I'm sure I would not be alone in appreciation of that rear view! One thing I loved about that car was that it appeared mostly stock. The '37 in particular really benefits from a view from somewhat above, like in the '37 Coupe dealer promo shots that Cboz has posted on his site.

I love these cars!

Phil