sluggish power windows

Jim NotreDame IN

All that is great but the fact remains that the motors are old. The brushes are dirty and/or worn (not providing as much pressure to the commutator, same concept as a loose ground but internal to the motor). I would just spend the bit of extra money ($30-$50 per side) and time and replace them. The silicone trick will work for like a week, but is a good practice to keep your motor from wearing out as fast as normal.

Much of the problem will be with electrical connections.

Sure lube and the like can slow it down but the electrical connections can get corroded (in most cases you cannot see it) and contaminated. causing a less than perfect connection and adding resistance to the joint.

The passanger side is more prone to the problem than the drivers side (on late models) Example. Starting at the drivers door, there is (1) connectior that goes to the passanger door (2) into the window switch and another set of contacts (3) that exits the window switch to the motor (4) that is 4 possible points of resitance with a +/- contact in each for a total of 8 points of resistance.

To do the job properly you need to unplug and spray each connector with cleaner/lube...plug and unplug a couple of time to clean the surfaces and I'll bet you get a huge improvement in performance.

The 1988-1989 with the window switch on the center console has less connections and by pulling the window switch and cleaning those connectiors you should see at least a 50% inprovement.

Guest Greg Ross

Snip>

"A couple hours of troubleshooting and wiring fixed it as good as new"

No window problem but I did lose the main power feed to the door mounted seat switch. Probably an hour to isolate and repair it.