HERE YA GO ROLF

no more

It's far more respectable than some I've seen. I painted a bicycle that color purple..... in 1970. If all you have is a body shell, it's far better to sub-frame it and at least use the tin in a stock appearing rod. I think the thing that pisses most people off is taking a complete stock and running car and tossing 3/4 of it into the scrap bin in order to build a backyard billet barge, thinking they are the next custom king. They end up with a POS that appeals only to them. After a few years, it ends up as a piece of rebar in a chinese construction project.

Mike, you hit the nail on the head. There is a red-hot thread in the Packard forum on this right now, I kind of dropped out of the discussion as it is one of those things where you have a perspective, and it is usually pretty well set - you are not going to convince the rodder and vice versa. There are 8 pages on this and the whole point is that it is just a shame to see a nice original or older restoration grabbed up for a "resto rod", or Billet job. Once you ruin the original, tasteful build or not doesn't really matter. One less Classic, and they ain't making them anymore. But a shell is another story. Some discussion on this thread on the current popularity of grabbing Zephers but I am sure this group knows all about that trend. Wonder where the above car came from..

I am actually thinking the reverse, I have seen a couple of Connies lately with non-original engine set ups, both under $20K, and wonder if that is a good way to get into one of these with the intent of correcting the drivetrain later on. I like to buy drivers, not heavy projects, and am not looking for a showcar. Any thoughts on this vs. ponying up for a 100% original - if my tracking is right, that adds around 10K to the price for a #3 car? (Still back and forth between a Packard 120 or a Connie, which looks like a bit more $$ but I have always wanted one..)

I guess it's personal preference, but I have a friend with a Packard 115 coupe, it looks great, but can't get out of it's own way and the visibility out of it is horrible. My old 36 sedan runs circles around his Packard performance wise, rides as well or better, and will handle sustained 60MPH far better. (he says his Packard is much happier in the 45-50 range) His Packard is fancier than my plain jane Zephyr, and seems like a far heavier and substantial car. When I bought my Zephyr, I was originally on a quest for a Packard, I'm glad that they guy sold the two Packards he had before I was able to get an appraiser up there to check one out. Since he was there I had him inspect the Zephyr and I'm glad I did. If I were in the market again, between a junior Packard and a Connie, conditions being equal, Connie, hands down.

I LIKE TO RAG ON HOT RODDERS.. BE IT A ZEPHYR ..A PACKARD

OR EVEN A BUICK....BUT...

THIS DAY AND AGE OF CODDINGTONS AND ORANGE COUNTY GREASEBALLS AND INSTANT HOT ROD TV....THIS IS THE RAGE FOR

MUCH OF THE INVESTING PUBLIC.

THE FEWER "GOOD" CARS OR GREATER NUMBER OF RUINED CARS WILL

JUST ADD TO THE GLORY / VALUE OF ALL..

I HOPE..

SUPPLY AND DEMAND FELLAS. SOME FOLKS WILL PAY

THOUSANDS FOR A 36 ZENITH CONSOLE RADIO.. LET ALONE 100000 FOR CAPIZZI'S LINCOLNS OR 1/4 MIL FOR A SCRAPE,

MY HUMBLE 40 WILL NOT COMMAND BIG DOLLARS WITHOUT INVESTING BIG DOLLARS...

IT IS ALL RELATIVE.

My brother in law, irreverant as anyone I have very known has been telling me for years to throw a V-8 in my 41 LC and bolt a ladder rack to the top of it. riighhtttttt.

Anyway, when I went down to Jim Rolls shop to drool on my interior, he was working on another 41 LC Convertible that was restored. Had a V-8 in it all chromed out and actually looked very well done. Had the Lincoln style radiator in it as well. Front end was original but I didnt bother to look under to see what was in it for a rear end. The nice thing about this car was it appeared to be able to go back original without much effort. The car is really well done though and will be super sharp when finished.

Another guy near me also has a 41 LC cabrolet that has been restored however it has a completely different front end with coil overs and a 5.0 Ford V-8, automatic, air condition, tilt wheel, etc etc etc. It looks stock on the outside.

Would I ever consider doing that? Nope, not for me on this car. I have built several street rods so thats out of my system.

Tom