Headlight Info on 22' Touring

Shawn_P

Hey Everyone!

Well as the cold winter is in full force here in ontario, no better time to work on the old 22' touring. I have a couple of questions about my headlights. I have about 6 pairs of headlights, 2 sets with reflector, trim bezzel, and almost perfect buckets. Now I have a few questions with regards to the reflectors. It appears that they are Brass with a nickel coating on it? is that about right? My question is What is the best way to bring these back to their original state? They are not pitted or anything, just the nickel is really dull and faded in spots. Can i simply try buffing it out? or does it have to be re plated? If so, what do i have to do for the plating company to accept them for plating?

Second question. I have two different setups for the actual light bulb, or at least i think i do. on one of the sets of lights It has a flat head screw that is attached to a spring, which threads on to the light socket itself. The other one has no hole where this setscrew goes into, where there two different setups to hold the headlight bulb? And where can i get some used, or new Light bulb sockets with that screw setup. I have to assume that that screw more or less calibrates the light bulb?

My Third question is, The connectors that go into the bottom of the headlight assembly where it meets fender, i believe its a two piece connector one that unscrews to hold the power wire comming from the fender, and the other piece twists into place on the bottom of the headlight assembly. I have one, I am looking for at least 3 more. Does anyone make aftermarket ones? or Does anyone have 3 that they are willing to part with.

OK my last question. Is the headlight Bezzel painted or Plated?

Sorry for the long lengthy msg, I am just trying to figure it all out.

Thanks guys

Shawn

Well, the only question that I can help you with is on the reflectors. They should be silver plated. Try and just polishing them out first to see where your at with them. If they need to be replated I know of a few places that do it, I just don't remember them off of the top of my head. There is a company out in the Pacific Northwest (I believe), named Uvira, and they "replate" with a polished powdered aluminum coating. Everyone that I know that has had it done loves it.

Sorry I couldn't help with the other questions. On a different note, there is a set of N.O.S. 22-26 DB four cylinder headlight lenses on eBay right now, still in the Dodge Brothers box. Good luck.

Well on a side note my aunt has a plating business, she does nickle, not chrome. But if i can just polish them up id like to go that route. I know they are not big items, but hate to bother too... Also i was looking through Tom Myers Catalog last night and found the Connectors that go on the bottom of the headlight assembly to the fender... Thats one battle, Just wondering now about the Bulb holders...

Thanks guys

Shawn

Hrmmm, so it looks like silver is really the correct way to go, but nickel is a comprable alternative? Interesting to know that the 22' had the adjustable sockets on them. I guess if push came to shove i could attempt to make them? Doesn't seem too compicated? anyone tried that? What about Any other car builders ie fords or GM's would they have used a similar setup for them? I know Fords are Like 10 to 1 times more popular then DB's.... Any thoughts?

Shawn

Guest DodgeKCL

Watch carefully what you are doing on the reflectors. I only use car polish on them and I've only polished them every 5 years or so. I once had a conversation with a guy with a '29 Plymouth who wanted to know how I got my headlight reflectors back to original? I,of course, just said I polished them not thinking that he and his wife would use Brasso or Silvo on them! Next time we met I got an ear full because they went right through the silver to the brass underneath. Needless to say when ever I have this discussion with anybody I quickly add that I mean a LIGHT polishing with your favourite car paint polish and NOT a metal polish like Silvo. I use 'Liquid Glass' for my cars and so that's what I use on the reflectors. It also keeps the shine for a long time because of the silicone content of the polish. I'm also in Ontario,Shawn, I buy my Liquid Glass at the local UAP/NAPA store. Canadian Tire doesn't sell it.

22 should have nickle plated rims. I would NOT use nickel on the reflectors. I have seen chromed DB reflectors that worked fine. (But silver would be best)

Around 1918 they painted the rims during the war, otherwise they have all been nickel as far as I know.

BTW I run the non adjustable headlites on my 22 because I kept having problems with the adjustable ones making good contact. Light kept flickering or going off! So I am lazy and just put the older ones on.

Great! Thanks for the advice, ill try on polishing them this week, I have a napa parts store not that far from me. And ill get the trim rings Off to my Aunt to Plate. Thanks again everyone for your input. If polishing doesnt work, ill have them re silvered

Cheers

Shawn

well i tried polishing them, but with not much luck. The parts that werent badly tarnished came out decent, just the parts that are really bad pretty much stayed the same. With that assumption i believe that the plating just isnt there anymore to polish. It looks more of a brass colour then your typical silver tarnish. There is a product made by Caswell Up here in canada, that its a cream that you put on and by the electrostatic energy created it plates the silver from the cream to the surface. I am going to try that and see if it works. I dont want to spend a lot of money just yet on them. Other expenses to worry about on the car over the little things... your input everyone is greatly appreciated.

Shawn

Shawn, I'm writing to address the headlight reflector discussion and to offer my 2 cents. I suggest reading the following link from Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska. It is a reprint from "The Studebaker Review" and discusses indepth this topic and suggests an alternative.

http://groups.msn.com/AntiqueAutoMushersofAlaska/studebakerreview.msnw

I had my 38 reflectors nickel plated and polished. Then sent them to the UVIRA company (discussed above and in a previous thread) to have them complete their reflectorization process. The results, as the article on the web site suggests, is a 85% reflectivity and the same as present day sealed beams. This UVIRA process glass coats the reflector to seal it so it will never tarnish. I had mine done 2 years ago for $65, after having them nickel plated, and they are as bright as day one. According to William Atwood, owner of UVIRA, they will remain that way always. I'm not trying to sell the process, just passing on my experience. Hope this helps and good luck. Thom

Note that Chrome plated reflectors are still illegal in many state BECAUSE chrome only reflects about 60% of the light. UVIRA is usually cheaper than Silver plating, and can actually be better than oxidized silver.

Remember, if you drive your DB at night, it is YOUR life you are protecting, as well as your passengers.

David D.

Great new info guys! Ill have a look at that site and see if thats the way to go. Like i said my Aunt has a nickel plating business so this route might be drastically cheaper, and if that company can make these reflectors 85% reflective rate without tarnishing.... thats kinda a no brainer...

I appreciate everything here guys!