Electrical Problem

Guest AlexWeber

Guest AlexWeber

My diagnostic screen on my '89 has been showing me

"Engine control problems detected. Engine controls computer has detected an electrical problem. Service Check Required."

and it kills on idle unless I continuously give it gas.

I'm not too mechanically gifted and I would like to know what I'm getting myself into price-wise before I take it in. Any help?

Guest alex_houston

Codes will tell most.

However, last time I had that my oxygen sensor was bad. Also, at the same time connector C102 had burned off one terminal and my coolant fans had quit working. I repaired these two and that message quit appearing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlexWeber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My diagnostic screen on my '89 has been showing me

"Engine control problems detected. Engine controls computer has detected an electrical problem. Service Check Required."

and it kills on idle unless I continuously give it gas.

I'm not too mechanically gifted and I would like to know what I'm getting myself into price-wise before I take it in. Any help? </div></div>

Hello and welcome the the forum!

Before spending any money let us see if we can help diagnose your problem. Get started by pressing the 'climate' button. Then press and hold the 'off' and 'warm' keys at the same time. Have paper and pencil ready to write down the codes that will appear on the screen one at a time. The codes will be a letter and three digits. Example: B041

Come back here and tell us what codes you have found.

Guest AlexWeber

Thanks for all the help and the welcome, I wasn't expecting to get this many replys so fast. I'll check the codes today and put them up (Assuming my diagnostic screen wants to cooperate).

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AlexWeber

I got the codes today. This is what I got:

B552

C553

B482

E171

B482 is low pressure in the anti-lock breaks, I found that out, but I couldn't find/understand the other 2.

Guest mongeonman

b552 and c553 is caused by a lost of 12 volts,if you disconnected the batterie this is probably the cause,e171 is tha brake switch,the one one the pedal i think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlexWeber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My diagnostic screen on my '89 has been showing me:

"Engine control problems detected. Engine controls computer has detected an electrical problem. Service Check Required." </div></div>

Mine started doing this yesterday afternoon, with the above message flashing off and on every minute or so, but the car ran just fine... confused.gif I did a code check but all the codes had the word History after them... confused.gif Any ideas guys? I just started driving the car again this week after a winter's slumber....

This is the simplest reason for the warning to trip. Watch during the "light show" or simply turn the ignition key to the "run" position without starting the car and see if your "service engine soon" amber warning light that is located in the instrument cluster works. Mine was out and that was the reason my screen warned me. Nothing else was wrong.A very simple repair...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> No codes to light my way..:-(</div></div>Are you going into the diagnostic mode of the CRT to check for codes that are stored or are you just watching for them to appear on the screen?

This warning is often found when the E&C communication is interrupted. Tis is to say the ECU is not communicating with the BCM the radio brain, TCC control box, or even the insterment panel.

I would start by checking for lose connections to each componnent, or in my case put back what ever I had pulled out of the system at that time.

E&C= entertainment and climate

Guest AlexWeber

I went out and got codes again today. This time I actually kind of knew what I was doing thanks to you guys and I got a few codes.

E034 Current

E034 History

B482 History

B552 History

C553 History

I'm not too worried about the BCM's just curious.

I don't know if this means anything but after I pushed yes when it showed "ECM?" And it asked all the questions surrounded by arrows labeled with 3 letters the one labeled "OXY" was blinking.

Guest AlexWeber

I went out and got codes again today. This time I actually kind of knew what I was doing thanks to you guys and I got a few codes.

E034 Current

E034 History

B482 History

B552 History

C553 History

I'm not too worried about the BCM's just curious.

I don't know if this means anything but after I pushed yes when it showed "ECM?" And it asked all the questions surrounded by arrows labeled with 3 letters the one labeled "OXY" was blinking.

E034 is the code for a mass air flow sensor. They are one of the most easiest parts to replace. It is the little black square electrical unit on the hose that goes from your air filter box to the motor.

You may want to clean your intake as well with a product called Seafoam. Just do a search using seafoam and you will find more info that you need [in this case older then 3 weeks and less then 1 year. Otherwise you will get the discussion on Seafoam for transmissions]. This by the way is another very easy thing to do.

Good luck!

E034 is the code for a mass air flow sensor. They are one of the most easiest parts to replace. It is the little black square electrical unit on the hose that goes from your air filter box to the motor.

You may want to clean your intake as well with a product called Seafoam. Just do a search using seafoam and you will find more info that you need [in this case older then 3 weeks and less then 1 year. Otherwise you will get the discussion on Seafoam for transmissions]. This by the way is another very easy thing to do.

Good luck!

Guest AlexWeber

Thanks a lot. I should of known it had something to do with the air filter considering the top of it is slightly ajar. It might be difficult since the bolts on my air filter are rusted and stripped but I'll get it taken care of. Thanks for all your help.

I'm out to go wrestle with old Bloody Murder.

Guest AlexWeber

Thanks a lot. I should of known it had something to do with the air filter considering the top of it is slightly ajar. It might be difficult since the bolts on my air filter are rusted and stripped but I'll get it taken care of. Thanks for all your help.

I'm out to go wrestle with old Bloody Murder.

Guest steveskyhawk

What is all this talk about cleaning the intake? Are you speaking of the intake manifold? That is the cleanest part of any car and should never need to be cleaned. Filtered air is the only thing that goes through there. This Seafoam stuff sounds like snakeoil. I've driven over a million miles and never needed Seafoam. Can somebody explain because I must be thinking of somthing totally different.

My smog man told me that the oil from a K&N air filter can contaminate a MAF coil and make a cleaning necessary. Is this what you guys are using Seafoam for?

Guest steveskyhawk

What is all this talk about cleaning the intake? Are you speaking of the intake manifold? That is the cleanest part of any car and should never need to be cleaned. Filtered air is the only thing that goes through there. This Seafoam stuff sounds like snakeoil. I've driven over a million miles and never needed Seafoam. Can somebody explain because I must be thinking of somthing totally different.

My smog man told me that the oil from a K&N air filter can contaminate a MAF coil and make a cleaning necessary. Is this what you guys are using Seafoam for?

Guest AlexWeber

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D-a-n-i-e-l</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did y clear the code before you started repairing/replacing parts? The code could be old or already fixed. I would write them down and then drive the car after clearing them. This will let you see if they set once again and are still valid. </div></div>

I cleared them before I wrote them down. And the air control makes sense, that's what a lot of people have told me when I describe the problem.

Guest AlexWeber

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D-a-n-i-e-l</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did y clear the code before you started repairing/replacing parts? The code could be old or already fixed. I would write them down and then drive the car after clearing them. This will let you see if they set once again and are still valid. </div></div>

I cleared them before I wrote them down. And the air control makes sense, that's what a lot of people have told me when I describe the problem.