20 MPG!!!???

Guest steakneggs

Guest steakneggs

I took my Tevesless science project on a 125 mile test drive the other day. Ninety percent was open road, not freeway, but I would say the trans was in O/D eighty percent of the time. I averaged only 20.4 MPG according to the summary screen which I reset at the beginning of the trip. I would like to know what would be considered normal for such a trip. Our old '93 Regal with a 3.8 would occasionally get 30. What does your screen say right now? Steak

My wife and I drove to Nashville last weekend.

I reset the average mileage in the computer before leaving as you did. Filled the car with mid-grade Shell fuel and hit the Interstate. Keep in mind we were driving in the hills of East Tennessee which might different from your area.

It is about 140 miles of Interstate driving each way at about 75 miles per hour. Once we got there we drove slowly around town for about 30 minutes of start and stop driving. Our total miles driven was 290.7.

When we got home the CRT screen was showing 23.9 as the average mpg. My car is an 88 model. It has about 4000 miles on it since I tuned it up. New plugs and wires, all the filters and a good cleaning with Seafoam.

Guest alex_houston

Last summer, I drove to the farm, 160 mi one way mostly highway, 97 degree weather, cheapest gas, running AC, and got 24.5 mpg.

Bob, Is that the coupe you sold me? thats about what I got From NY to Biloxi in the silver 91 coupw will be goin to St Lois and Back this weekend with all new struts, brakes, Paint, wires, plugs filters etc will se how it does on this trip, My original 91 got 30+ on the interstatehopefully it will go up from the 24 mpd.. Hank

Guest Reatta1

My 88 with 97k will get around 23/24 mpg in mixed highway/city driving. On the open road, with not many hills it gets anywhere from 26 to 30 if I keep it under 70 mph. The 'instant average' on computer will show me anywhere from 25 to 35. Highway driving in the mountains drops her back to the mid 20's. When I first got it I had to change a module cause the computer was always considerably lower than figuring it the old fashiond way of miles driven dividded by gas consumed. Something else that can affect your acual mileage is the o2 sensor. Might need replacing

Coming back from Ft. Lauderdale the other night I filled up at Ft. Pierce and was reading 27.4 mpg when I got back to Orlando - 70 mph and headlights up all of the way. If I correct for the oversize tires on my 88 that is about a mpg more. Mixed expressway and local is usually 20-22 these days.

Note: the stock 215x65x15s turns about 812 revs/mile. A 225x60x16 turns 790. This number can be used to calculate speedometer error.

I have noticed in the 89 riviera, the 91 toronado, and now the 88 reatta I have owned that the math of the avg mpg is a very hard game to win. City driving and car idling throw such low mpg numbers into the equasion that it is damn near impossible to get the readings to be accurate. Also according the to the manual these readings are even less acurate when fuel injectors are dirty. That being said, after the first 7000 miles I've owned the car with mostly highway driving, I am just now getting the mpg to read 22.7 with the tickle of a new .1 mpg added weekly due to driving with the cruise set at 68mph. Actual mileage according to miles driven/gallons to full at fill ups are showing about 25-28.5 mpg. Still no prius but, we'll see what I get on my round about Montana tour tommorow. BTW... why did the idiots designing the Reatta put screws right where the wipers drag across them when they turn on or off? Dumb... oh well..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW... why did the idiots designing the Reatta put screws right where the wipers drag across them when they turn on or off? Dumb... oh well.. </div></div>

I hate to tell you but the person responsible was...

Duh, Duh, Duuuhhhhh...

SATAN!

Guest Reatta1

Sounds like something wrong there. That kind of drive should get you a lot better than 20.2 mpg, unless you were running at 90 or better. Here's a pick of the 'instant' readout on my 88.

post-31448-143137968591_thumb.jpg

Guest Dan Cook

My God, they want to stop us from using cell phones while driving. Is that car in the windshield coming straight at you?

Any news on getting the Central Oregon chapter started? I'm not that far away to help although I'm not too popular at the present time.

Dan

Finished the round trip from the Coast to St Louis and back last nigt total 1381.3 miles, going northh with no weather, averaged 28.4 MPG, Return trip ran in rain drizzle, wind in Missouri Still had headwinds as far south as Jackson Miss. averaged 23.78 mpg, so am happy with the results,Speeds were a bit above posted.....Hank

Guest Reatta1

Dan, that car was going the same direction as me. The Central Oregon Chapter effort will probably get a boost in May. The Portland Chapter is planning a cruise over here and we are going to try and recruit a local Buick dealer (who also has a Reatta) to host something. We'll make an effort to involve him in forming a Chapter here.

Ranger, I was headed to North Dakota on that trip and only about 10 miles from the next city and a fuel stop. The 99 mpg instant reading was because we were coasting downhill.

Guest steakneggs

I was cruising the other day around 65 or so and hit the gauge button and noticed that the RPMs were about 2500. Our two Regals would cruise on the freeway at well under 2000, sometimes barely above 1500! I believe that the final drive ratio must be way different on the Reatta. Anyway I researched a gas mileage site and it said that the mileage was the same on all three cars, 17/27. It certainly is nothing to write home about. I filled it up and will check it the old fashioned way. I think that the mileage computer might be a little off. Steak

Guest steveskyhawk

60 MPH on California freeways will get you a new rear bumper and taillight, and possibly mirrors and ventglass. They slow to 70 here depending on how hard it is raining!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DTerry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1650 turns @ 60mph. 30/31 mph at freeway cruise. </div></div>

I believe you find that you are an exception to the rule when it comes to MPG. Most seem to get 20-25 MPG.

I seldom do any city driving. 63 miles each way to work on two lane state and US hwys (4 stop lights and 3 stop signs) averages 26. <span style="font-style: italic">Freeway</span> cruising at 5 over the limit <span style="font-style: italic">regularly</span> returns 30+. Thousands of freeway miles. MPG calculated; not computer - even though computer is very accurate - within 1/2 mile per gallon of calculated. When my son drives it (often) the economy isn't as good. F'rinstance he drove it from Purdue to Ball State last weekend, and the computer said 22 when I got it back. I keep records.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steveskyhawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">60 MPH on California freeways will get you a new rear bumper and taillight, and possibly mirrors and ventglass. They slow to 70 here depending on how hard it is raining! </div></div>

Been there. Lived in California twice. Dallas, Houston, Chicago just the same. 'Course where I live now the nearest freeway is 25 miles away.

Guest steakneggs

Filled it up today and checked the mileage. 21.7 (75% highway). Sucks. Got on 40 mile section of level freeway and reset avg. Could barely eek out 23 MPG. Sucks. Could not get RPMs below 2K at freeway speed like DTerry. Trying to figure out how many days of the week I can use this pig with gas at $3.15 a gallon. Steak

Guest Squire Tom

i read that for a little more performance , they changed the final drive gear in 91 . is it possible to replace this gear with a higher speed gear . i believe the 91 has electonic tranny , is it the same tranny as full size lesabre , 88 etc.?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tom_wasil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i read that for a little more performance , they changed the final drive gear in 91 . is it possible to replace this gear with a higher speed gear . i believe the 91 has electonic tranny , is it the same tranny as full size lesabre , 88 etc.? </div></div>

I know this question was for Ranger but I wanted to point out that it would be much easier to change the wheels and tires to a larger diameter that would yield the same result as changing to a higher gear ratio.