Help! How do you energize an "old" club?

First, a little background. I have been an AACA member, both national and regional, for about 3 years. Our region covers an urban/rural area with a 50 mile radius. The region is about 30 years old and we have about 45 member households. I am 35 years old and the average age of our members is 55-60.<BR>Now, for the problem. I was elected President of the region this year and was enthused by club members positive comments and actions early on. But, within a couple of months it became apparent that my region has a serious case of the "olds". Apathy and negativity are rampant. Basically, all I can get the membership to participate in is small touring events. Now, granted, touring is a large part of the AACA, but I feel a region is responsible for so much more. Our region's membership does not attend local events as a group and are not well known or respected in our area. We have only sponsored two shows in the last 10 years, both of which I organized. As a group, we don't activly support youth programs or have a political program, even though we are located in a major city of our state. Our membership has been stagnant for years. Basically, all we do is a one day tour every two or three months and conduct monthly meetings. As a result, I decided to resign as president of my local region, but have not resigned my membership. I regret having to take such a drastic measure, but I felt that it was the only was to provide a true wake-up call to the membership of our region before it's to late.<BR>Now for the tough question. How do we revive this region so that it may fulfill it's obligation to support the collector hobby in ways that reflect positivly on the AACA?<P>------------------<BR>TMH

TMH ~~ You are facing the same problem as many regions. AGE!! With age comes indifference and complacency, not always but often. I have been on both sides of your problem. I was once a 36 year old Region president who wanted the Region to be active, and I succeeded not because of any spectacular acts on my part, but probably because most of the Region members were near my age and ALIVE.<P>Now 31 years later I am 67 and a member of the "I don't want to be bothered set." I have remained very active nationally, but the region activities have fallen by the wayside for me and many others of my generation. The average age in my Regioin is about the same as mine, like 31 years ago. That means we are OLD. And younger people are not inclined to join up with a group of old pharts. <P>Therein lies the problem. How do you get new blood? I don't know.<P>Not to be unkind, but resigning to make a point or uphold a principle is an honorable act. Unfortunately to almost everyone other than yourself, it means nothing. Been there and done that. Nobody cares. Sorry ~~ HV<p>[This message has been edited by hvscotyard (edited 06-24-2000).]

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

TMH & AACA Member, Been there done that! I could have written the same post, only difference was that I was 31 and I was Pres of a local pre WWII club. Yes the members were almost all twice my age and all the old things were run until we hated to do them. We were nearly broke and I was chair of 70% of everything. I became pres because it was either I did it or a club founder would have been pres for the 11th year out of 37. What worked for me and the younger guys (40's & 50's) was to get some new blood into the club and multi club events. <BR>I worked with several diehards and we kept inviting folks to our meetings w/o any club ties and folks from nearby clubs. I brought in guest speakers and had some guys do slide shows from meets of 20, 30 & 40 years ago. This gave the old timers something to look foward to at the meetings and kept the interest of the new people. We also started to do more 1 day tours with other clubs. These clubs had run tours that we never did, they came to our tours that they never did before. We supported their $$ makers and they ours. <BR>We have 4 AACA regions and several old car clubs (not to mention the dozens of one makes, street rods, cruisers, etc.) on Long Island and we have increased crossover membership. We learned that not every club needs to run an event every month. We have an old car club council that meets in February and we put together a master list to avoid conflicts and this works better than it has in the last 30 years. <BR>Also, a big factor was that I was the newsletter editor for 4 months before and two years after I was president. This gave me the ability to promote events and preach and nag and kiss butt and list names of everyone who did even the smallest thing. People love to see themselves in print. I spent hours on the phone with members. I went to other clubs and promoted my clubs events. I rejected all the negative word of mouth from other people. (That's an old man club, they never do anything, why are you wasting your time, etc.) I spent every few moment at a show glad handing and making everyone "love" the club. I enlisted the help of the other presidents (I am in 3 regions and the local club).<BR>It was not easy, I fell on my face a few times, I wanted to give up, but people kept supporting me. The club grew and is in good shape today. As for my region it needs the same thing, someday I will do it. SalG smile.gifcool.gifgrin.gif<p>[This message has been edited by SalG (edited 06-24-2000).]

