Carbon

Guest campolojr

Guest campolojr

Hello again well my Reatta has been running great although some starts are very rough for about 10 seconds and sometimes it kills within that time and backfires through the throttle body and is ruing the maf and air temp sensors it has covered everything with carbon in the air box. I will post pictures in the morning (sorry I pelt morning wrong JIM shoot me) if needed. It runs like a dream other than that no engine codes the I was thinking maybe tps but I dont have a multi meter I plan on borrowing one and going through the sensors but I have replaced most everything on this motor maybe timing chain. Idk on this PLEASE any ideas?

Seems to be much more prevelant lately, that people are so intent about getting their question out there that they don't take time to proof read what they just typed. That's one pet peeve of mine as well as the persons address and the year of car. Sometimes there is a Reatta guy right near by maybe willing to help but how would you know without it being in their profile?

Others have expressed frustration at no follow up from the person looking for help that the problem they were seeking an answer to was cured.

Just my 2 cents...

Guest campolojr

I think you guys are rude. Sorry if I have bad grammer I wont post again alright? I reread that post three times and I still get mean replys. Why even say anything I help out when I can around here. I may not be perfect as neither are both of you. Jim I hope your vehical fails on you catastrophicly on the freeway. Dave , yes I did want to get the question out there just wanted to see if somebody knew so maybe I could test a few things this morning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: campolojr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you guys are rude. Sorry if I have bad <span style="text-decoration: underline">grammer</span> I wont post again alright? I reread that post three times and I still get mean replys. Why even say anything I help out when I can around here. I may not be perfect as neither are both of you. Jim I hope your <span style="text-decoration: underline">vehical</span> fails on you <span style="text-decoration: underline">catastrophicly</span> on the freeway. Dave , yes I did want to get the question out there just wanted to see if somebody knew so maybe I could test a few things this morning. </div></div>Guys, lets all try to get along. We are all here for the same reason and that is to help each other maintain our cars.

campolojr, I have to agree that it is hard to read posts that are full of mistakes. I believe Jim's intent was to point that out but I do feel his wording was a little too strong. I underlined three spelling mistakes in your last paragraph.

I can not spell very well myself. I use the latest version of the Firefox browser that has a built in spell checker. It underlines the spelling mistakes in red as I type. I recommended you download it and use it. It has helped me tremendously in making my typing more readable. You can also go to the 'My Profile' section and add your vehicle details to your signature line. That way others will not have to ask on every new post what the model year your Reatta is. Also add your name to the signature line, as the moderator of the forum previously requested, so people have an idea who they are talking with.

With all that said, if I was the moderator and I saw what you wrote to Jim (quoted below), I would ban you from this forum. It was entirely uncalled for and you should apologize. That one statement says more about your character than all the bad grammar and spelling ever could.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Jim I hope your vehical fails on you catastrophicly on the freeway.</div></div>

Guest campolojr

I am just sick of it Ronnie I appreciate your kindness though your one of the few who slowly reads my posts and gets what I am saying. Jim what I said was mean . I will not apologize I said what I said and you said what you said. Yes sometimes my posts may be hard to read. Alls you have to say is. "What did you say I didn't get that clearly". I have been trying to please you guys with punctuation and grammar since my first post here. Some of us are more worried about our cars then sitting here for 30 minutes making my post perfect and pretty. Just frustrates me. This is a place to talk about cars. We aren't suppose to criticize on how each other speaks(types).

If any body is using the Google Toolbar, there is already a spell checker built into it. All you need to do is turn it on if it isn't already on by default. Look for the "ABC" icon with the check mark under it. It wont check Grammar though, but it will help to anglicize a person's posts, if they want to use it. ( Anglicize ) Just tryin' to help.

Guest campolojr

Now I feel like a idiot Tinker I have had the Google toolbar for sometime. Gave me a laugh with the linked definition. Its not that I don't not know grammar, punctuation, or spelling. They just don't administer when I want to get things down in conversation. Like when posting on a forum or using AOL instant messenger for example. Like I said I will do my best I didn't realize it made people upset enough to criticize one another.

Guest neroco2

So, getting back to your carbon problem and backfiring through the TB. The spark could be lighting off the charge while the intake valve is still open. This can be either a too early fuel delivery problem and /or too early spark delivery problem, or an internal timing problem as in the timing belt slipped a tooth (but that would tend to happen all the time).

My money would be on a too early fuel/spark when the engine is cold and the computer is confused. I would think a sensor is sending the wrong info to the computer. Now there's always the possibility that your engine temp sensor on start up is telling the main computer the engine is too hot and in turn the computer enrichens the mixture mistakenly far past the normal open loop parameters causing this backfire. The opposite could be true since a lean engine can backfire and

die.

So, I would first look at the sensor readings and using a digital VOM is a wise choice. It's most likeley a simple fix.

These election years can sure get folkes riled up can't they?

Neroco2

Guest campolojr

Ah yeah the carbon problem. Today, I deep cleaned all the throttle body sensors. Then, I cleaned out the throttle body and intake tube. I also cleaned the air charge sensor and air box. It runs better but still the only way I can get it to fire is to press the gas then it starts rough like its running on 3 cylinders for a couple seconds then dies which is where it back fires. Then start it and it runs great. I was thinking about grabbing a fuel filter and oxygen sensor (get a new one while its under warranty) later today just because I have been using chemicals and might have sent the o2 down the whole and cant remember if I had done a fuel filter recently or not. Also I failed to mention its not even a backfire with flames or pop. More like a air brake noise off a tractor trailer but not as loud, followed by a little cloud of black smoke. The backfiring doesnt happen everytime either.

