Ooooooooh I can't stand it I want it I want it I want it!!!!!!!

Guest ZondaC12

Guest ZondaC12

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buick-Bui...sspagenameZWDVW

It's my car! Only with TWENTY-five thousand miles. They say it isn't verified....but I believe it alright. WOW. Amazing. That's only the second 38 whistler grey Buick I've ever seen other than my own! I found one on a Swedish car club's site that is restored, THOUGH it was a Century. It looked beautiful.

Oh no......

Paul, I am afraid you have been afflicted with the malady that has stricken most of us here, Once you get one Buick pretty soon you have two, then another one comes along that you have to have and soon they start multiplying like hangers in you closet.

Some of the other symptoms include continually looking at ebay and the want ads, a seriously depleted bank account and the fact that all your frinds have grease under the finger nails.

You are still young and can avoid this if careful. Go to college and become a boring old stuffy math teacher. The full workload and lack of pay will take care of any desires for fine automobiles you may have.

If I insulted any math teachers with my seriously tongue-in-cheek reply, I apologize. I wouldn't be where I am today without the help of numerous math teachers.

BTW, I can see why you want the car....

Guest ZondaC12

Oh don't worry I have every intention of.....doing absolutely NOTHING to combat the illness!!!!!! laugh.gif

That's precisely why I'm going to school for Computer and Systems Engineering. I made the comment to my mom recently about how everytime I see the old-car buddies I have at the shows and cruises, they ALWAYS ask, "so hows school goin/been?" and she said "well they're your elders and they want to make sure you're sticking with it". I guess the drop-out rate is much higher than I would have thought.

Sheesh if I do that THEN where am I????? YES at times I wish it would just all go away. This winter break, which ended 2 weeks ago, was VERY welcome, after a VERY rough last few weeks. But it's a means to an end! First of all since childhood I always saw college as simply "the next step after hs", and now, knowing the money involved in this crrrrrrrazy hobby, that's become my primary reason. So hopefully I can keep up the two I have now, have ample garage space to store them in, and maybe add on some undetermined amount of vehicles laugh.gif .

I definitely want a restored/survivor in perfect shape '38. I've decided that I will have MINOR bodywork done to this one to repair rust HOLES. That's it. Other than that it's staying as is. Mechanical overhauls will be done but I would like one in 100% all-aspects like-new condition as well. Since this one must be left alone...I need another. And it will probably be a black one. *sigh* I feel the same way, black seems to be THE color for them. But I gotta keep the original grey on this one, you just dont SEE that a lot, and its the correct one for THIS car!

***EDIT----ONE thing to note though! Look at his weatherstripping! The ONE thing on that car that is in exactly the same shape as mine! NOT to brag, but I can't help it. My passenger side rear door seal is actually solid and alright-looking laugh.gif In fact out of all 4, the only one that looks like that is the driver's door. The trunk seal is good too. Heck of a miracle there!

Guest imported_Thriller

Paul,

Don't be in too much of a rush to want more...speaking as someone who has more cars than space to store them, it puts one in a quandary. If you do it like me, you'll also be buying projects which languish for years patiently awaiting the day you will work on them.

As for getting a close to identical car, I'd be worried about that...before you know it, you could become obsessed with making each one look and behave as good in the other other car - it all starts innocently enough with weatherstripping, but then the other one will feel neglected and start sputtering, so you tinker to get it running better, then the other one gets a scratch, so you clean and polish and wax it, then something goes on the other car and...well, I hope you get the drift grin.gifwink.gif

I am slowly learning to keep away from ePay...the next goal is to get a single roof to put over all the Buicks' heads where I can putter and tinker and sit and admire...hard to do if I procure another one....

Guest ZondaC12

Well I know a couple of people that have cars in odd places around their households. I would like em all under one roof, so, daily drivers as the possible exception, there will NOT be anymore than there is garage space.

Several times I have been tempted to buy a running, driving '41 Century sedanette so that I can start playing cars RIGHT NOW (there's a super nice silver-over-black one locally that I could probably acquire). But I figured if I had one like that, it would put a real crimp in my restoration efforts and would mine ever get done at that point? Would it be worth finishing if I could spend the money on a decent driver instead and have a very nice car that much faster? It feels like betrayal in some ways.

I was also recently tempted by a '41 Roadmaster convertible that came onto my radar. Maybe a driver, maybe needing some restoration. But it is a much more valuable and desireable car than my Century. Would I start cannibalizing the Century to build the Roadmaster?

I guess what I'm saying is that I am planning to stick to one at a time. Focus on that project, get it where I want it, then start the hunt all over again. Trying to chase multiple mice down multiple holes will only exhaust you and your resources.

It's also a space issue. I have 6 cars right now, and have them stashed all over the city and piling up in my driveway. Storage is definitely an issue.

But that's just me. Kudos to the guys who can successfully work on several at a time. I couldn't do it.

Guest ZondaC12

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt Harwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would it be worth finishing if I could spend the money on a decent driver instead and have a very nice car that much faster? It feels like betrayal in some ways.</div></div>

And this right here is obviously why any of us choose to fix up a heap in the first place! We all know that generally, economically its a horrible decision to restore a vehicle versus buying one thats BEEN restored, but its a "labor of love". I can see this side of it too. I'll have to see how I feel. Practicality may win over, and I think I may just want to "start playing immediately" and just have a '38 that's the way I want it.

Honestly, I'd be overjoyed if I had the extra cash to put a set of Trippe lights, a sunvisor, and correct rear fender skirts on! THOSE are things I want very much too. Especially the visor! It makes a car look like its wearing a hat or something! I love it! But it's MUCH more important right now that the car get gas and oil! grin.gif

Hey Zonda did you save the ebay photo's of the car like yours? They might come in usefull for you while working on your car. Every time I see a car like mine on ebay I keep the photo's. It's real useful when putting something back together, if I forget to take a photo myself. Also You might see the car come up for sale again in the future and you can look thru your photo's to see if it is the same car.

Sometimes I see the same car on ebay multiple times as it moves around the country and people do a little work to it here and there. A lot of those cars People buy them then find out how much restoration work they really need and then pass them on.

I don't know what is worse? Cars or women??? crazy.gif Work to support and spend your money on both. eek.gif

Atleast when you done you still have the car that is as faithful as you old dog. cool.gif

With woman, you never know. Here today, Run off with another man tomorrow. cry.gif

Dandy Dave!