TMH - I am a 45 year old president of the East TN Region which is 43 years old. We have 86 member families. I guess you could say that we are a "touring" club, since we tour almost every month except Nov, Dec & Feb - usually. We always include a meal together as a part of any activity we do. Last Sunday, we had an outing at the lake home of one of our members - looking around, at least a third of the folks there were new to the club in the past 2-3 years. I am in the real estate business, and I must constantly prospect - for new agents and for new listings - and I think the region is no different. Those new folks I mentioned that were at the meeting - I know where they all came from - some were brought in by other members, some came from the region web site and some from direct mail invitation. On our recent overnight trip, I would say that better than half the participants were new to the club over the past five years. I myself have only been in the region since 1996, although I joined AACA in 1985. <P>After the Oak Ridge National meet in 1998, we invited show participants who lived within a 50 mile radius to come to a special region get-together as our "special guests" We invited about 15 or so and 8 or 9 came - and six signed up immediately. We got a seventh later on. At the recent meet in Nashville, there were several folks who live in our area showing their cars - I plan to invite them in the near future.<P>My solution is to go out and recruit - you may go on a few tours by yourself or with only a few cars - but if everyone has fun - it will continue to grow - and some of the other members may get their interest re-kindled. Get the AACA membership roster(available from National), prospect your area and send out a few invites - response may not be overwhelming, but it adds up over time. <P>

On the subject, but sort of not. When I moved here, we went to the local AACA regional meeting and were totaly turned off. They spent the whole night arguing and bickering about this and that. We have not been back.You need to look at what is going on in the meetings as well as what events etc are happening. Can lose prospective new members in a hurry just by way meetings are run. As a sidenote, that what happened to the Fathers day swap meet up there in Cheyenne HV

HV that what happened to the fathers day swap meet up there? <BR>When we moved to this area we went to an AACA meeting for the local chapter and they spent the whole night arguing and bickering about this n that. We were totaly turned off and have not been back. You need to look at what goes on in meetings as well as what events etc are planned. Its real easy to lose a prospective member by what goes on in the meetings. Can also make it hard to get participation if no one is going to cooperate with each other

I first must apoologize to the honorable DFrs here. Although I have been a Senior DF member for quite a while, I feel I must not reveal my identity both for myself and ultimately to avoid embarrasment of my region which could be identified by knowing my name. Sad .. isn't it?<P>TMH<BR>I swear as I was reading your story I thought I was reading my own. Our club is almost 30 years old. I am 38 years old and have been in the club for 9 years. This year is my second term of president. Before that, I held Activities Chairmen for 3 years (2 of those soley on my own), was VP for two years and have held numerous chairmanships.<BR>The average age of our members is 40 to 60 and we have about 70 members. The worst part is getting people to do anything helpful. They will all come for the freebies, but getting someone to chair an event or comittee.. even to participate on a committee is increasingly more difficult. Many times I am on the phone making futile phone calls for help and making announcements at meetings and in the newsletter. Sometimes, only the final fact of "If there is no chairmen, we will not be able to have this event" finally gets someone to grudnely volunteer. Most of our events are the same ones that have been doing for years and years. There is little interest in anything new, likely because it would take work. The usual events are easier to chair because they have become cookie cutter to plan.<BR>We do have an annual show, but if it wasnt for the relentless work of the same couple that have chaired it for the past 5 or so years. it would have gone by the wayside years ago.<BR>Age isnt so much the factor. There are a lot of club members not ready for a rest home. But a big excuse of members is "If no one else is going to work, then I'm not going to be the only one" Another excuse often heard is "I have done my part and now Im taking a break" Sadly that might have been in 1975 and they are still taking a break.<BR>I too went into the Presidency in the first year thinking "I CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE and get the club back to being active. Antique cars and the AACA is a BIG part of my social life. I worked hard as president on encouraging participation, membership, and planning new activities for the club. By the time my second term as president started I too realized it was a pipe dream, and that all my days and nights of work to rejuvenate the club was for naught. Only the same very small percentage of members give the extra effort needed to pitch in. I also considered resigning during this presidency from pure frustration, but my wife talked me to hold out to the end.<BR>I could go on and on but I'll save you the boredom. <BR>The last thing Id like to say though is:<BR>I tried.