Thanks for taking the initiative, Jim.

Somebody had to say it. It reminds me

of correcting one’s child. Oh, you hurt their

“feelings” and they may want to run away or

“I wont post again alright?” Yet, it appears

the desired effect has mostly taken place….

Regards

matthewlawe

1989 White/Blue

The only thing I see wrong with Jim is that he is a Viking fan...

Lets see... he gives good advice willingly and he stocks parts and sells them for a reasonable price.

He even tried helping, but couldn't understand what was typed.

Yes, I guess he is mean

BTW your spelling,punctuation and grammer improved since you employed a spellchecker program. Good for you

Guest EDBS0

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matthewlawe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for taking the initiative, Jim.

Somebody had to say it. It reminds me

of correcting one’s child. Oh, you hurt their

“feelings” and they may want to run away or

“I wont post again alright?” Yet, it appears

the desired effect has mostly taken place….

Regards

matthewlawe

1989 White/Blue

</div></div>

<span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">

<span style="color: #CC0000">Who died and appointed u dictator? Let me see just how many adjectives that I can use to describe you that can't get past the automatic sensor. But first let me reflect on the saying "To argue with a fool is to but prove there are two."

Given that, let me say matthewlawe; if you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem!

matthewlawe, lay off, you are not the literacy polize!

Take this to the grammmar forum,

this is the <span style="font-size: 26pt">Reatta Forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!</span></span></span></span>

Guest EDBS0

I would think that the oxygen sensor is OK. It is not used by the computer to start the car. It is only used after the coolant has warmed up. The fuel mixture is controlled by a fuel table at start. There can be a lot of gunk on the back side of the throttle butterfly, I hope you got it all off.

I always look to the last thing that was done to a car before the problem started and look there first.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: campolojr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ...still the only way I can get it to fire is to press the gas then it starts rough like its running on 3 cylinders for a couple seconds then dies which is where it back fires... The backfiring doesnt happen everytime either. </div></div>Does it only happen when the engine is completely cold? Does it ever happen if you turn the engine off and immediately restart it?

If it only happens when the car has been sitting for an extended period of time, there could be the possibility of one or more injectors leaking (bad internal seals) and puddling gasoline in the intake manifold (and cylinders if the intake valve happens to be open at the time) and flooding the engine. That would account for you needing to "press the gas" until the engine starts and also account for the rough running. Anytime you have large amounts of gasoline in the intake manifold and sparks involved, the chance of backfiring is likely.

If the problem occurs at other times, check your spark plug wires to be sure they are not improperly connected or are in poor condition (arcing or worn where they touch) that would cause cross firing between cylinders at the wrong time. The plug wires can also cause serious backfiring through the intake.

I wouldn't spend any money on parts until I had some idea what the problem is.

Hope this helps!

Guest campolojr

Well Ronnie it happens every time I try to start. I will check the wires I did it earlier and everything looked good. It has ran like this for some time a year or more. EDBSO, I only cleaned what I could with it on I will take it off and clean it better. I want to take off the intake and clean it also I just don't want to get into too much work with it right now.

Guest EDBS0

You do not have to remove it. Infact I would say not to. Use a shop rag or paper towel wrapped around a screwdriver or something similar and soak that with carb cleaner and use that to clean the back side while you are holding the throttle spring open.

Guest campolojr

Well I did use a screwdriver on a rag last time like you said but I would like to get it off this morning to clean out the Idle air control sensor's port in the throttle body.

Guest EDBS0

I also do that on the car using a spray cleaner. Stuff a rag under the IAC to catch the screws then spray away.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest campolojr

Well, the problem came back today. I took off the throttle body and inspected it. I cleaned out map sensor port and the butterfly opening last time but I couldn't reach the idle air sensor port. I cleaned everything this time and it started without gas and runs like a brand new car. BTW the idle air senor was so gross it probably wouldn't allow the plunger to go up or down. maybe this with solve somebody else's problems out there. Happy Easter!

Guest MauiWowee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: campolojr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cleaned everything this time and it started without gas and runs like a brand new car. </div></div>

BTW Tim..............FI cars don't need a goose of gas to start like carbed cars. That would be a good indicator that something is amiss. Congrats on finding the problem!

Guest craig hewitt

They make some stuff called mass air flow sensor cleaner made by crc seems to me it works quite well.As for as the spelling thing go to a BMW forum.There alot worse. there is no room for criticizing get a woman or another car to take up your time my .02 cents Craig O by hte way HAPPY EASTER to you and you family's

Guest campolojr

I understand that I shouldn't have to I just had to get places. I knew something wasn't right.

I will have to check out that cleaner. Awhile back I bought a spare mass air flow sensor from the junk yard so I decided to try B12 chem tool on a Q-Tip and it cleaned up nicely and ran great I just wanted to see if would ruin the diodes or whatever they are. So far I don't see anything but good. I also used the same method on that air charge sensor and idle air sensor.