Thank you all for your responses. I am glad to see there is at lease some hope. I still believe the real problem is the lack of communication within my region's current membership. One statement made is definately true, most everyone in my region is "taking a break" or has been PO'ed by something that happened 5 or 10 years ago. But, the problem is that they won't stand up and tell the club about why they stopped doing anything. They usually end up blaming the inactivity of the club on everyone else. That's why I resigned as President of the region. To get each member thinking about what they were doing and start a dialog among the membership as a whole, even though I realize some of it will be negative comments about my actions. Personally, I think regional committee membership should be manditory and written into our region's bylaws. I guess I would rather have a club of 10 active people than 100 inactive people. Basically, I feel if you just want to socialize, join a social club. If you join a car club, do car stuff...shows, tours, workshops, parades, cruise-in's, youth/school seminars, automotive legislation lobbying, etc. As a member of a group, realize that you may not like everything the others want, but you are obligated to support ALL activities of the group that you possibly can. Also, I think getting involved with other clubs, both AACA and non-AACA, is essential in keeping interest alive in old and new members alike. It also keeps the activities work load spread out a little more.<BR>Thanks again for the comments.

TMH<P>All you said is correct and hit the nail on the head. You seem to know the problems and the potential cures. I beleive you should reconsider taking the presidency again in the future because I believe you are the leadership that your region needs! I hope that your region realizes the asset it has and will begin to support you. Good luck with your future in the region and the future of your region!

The best car club I'm in doesn't even HAVE meetings. We don't have officers or committees either. Everyone is on an e-mail mailing list and we communicate through that. When we want an event, someone (doesn't matter who) organizes it and people show up. We skip right on over all the endless bickering over minutae and the tedious, neverending meetings "motion" "seconded" "passed" "will the secretary please note that the motion was made by Earl and seconded by Jim and passed, and the treasurer may now excuse himself to the men's room...." okay that's a small exaggeration but car club meetings do tend to drone on. We've found that by skipping the formalities we're having more fun. I guess that wouldn't work too well in something like the AACA which has its own bureaucracy and everything, but it might be something to think about, perhaps there's a way to incorporate some of our ideas.<P>Cheers,<BR>Bry

First let me explain that hvscotyard [still my e-mail adderss] got lost while I was screwing around with the computer, so he has re-emerged as the guy behind the e-mail name, since most of you probably knew who it was all along anyway. smile.gifsmile.gif<P>Bry: I think you spend too much time looking into your magic communication device!<BR>If you have a club composed solely of internet devotees you effectively eliminate anyone who is NOT on the internet. Hard as it may be for some of you computer junkies to believe, not everyone IS on the internet or even wants to be. I resisted for years because I thought I didn't want to be bothered. Well now I'm here and it has been fun, but it hasn't changed my life and in fact I'm getting a little fed up with the whole thing lately.<P>AACA bureaucracy has nothing to do with it and if you had been around the club a little longer you might realize that fact. I'm getting a little tired of people new to the club or not even members of the club coming on here and telling us what we have been doing wrong for 65 years and how they know exactly what we should do to change it. Why don't you just form a national computer car club? I can tell you how to do everything relating to a car show including the show itself without ever leaving the keyboard. If you think I'm kidding, ask ronbarn.<P>However, I do agree that many Region meetings are both dull and contentous, but the computer ain't the answer. ~~ HV<p>[This message has been edited by Howard Scotland (edited 06-25-2000).]

A friend of mine was invited to a meeting, when they found his mint looking chevy was actually a streetrod in disquise it really livened things up!<P>------------------<BR>Mike<BR><A HREF="http://1964cadillac.carsouth.com" TARGET=_blank>1964 Cadillac & Cars from the 40`s to 70`s<P>FREE! Cadillac parts posting</A>

Oh for Pete's sake, I wasn't referring to the AACA exclusively. I'm a member in a half dozen car clubs and in the ones that have business meetings, they're all pretty much the same. If the club wants to have a car show at a local eatery, do we really need to discuss it for 15 minutes at each meeting? Why doesn't someone just DO it?? The point I was TRYING to make and evidently didn't make well enough, was that on my internet-based clubs with no business meetings and no officers or committees, things get DONE. Since the topic of this thread was how to rejuvinate ailing clubs, I offered this alternative idea. If the topic had been, how do we keep doing exactly what we've been doing for 60 years, I would have kept quiet, because you're pretty good at that already.<P>I wasn't blaming the bureaucracy for the problem posed by the original poster. I was observing that its existence meant that you could not use my example in its entirety. I really don't think that that portion of my original post was unclear. Must you always be looking for a fight?<P>Bry

Forgot to add, we already do have a nationwide internet-based car club and it hosts a couple major events a year. It also has regional chapters that do their own thing. The membership is predominantly people in their 20s and 30s... but that's another hot thread.<P>Bry

No Bry, I'm not looking for a fight. I'm just disappointed in you. For a while there I thought you had decided not to regale us with your pronouncements on subjects about which you have little or no knowledge. Then you got into the gasahol thing. Your lack of knowledge on the subject was clearly demonstrated when you told me that you never heard of ethanol being sold is gasahol and cited as your source of knowledge on the subject the fact that you had once worked in a gas station.<P>My daughter works at a nuclear power plant. Does that make her a nuclear scientist?<P>We all know that there are problems with some of our Regions. Unfortunately, AACA is what in the business world would be classed as a "mature industry" Throwing out our history and replacing it with a computer is not the answer.<P>Allow me to paraphrase something said by someone far smarter than I. "When a subject is being discussed about which you know nothing, and you say nothing, some people might think you are just stupid. Open your mouth and you remove all doubt" smile.gif HV<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Howard Scotland (edited 06-26-2000).]

Have a nice day Bry, and enjoy your show. There is room for all of us in this great hobby. Just not all at the same place. smile.gif<P>Howard

And, ladies and gentlemen, here you have the perfect result, a thoroughly energized "old" club. rolleyes.gif <P>I've been in two "old" antique car organizations recently which were "energized" to levels that involved attorneys and emergency hospitalizations (that, very seriously, was NOT an exaggeration)! shocked.gifshocked.gif The sad part of it all is, in the life cycle of these kinds of groups, such things a probably necessary. <P>At their core, car clubs generally begin as a group of friends, and expand into bureaucracy of common interests. Unfortunately the momentum of this transition is sometimes left unchecked and the bureaucracy instead of the common interest becomes the focus of the club. My experience has been that the deeper into these bureaucracies you go, often the less awareness there is of this transition.<P>When a club begins to be lethargic and it appears new blood is needed, it's quite likely that this unfortunate stage of development has been achieved. Rick's solution of recruitment is, I believe, the only real remedy. New members challanging the system with fresh, even scary ideas will result in the kind of friction necessary to get a club moving again. <P>It's not an easy road, and the threat it poses to the powers that be will produce results that aren't pretty and could destroy the club (in which case it wasn't what it was supposed to be anymore anyway). Many an organization was effectively dissolved by it's own leadership rather than submit to listening to the ravings of someone who thought differently.<P>No matter. Dead wood that isn't worth saving is always repaced by new growth, one way or another. <P>Oh yeah, by the way, I'm an ex-AACA member with nothing interesting or worthwhile to add.

OK Dave, You're an ex AACA member. What made you leave? What did AACA do that displeased you? Did things not go your way within your Region? Did you not achieve the awards you thought you deserved? Were you denied an opportunity to achieve higher office? Or did you just plain lose interest in AACA as have so many thousands of others? No organization can make everybody happy, but if one is dissatisfied enough to drop his membership, then perhaps he should just go away and not hang around and throw rocks. confused.gif

You read too much into my posts. I never said there was no such thing as ethanol in gasohol, I said I'd never seen it. And I haven't. It can't be had around here and hasn't been for at least a decade.<P>I didn't say to get rid of your current structure and replace it with something else. I offered that maybe if you have a more active forum, you'll have more active members. I still believe that to be the case and I thought it was an appropriate response to this thread since it is discussing how to rejuvinate dying regions.<P>Whatever, I have a car to prep for a different car club's activity so I'll see ya.<P>Bry

This thread reminds me of the situation that existed in the mid 60s when I joined AACA. Seems that some of the young members in their thirties had "used" cars, vintage 1939 - 1940. This upset some of the "old guard" who had vehicles from the teens and twenties. These younger members infused new life into the organization and membership in the local region took off. They went on to leadership roles in the National AACA. Now the surviving youngsters of that period are the oldsters of today. I'm encouraged that our current AACA President and Board are open to new ideas; yet have a sense of the heritage of this great organization. We can't, and don't intend, to be all things to all people; but we can be the best in our corner of the "love affair" with the automobile.<P>jnp

I left the AACA when my kids were born and I couldn't afford to keep (what was then) my only true antique. I haven't rejoined because, as far as I know, there's very little touring done by the Regions in my area, and I'm very busy with my memberships in 3 marque clubs (in one of which I'm Regional Co-chair). <P>If you're really a fan of what John just said, then I wouldn't go around characterizing those new ideas you're so open to as "throwing rocks". <BR><p>[This message has been edited by Dave@Moon (edited 06-27-2000).]

Hi All- <BR> I've stayed quiet for months just reading and absorbing - avoiding input so as to remain emotionally unattached to a subject. But Damn! Howard Scotland You should be ashamed. What started as a cry from help from a frustrated region president has become for the most part the " let's sit here and watch Howard be an ASS" show. I don't know what uyour problem with Bry in Va is but to unload on him for what seemed a positive and helpful entry and you have fried him. To show that the AACA isn't full of old farts that feel they've already done their part and don't resort to petty bickering -you wrote this series of entries. <BR> You have effectively turned a positive series of notes that WERE leading towards an answers, into a Free for all S**t-Slinging. Shame, shame, shame- Behavior like this will continue to run off prospective members both nationally and locally. Personal Grudges should be carried pout through personal E-mail- not on the DF- I don't care who you don't like or agree with- the DF is here to help AACA and it's members, both regionally and nationally. Let's be grown ups please!!<BR>

Dave ~~ I based my statement on your post of 6-26-2000 @ 6:29 PM. <P>Sorry, but I have a problem with AOL cutting me off in mid post.<P>In no way was I inferring that all of the input on this thread was "throwing rocks". <BR>I was saying that YOU, as an non member, were throwing rocks. In your own words you had "nothing interesting or worthwhile to add" so that is why your comments appeared, to me at least, as rock throwing.<BR>[This message has been edited by Howard Scotland (edited 06-28-2000).]<p>[This message has been edited by Howard Scotland (edited 06-28-2000).]

sambarn, whoever you might be, do you want us to judge your intelligence by your vocabulary. You have a nice command of vulgarities. So do I, but at least I have the decency to refrain from using them in the public forum. Calling me a JERK would have conveyed the same thought as the term you used.<P>I do not hesitate to speak in my own name. You on the other hand are a coward who hides behind a pseudonym and slings your daily ration of dung.<P>Bry and I have disagreed for sometime, but it is nothing personal and he doesn't need you to defend him.. He is quite able to hold his own in our give and takes. We have often exchanged e-mail on subjects from the forum about which we disagree. Butt out!.<P>There have been many who have come before you who have had ideas for improving the club. Some were excellent and have been in place for years and others hairbrained. The same condition exists today. Some ideas being put forth need to be implemented and others discarded. Should we only praise the good ones and keep quiet on the others. That is a symptom of our "feel good" society wherein we don't say anything which might make someone feel they are less than wonderful.<P>And finally, speaking of grown ups, maybe one day you will become one. Brush up on your command of the English language.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Howard Scotland (edited 06-28-2000).]

Guest rcirilli

Well THOLLOW5, I just got in from a two day trip and I think my ears are burning, seems like it should be my eyes but this thread really took a swing. Back on your original subject. I've seen three regions go through this and they do survive. AACA has so much history and flexibility that change comes about pretty easy when you consider everything. I have been region Presidents in most of the regions I've been in at least once. I would not have resigned even if it gets fustrating. Just keep pluging and try to get people that do aggree with your desires to do things and bring in guest and hopefully new members that also love any cars. A new explosion of interest will come around. One club gave up and while they have a show and some tours it has died because they aren't open to new members or their interest. AACA is a very proven organization for the regions. that streng plus faith and a lot of patience will prevail. Good luck and keep trying. <p>[This message has been edited by rcirilli (edited 06-28-2000).]

You know, a sarcasm smily might help some in their interpretations here.<P>p.s. I may not be an AACA member, but even I know who sambarn is! rolleyes.gif<P>[This message has been edited by Dave@Moon (edited 06-28-2000).]<p>[This message has been edited by Dave@Moon (edited 06-28-2000).]

Something else I've tried to reinvigorate clubs is to try to initiate a new outing or project, something unlike anything the club's been doing lately. This week I took my BCA Chapter on a short summer tour from a drive-in restraunt to a drive-in movie. As you would expet, attendance was sparse for the new event. But, to coin a phrase, a good time was had by all. It was one of the most enjoyable car outings any of us had ever been on. I'm sure when we do this next year most or all of the club will attend.<P>Sometimes just having something different to do with the same people is enough to get them more involved. smile.gif

Our region used to have an occasional meeting at a popular cruise night. That way, in addition to performing the normal meeting "business," we were also able to enjoy viewing lots of cool old cars & hot rods. Granted, we didn't get as much "done" as at a normal meeting room-type meeting, but it was a fun little diversion for a change. <P>Steve Mierz<BR>Stony Creek, CT

And here are a couple more thoughts, some of these have worked extremely well here in the Tidewater Region.<P>1. Don't berate those who don't/can't participate. There are often good reasons (Time, $$, etc). Nurture them, let them enjoy the finest newsletter their membership bucks can buy and theyll remain faithful, enjoying at their own pace. Someday, they may even rise into leadership positions - if you've kept them a friend along the way.<P>2. Concentrate on those who have fun - I guess this is the reverse side of the above coin. If you have an event and six people come out evaluate it on the basis of those who did participate - did they have a good time? Report it that way and those who didn't come out may just decide they'd like to try it next time around. <P>3. Yes by all means - short on business- long on fun. We have our Region Board of Directors - they are empowered to run the club and conduct the affairs of the organization. They do it well, in a professional manner. Like any professionally run organization, it's important to report what was decided but not often germane to discuss how it was decided. That means you don't necessiarily have to spend a full meeting conducting business and soliciting opinions. Many members who have no interest in leading the club would prefer to surely let someone else do it. That means also that your club newsletter need not consist of 90% coverage on who motioned, seconded or threw their ice cream at who!!! <P>4. Activities - plan the years schedule early and mix it up. Try some new things, retire some old, or even bring back something you did five years ago. Variety is the spice of life and varied activities (in addition to a few traditional) will help keep interest going. Try to do something each month whether it's a dinner meeting like we have or just a get-together at a local eatery (Old car people love to eat!) Try some fun things but have a program at each meeting. Slide shows, video tapes, guest speakers (check out the AACA Speaker's Bureau) or even borrow the judging program from National. Try a hobby night - one month have the ladies bring in their crafts or collections, next month have the men do it. Have a silent auction to help raise money for a project. And, there are many more ideas out there Im sure.<P>5. Volunteers - don't ever try to ask anyone to be in charge of something (unless they are ex military). Its much better to ask volunteers if they would like to work with someone. Look around your clubs and you'll probably notice prople with things in common getting together in little clusters. Make use of that and allow people to work with those they best get along with. Team work is always more fun and gets more accomplished. Everyting should be geared towards building teams (there are standard textbooks on the subject that any dedicated Region/Chapter president should probably thumb thru to get some neat ideas). Have an undersudy for everything. Its like having the vice president standing ready to move into position when its their turn. It means you'll have two people doing most things and end up with seasoned veterans moving up to the plate when it's their turn.<P>6. I guess I got close to this on my item #1 - Newsletter! You should have the best darned newsletter your club can buy. Put it together by a team if you wish (gads, we could spend a lot of time on this subject, but there is a separate forum for that.) Keep a couple of important things in mind. The N/L is the heartbeat & life-blood of the organization. It should report, promote, educate, facilitate and inspire. It should ALWAYS be positive. Hearing the editor or president complain about why nobody shows up defeats the purpose of having a newsletter. It's designed to bind the club together. In my previous role as Vice President of Publications (and a long time prior to that) I've observed that great clubs have great newsletters. <P>And - remember always that this is just a hobby. We join clubs to be wanted/needed and to associate with people of similar interests for the social or professional associations the group can provide. We join for many other reasons too but bottom line is we get enough stress and politics during the day at work. Our hobby (club) provides a pleasant diversion. Thus, the focus should be on fun always. <P>Terry

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Hi all, I have been quiet on this topic for a few days now. I see people's true spirit coming out. I see Bry running off again. Bry should become a member if he is on here telling us what to do. I see Dave with no email contact. Is he affraid to let someone contact him? I see Howard defending something he has put a great deal of time, $$ and effort in. I do not see Howard needing to apologize for anything. He is one of the people who has made this club what it is today. This club has done well under the guidance of Howard, Ron, and Terry. I know Terry the best and I can say he is one of the reasons I have become more active nationally in recent years and why I would consider becoming even more active. I say this in my name and with my name known.<BR>Salvatore J. Grenci<BR>Life Member 339830<BR>Member of the following regions<BR>Vanderbilt Cup <BR>F R Porter <BR>Greater New York<P><BR>[This message has been edited by SalG (edited 07-02-2000).]<p>[This message has been edited by SalG (edited 07-02-2000).]

Sal, what I see is a lot of people interpreting comments as pertaining to the AACA and to specific individuals w/o fully understanding the comments or noticing that those comments were <I> never </I> intended to refer to either. I can't speak for Bry's postings or anyone else's, but the experiences I was relating probably didn't involve a single AACA member! <P>If there were never any suspects in the first place, why is everyone (apparantly) feeling so guilty? I've noticed that the first sign that's something's really wrong with an organization is when innocuous statements are taken as out of context and interpreted as an attack. Frankly, if the AACA were anything like what Sal and Howard seem to believe this thread is saying then there would be no way a forum like this would be tolerated in the first place. And yes, even non-members can be smart enough to figure that out on their own.<P>Lighten up and listen to what's being said and stop looking between the lines for enemies. It's very apparant from my readings here that there are organizations out there in trouble using this thread to look for help. Some of them may or may not be AACA Regions, so what! I don't know, I don't want to know, and I don't care who does know. If a car club, any car club, can be saved or at least sustained through a bad time based on the collected experience available here <I> it shouldn't be up to anyone to pass judgement on the advice generated! </I> <P>And if you'd ever had to visit one of your best friends in the hospital because of heart problems related to exactly this kind of unnecessary friction, you'd keep your email address to yourself as well.

'scuse me while I step around and through all these land mines, bombs and other "stuff" that has been tossed on this thread. Please check out carefully what Terry Bond is saying in his post. If any AACA region or other car club takes Terry's suggestions seriously and follows them they probably will be OK and not need frequent cardiac interventions. And by the way Anne on e mouse, at least I'm not a Disney clown.<p>[This message has been edited by ted schneider (edited 07-06-2000).]

• 1 year later...
Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

I brought this back to the top because I wondered "what ever happened." As I have settled into our local club, I can see this very thing happening to us. <P>THOLLOW5, are you still out there? How are things going? Did it get better or worse? Did any of these suggestions help?

Boy, this thread is a scorcher -- I'm almost afraid to venture in.<P>The Wisconsin Region is an 'old' club by the definitions given earlier, but it is still a lively club. Yes, there are those who want to take it a little easier, and there are others who are still very willing to make their mark. One lesson: I have to constantly remind myself (and others!) that this club is made up of volunteers. We can't treat fellow members as employees or they will balk, quit or hide. Some people are natural leaders and we strive to encourage those amongst us when they exhibit those tendencies. Some are truly followers, and the leaders have to be willing to show them the way. After all, one can't be a leader without followers!<P>We have several tried and true events that our core membership approves of and supports. Each year we also try to add new, unexpected events to coax the others (and the regulars) into attending. Sometimes we find a new favorite and sometimes we bomb outright, but at least we tried!<P>Our region is a social club, but founded on the love of old cars. It is as essential to us to meet when our cars are stored in the farthest reaches of garages across our area, as it is to tour together during the height of car season. We truly enjoy each other's company and we hope that that interest in each other comes across as welcoming rather than cliquey (sp?).<P>The biggest burden for our region is convincing the younger people that car ownership is NOT a prerequisite to joining the club. Many potential members feel at a disadvantage if they don't own at least one AACA-compliant car, yet they are often not at that time in their lives that this is an optional purchase. Yet these same people could bring a new perspective to the region, if we only gave them a chance. Like everyone else, we're struggling with the "how." I, for one, am very interested in any constructive comments offered here on the DF or in day-to-day discussions with other AACA members.<P>Keep the comments coming!<P>Jan K.<BR>Wis Region